It is currently October 16th, 2024, 6:30 am

Mercury 60R VS Formula Race 60 & ....ECU Upgrading ??

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 25th, 2024, 10:19 am   
Team Member

We have a few Formula Race 60 models in the region. One of the first tests was on a new Tuff 16 boat. It’s results were surprisingly good...64 mph. In T750 we had another one race. It had a GPS lake run of 65 mph. There is another one currently running on a Voodoo on 6 mile.

There are several long shaft production models around and one short shaft currently being run on a Delta.
I don’t know of any 60R models .

Here is an article comparing the two models.
https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2022/8/ ... p-outboard

ECU performance upgrades on the 60 mercury 4 stroke.
First of all it is possible to upgrade a 40 or 50 hp model to a 60 hp. The upgrade is not done by a flash but by replacing the 40 or 50 hp ECU unit with a 60 hp model and removing the air restriction in the intake. There are YouTube videos and several web threads on this being done.

Now “FLASH “ upgrades are a different story...So Far!
In 2019 myself, Ron Hill and I few others were looking the possibility of a flash ECU upgrade for the 60 mercury 4 stroke. Our findings were that the motor had very weak valve springs and not a performance cam shaft . Unlike the 75 hp which could be upgraded to 100 hp, the 60 hp was maxed out. Simon Motorsport said they could flash the 60 hp and get maybe 5 hp more and maybe 200-300 rpm more. The cost of $600. US. Ron was looking for an aftermarket supplier to manufacture a better cam shaft, lifter and valve spring upgrade. There wasn’t a good enough return on investment for the supplier. So that was the end.

Now when you search the web there are flash upgrades. This one claims 15 hp....better midrange.
BUT! I can’t find any proof that it’s been done or any video results or customer reviews!
https://www.lethalperformance.com/vr-tu ... at-32.html

If it is possible to upgrade the 60 to 75 hp...many of us are interested.
Maybe someone has more comments to add.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 25th, 2024, 5:22 pm   
Team Member

The QUIET RIDE!
This is an in-line 2 seater offshore racing V hull. Very conservative engine height.
Heavy hull compared to a TBOAT.
Yet it runs low 60’s very easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGLe0PzI28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfssIiM1wew

PostPosted: September 30th, 2024, 1:24 pm   
Team Member

I've been looking into standalone ECUs for the 60 merc. Id like to move up the rev limiter / play around with tuning and not have to pay someone every time... if anyone would even do it.

Im seeing 63mph... short 60-4S/Delta with a 23 cleaver. I'm running a 2:1 gearcase. standard production ECU has a soft limiter at 6150Rpm and a hard limiter at 6200. It is hitting the hard limiter with the 23. If it doesn't respond well to moving the limiter up then I will have to change gear ratios.

From what I can tell there is no difference to the 60R and 60APX cylinder head /cam profiles. They let them rev up to 6300 or 6400 now. With a warranty still! So maybe 6500 is possible without major failures. These motors are getting cheaper and cheaper, they haven't changed in over 20 years so lots of parts available !