It is currently October 5th, 2024, 2:29 pm

voodoo

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 11:20 am   
Team Member

I had the old 4 cylinder 40 on my voodoo when I was around 12-15 and I had a couple of props for it (most were aluminum), but I had a chopper which was an 18 but cut down to a 17 pitch. And even that was pretty hard to get out of the hole with but once it was up and going it was good.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 11:46 am   
Team Member

Welcome to the site!
Glad to hear there are more fast boats coming to the lake.
My dad and I have a new model Voodoo and a Crtichfield both with OMC 70s, on long lake.
Where on Six Mile are you?
;)

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 12:05 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Isabella_Steamroller wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
What gear ratio are those things?? That seems like a lot of prop for a 40hp

Agreed... Considering my 60 merc only spun i believe a 16 chopper. Maybe it was an 18 but i dont think so.... On a voodoo. And it ran tits imo

There was a 60 merc on that voodoo when I got it and he was running an 18 pitch chopper on it. Those mercs have a ratio of like 1.64 or 1.67 or something like that. The OMC's (40 or 60) are 2.42-1. Gonna be way different for prop. 18" on a 60 merc would be like 23" on a 60 omc (just guessing) and the 40hp will need much less than the 23 I'm sure.

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 12:12 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:

Where are my OMC buddies?? I'm being picked on by a bunch of Yamaha and Merc Guys!! :cry:

So... The newer 40 is prop shaft 40hp, so It should run high 40's on that boat IMO. The Gear ratio is 2.42:1. If the motor turns 6000 rpm (good lake r's) with a 23p prop @ 15% slip, it will run 46mph.

LC's Delta and Erik's Voodoo both ran low to mid 50's with 50 prop shaft hp. They would turn around 7000 rpm with a 23p OMC cleaver.

Dave :ugeek:

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 12:26 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

WalkWithMax wrote:
DoktorC wrote:

Where are my OMC buddies?? I'm being picked on by a bunch of Yamaha and Merc Guys!! :cry:

So... The newer 40 is prop shaft 40hp, so It should run high 40's on that boat IMO. The Gear ratio is 2.42:1. If the motor turns 6000 rpm (good lake r's) with a 23p prop @ 15% slip, it will run 46mph.

LC's Delta and Erik's Voodoo both ran low to mid 50's with 50 prop shaft hp. They would turn around 7000 rpm with a 23p OMC cleaver.

You'd probably know better than I would. I'm just pointing out the ratios are way different on those mercs and can't really compare them

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 12:31 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

WalkWithMax wrote:
DoktorC wrote:

I wasn't picking on you this time Dave :)...We used to run those 18p Choppers and 16-18p yamaha props on a Pro50 so the 23p seemed like alot. Like I said...I don't know much about OMC so You and LC would know best here.

One thing to keep in mind is that the standard voodoo is significantly heavier than LC's Delta or Your Alliston...but the pitch will probably be about the same it just won't spin 7k

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 1:31 pm   

I appreciate all of the feedback. There is a lot of knowledge here and this sure helps when trying to get things done. Kevin has a 17" through hub stainless for me to start with. I guess the worst would be too high R.P.M., but I was going to disable the VRO and run premix with synthetic oil anyway.
Hydroid Jr, - thanks for the welcome. We are in East Hungary Bay. Always loved fast boats, I use to have a 16' Charger dl with a 120 Johnson that to this day I regret getting of.
Any other advice would be more than welcome. I always prefer learning the easy way and not the hard way. :)

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 2:08 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

johnny rotten wrote:
I appreciate all of the feedback. There is a lot of knowledge here and this sure helps when trying to get things done. Kevin has a 17" through hub stainless for me to start with. I guess the worst would be too high R.P.M., but I was going to disable the VRO and run premix with synthetic oil anyway.
Hydroid Jr, - thanks for the welcome. We are in East Hungary Bay. Always loved fast boats, I use to have a 16' Charger dl with a 120 Johnson that to this day I regret getting of.
Any other advice would be more than welcome. I always prefer learning the easy way and not the hard way. :)

This is a really good time to be running one of these boats...there is so much interest now because of the T class that there is a TON of info at your finger tips (and right here on this site I might add). Once you get out and your son gets a feel for driving a little Vee bottom you can easily fine tune the setup and prop. There's enough props floating around 6mile I'm sure that you could spend a week testing before you got through them all.

Get some pictures up in the readers ride section too!

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 2:19 pm   
Team Member

JR, were you looking for a hydro last year for your son?....we may have discussed it, I had one for sale, actually bought by WWM for his lad. I may have flown past your place in my red hydro last spring.

Glad to see another T boat/potential racer on 6ML,...bloody epidemic. Every evening is race night on The Mile. Cant imagine how anemic on other lakes, racing & pacing your T against 12 yr old kids in their tinnies.....LOL, race training against 'Walkers'.

You'll have to come out to a couple of races w son, lots of fun,.....meet this Rogues Gallery of characters posting here.
Cheers!

PS: we're often testing on Wild Race Bay, just up from you.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 3:15 pm   

Yes we were. I think I remember seeing you go by last spring amazed at how fast that thing went !
Looking forward to meeting the "characters" in real life. :lol:
Thanks DoktorC, Will work on some pics soon as its uncovered.