It is currently September 28th, 2024, 12:22 pm

What is a Yamaha Excel?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 4:37 pm   
Team Member

beavertonae-21 wrote:
promax was kept at 6800 to keep the oil injection I was told. Alot of builders say to ditch it anyway, not sure on that. Yamaha sea trials back in the late eighties reported 89 mph on radar with an excell on a ae-21 , not sure of prop.

You are correct... they are limited to 6750...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 4:51 pm   
Team Member

talonkid wrote:
I've heard from a couple of different people that the original 225 promaxes are just 225 horsepower. However the 225x (newer models) is 240hp stock and has a slightly higher rev limiter than the 225 promax.

That was my understanding.
My guess is the promax on a light hull would win hands down everytime where as the Yamaha offers itself as a more torque' motor for something heavier like an AE21 or any V-bottom loaded with a Cole sized ego.
I'm still a little suprised they squeezed 89 out of a stock yamaha/ae21. perhaps it was lighter then most.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 5:15 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

p man wrote:
any V-bottom loaded with a Cole sized ego.

Ya....that's right...ego is earned buddy....earned..

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 8:11 pm   
Team Member

Nice motors but pretty old now to be buying one and expecting new motor reliability?

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 9:00 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

David wrote:
Nice motors but pretty old now to be buying one and expecting new motor reliability?

Seriously...my 1990 225 is still spotless under the hood, has stock compression, and when I pulled the heads off 3 years ago there was zero wear on the cylinders. Are all 225 yamaha's going to be like that...well...no...but they are VERY good. Mine has been well looked after but driven VERY hard and other than a water pump impeller, plugs and one spark plug cap it's never needed any parts...ever. None of us would expect new motor reliability considering they are 20 some years old.....but there is no other motor that I wouldn't think twice about buying. We all know that to go REALLY fast you need a merc and or merc components...but it's hard to beat these things for reliability..

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 9:18 pm   
Team Member

What is the availability like? Can you get solid mounts for the 225s?

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 9:24 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

David wrote:
What is the availability like? Can you get solid mounts for the 225s?

There's lots of Excels around...seems like the 225's are harder to find. Solid mounts, reeds, nosecones are all common and easy to come by...

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 9:48 pm   
Team Member

dubber wrote:
wildcatt wrote:
Hmmm ... I just thought it was a fishin' motr?

I like mine

Didn't like the cowl much though. Here's the new version

Tom that looks outstanding! I have a couple of cowls and the one is minty (for my new 225 ironically) so I am doing minimal with it. My old turd though I could spruce up. Who did your decals?

Thx Jon - I did the paint and graphics myself. Made new files for the graphics from a picture of BeavertonAE21's. Then added the Stainless Steel, and front and back graphics. I had my regular graphics guy I use for work - run them out and cut them for me. It's vehicle wrap vinyl with laminate.
The decals were a giant PITA to get all off. The Japanese glue they used is crazy!
Anyhow - I'm fairly happy with the outcome.

LOVE the engine. Very reliable and runs strong - for a 24 year old bone stock engine.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 10:02 pm   
Team Member

talonkid wrote:
I've heard from a couple of different people that the original 225 promaxes are just 225 horsepower. However the 225x (newer models) is 240hp stock and has a slightly higher rev limiter than the 225 promax.

I struggle with this as well. I've seen a few of the identicle boats to me getting lower numbers with the X. Im sure the X is smooth and nice but I don't think it has more power. I really don't think that ANY 225 hp rated motor will run with an early promax. I may be wrong.. But I read alot on the internet. :ugeek:

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 10:24 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mitchie wrote:
Im sure the X is smooth and nice but I don't think it has more power. I really don't think that ANY 225 hp rated motor will run with an early promax. I may be wrong.. But I read alot on the internet. :ugeek:

Totally agree...your PM was stout...no question. I can't see the X making more power...if it did it would be neglegable..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next