View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2024, 5:12 pm   
Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHHYTEBt_qw

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 3rd, 2024, 10:35 pm   
Team Member

I was asked if this was the fastest T850 boat on our record. The answer is NO.
The fastest one to date is 80 mph. But just looking at the speed readings, they suggest Jesse is running a race course prop and not a kilo prop. He has excellent acceleration through the midrange right up to 75-76 mph. If they ran more pitch they would loose much of their acceleration, but they would add 3 or more mph to the top end.
Interesting that back in the early days of EP when we had the comp light weight VooDoo and followed by the critchfield.....the fastest kilo boat with the same motor was the VooDoo. It was 2-3 mph faster in a straight line. The critchfield was the better turning and handling boat on the race course. The APBA EP record is held by a 14 foot Allison at approximately 71-72 mph.
Those were 49 cubic inch OMC motors back then.
Our T850 class has a maximum engine displacement of 60 cubic inches. The extra horsepower and better propellers have raised the level of performance.
We have many VooDoos running on our lakes and I know of one racer who still has a passion for racing a VooDoo.
The surprise this year in T850 is the return of the delta hulls.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2024, 12:01 am   
Team Member

I was remembering the Comp VooDoos that did race in T850. I think they are still around.
These are the light weight ones....I am not referring to the normal weight VooDoos.
The oldest would be the red metal flake one it had 650XS, Yamaha 70CES and last raced in T750 with a twin carb 60 hp mercury.
Rick, Paul and Mike all built VooDoos one winter. Rick and Paul built open deck boats, Mike built a custom closed deck version. I believe Rick and Mike still have their boats. Paul’s was sold a few times. Andrew raced it one season.
There was a red and white one that was raced by several people in EP. someone was going to repair it a few years ago.
Mike’s closed deck one is the one I would like to see back racing In T850. It could be very competitive. Rumor had it Mike may return to racing.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2024, 3:08 pm   
Team Member

There’s are least two more comp VooDoos
- Herb had a black one
- Frank had a blue one
Both were original deck models
Last time I saw Herb’s in had a mercury 650XS.
Frank’s had a mod 70 Yamaha

Not be be left out is an original comp hydrostream vixen .
Tim is restoring that boat. Tim has a few engine options.
The boat was running an Evinrude hustler in FE class here in Ontario. That was the last time it was run. It hasn’t ever been used as a lake runner. Pretty special history.
Tim has built a 56 OMC and a 90 Yamaha for it. Both engines are short shafts with small gearcases,

PostPosted: August 7th, 2024, 12:35 pm   
Team Member

GPS read 78.9, we think we could run 80 in the fall with some better air and bigger jetting, this was in July last year.