It is currently October 5th, 2024, 12:36 pm

the countdown starts NOW !

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 9:45 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

wildcatt wrote:
I'm just about done re-rigging etc. Should be ready to go as soon as the ice is out.
Couple years ago we were skiing 5 days after the ice was out. Mid April I believe.

I've got the navionics app on my phone and I love it. Used it last year on our trip up the trent. Got us across Simcoe and and back, as well as into Orillia in a rain storm. Couldn't see a damn thing. Just followed the app and it took us right into port.

I would use it a bit first Before relying on it soley James.

what did you have to re rig? yamaha?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 10:35 pm   
Team Member

As intriguing as it is (I too would LOVE to say I did it) and totally possible to run across G-bay on a very calm day I would likely run out of gas as the outter islands come into sight and the thought of refueling in the middle and a wind has blown up is not appealing to me!

Better start studying the weather patterns Mitchie and get a good compass for when you gps dies. And a set of charts, maybe even a sextant, LOL, you do not have good luck with these types of adventures! I love ya too much brah and am attempting to be a voice of reason to you. I still recall the 24' Wellcraft that made the run and when he left they were calling for smooth sailing, that is until he ran into 3-4 footers that are NOT wind chop according to a poster on S&F...

Now to answer the question I would love to be out in April, not sure it will happen as that is when wifey is due so probably May sometime....

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: February 27th, 2013, 10:50 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

The bay doesn't blow up in an hour....but plan to stay over...

Dok's rules for Bay crossing..

1. July
2. EARLY morning
3. Plotter and charts
4. Phone
5. SuperDave waiting

The bay can blow up in the afternoon so that your trip would suck but it usually takes a full day or two of good wind to blow up to death waves. Mitch has a place to stay and a truck to drive if the return home can't be made by boat....

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 12:08 am   
Team Member

Agreed on all the criteria Dok. Mitch already lined me up As well to bring his truck around too - he has to work on Mondays LOL!

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 7:47 am   
Team Member

rule 6: Mitchies Sail!

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 8:25 am   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
wildcatt wrote:
I'm just about done re-rigging etc. Should be ready to go as soon as the ice is out.
Couple years ago we were skiing 5 days after the ice was out. Mid April I believe.

I've got the navionics app on my phone and I love it. Used it last year on our trip up the trent. Got us across Simcoe and and back, as well as into Orillia in a rain storm. Couldn't see a damn thing. Just followed the app and it took us right into port.

I would use it a bit first Before relying on it soley James.

what did you have to re rig? yamaha?

No - I've been re-doing everything and setting up the Johnson. I'll be running it for a bit too see how it works.

I'm not sure exactly what you would consider "crossing"? But, a bunch of years ago we were camping on Beausoleil Island and with the help of some "regulars" we decided to make the trip to Midland.
It was a super calm day and we were using the Glastron CVX16 with a BM175. The trip was great and we had no issues going across and coming back.
Spent a few hours touring Midland and then headed back to the island.
The next day - we were coming back from Honey Harbour to the island (inside the "protected" area) and the wind came up. Even there, I managed to submarine the Glastron into the side of a wave and swamp the boat. Had about a foot of water in the bottom. Luckily the engine stayed running, it didn't sink and we were able to pump it out.

Pretty interesting area. Especially now with the water so low.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 9:55 am   
Nightmare

If my boat was in the driveway... Id probably be sitting it

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 9:57 am   
TORC VP

I was on the water march 26th last yr! I will be out again as soon as it is soft!

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 10:41 am   
Team Member

It will be a scary endeavor... But Dok is right. If it's calm here.. And I call Dok and its glass there... The forecast calls for less than one half meter... I'll be into the islands in 45 - 50 minutes. I'm sure Dubs that the watson family has the charts. I will have a compass and a handheld, plus I won't do it without a plotter.

A couple degrees out and I'll wonder why two hours later I'm in kilarney.. lol.
Tom.. Check google maps and look at how daunting this run would be.

P.S. Mom hates the idea more than you do jon.

I also would ideally like dave or somebody to meet me at the islands or the umbrellas...

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 11:39 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

mitchie wrote:
It will be a scary endeavor... But Dok is right. If it's calm here.. And I call Dok and its glass there... The forecast calls for less than one half meter... I'll be into the islands in 45 - 50 minutes. I'm sure Dubs that the watson family has the charts. I will have a compass and a handheld, plus I won't do it without a plotter.

A couple degrees out and I'll wonder why two hours later I'm in kilarney.. lol.
Tom.. Check google maps and look at how daunting this run would be.

P.S. Mom hates the idea more than you do jon.

I also would ideally like dave or somebody to meet me at the islands or the umbrellas...

its no scary. its worse when your north of Pointe au baril in the challenger with no charts or GPS.... this crossing is a peace of cake.

your setting your self up for failure thinking this is the journey of a lift time. should be able to see Christian island not to long after we pass Vail's point then We'll be able to see Christian till the Western islands... then its easy.