It is currently October 6th, 2024, 6:35 am

Proposition to Himagain, Northbase and LittleCharger.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 12:48 am   
Team Member

To me I think it is pretty cool the heaping spoon fulls of power people squeeze out of motors. No shame in strapping on tons of power and gunning for the kessell run in under 12 parasecs.

The guy over on S&F goes on to say his 150 is not stock in his defense.

I am with you Dok - why not start at 200/225 or go grab a 280 if that is your thang.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 9:11 am   
Team Member

dubber wrote:
People just need to be realistic with the alleged HP strapped to their boats. I get it that it is cool to say what you ran real fast through years of research and top secret setup but there is only so much setup you can do before needing gobs of power and torque...Take 2 non matching HP decals to actual HP, one gps recall snapshot, a few internet posts and presto...living legend.

you have a valid point there with the one gps recall statement, I had my best recall on my last run of the season [Aug.] My xr6 carrier broke and disengaged the reverse gear! I had my daughter [95lbs.] with me and saw 7 on the tach! I was real happy until I fired it up again and had no prop action! I'll have to wait for gig's carrier and next summer to confirm or shootdown my 90+ run!Hopefully his carrier with the reverse bearing in it will free up some shaft h.p,and my boat is allowed to run formula class!

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 12:52 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

dubber wrote:
To me I think it is pretty cool the heaping spoon fulls of power people squeeze out of motors. No shame in strapping on tons of power and gunning for the kessell run in under 12 parasecs.

I am with you Dok - why not start at 200/225 or go grab a 280 if that is your thang.

Me and LC are going for the 10 parsec barrier next summer....he's the lightest Chewie that will get in a boat with me :mrgreen:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 1:14 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:

Me and LC are going for the 10 parsec barrier next summer....he's the lightest Chewie that will get in a boat with me :mrgreen:

LOL!!! I was hoping someone would take the bait on this one ;)

So am I crazy to think that when I read a motor is stock is it not supposed to be essentially out of box from the manufacturer? When someone starts changing the compression, pulling parts from the higher HP version of the block and while sure the parts are stock from the manufacturer but you no longer have a stock 115, 150, 175, 200 etc..

Second question - what can you do and not do to make something "pro stock"?

Third question - why not just get the dang thing dynoed and thus prove your HP and setup prowess or is this too simple of a thought?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 1:52 pm   
Team Member

Check ODBA for ProStock rule. Porting timing must be stock I think. And normally when people are talking "stock" motors it's more like Stock-ish. Bolt on parts but stock port timing and internals.
That's normal

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 1:57 pm   
Team Member

dubber wrote:

Some people like to actually learn and tinker. . . as well if they can learn from the stuff they can afford then why not. If the world could just go out and afford a drag motor way more people would've owned one. I respect a person for doing 90 mph with something they learned and put together way more then a guy with a fatter wallet. . .

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 2:10 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeff Yammer wrote:
dubber wrote:

Some people like to actually learn and tinker. . . as well if they can learn from the stuff they can afford then why not. If the world could just go out and afford a drag motor way more people would've owned one. I respect a person for doing 90 mph with something they learned and put together way more then a guy with a fatter wallet. . .

Oh come on Jeff....these guys are NOT kids learning and tinkering on a budget here. I work on my own shit because its the only way I can afford to do it (to the point I build my own boats)...I have total respect for the speeds, the hours on setup.....all of it....but don't call shit a stock 150 that clearly is not.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 2:32 pm   
Team Member

Hey I'm not calling it that they are. I was just clearly stating what they and most think of as a stock motor. It's all stock porting and internals. Not me remember. .

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 2:58 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeff Yammer wrote:
Hey I'm not calling it that they are. I was just clearly stating what they and most think of as a stock motor. It's all stock porting and internals. Not me remember. .

So technically your saying my motor is a stock 225 in there eyes.... Even though its 327..

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 3:15 pm   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:
dubber wrote:

Stock-ish isn't stock but it is clear where they are coming from now as they try to justify stock. Bolting on HP IMO shouldn't be stock any longer. Just because you pull parts from a donor 2.4/2.5/2.6 from blocks, to carbs, to heads, cranks, to whatever doesn't mean at all it is still a "stock" 150 or 200. Just because it came with a merc or yamaha part # doesn't mean that it is stock for a given motor. I am totally cool with someone tinkering to learn (heck I am doing it) just don't tout it as a 150 any longer.

I guess what is needed is a new class - frakensteined stock than it would be more clearly understood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next