It is currently September 30th, 2024, 11:26 am

T850 Engine Rule "SUGGESTIONS" for 2013

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 12:01 pm   
Team Member

LittleCharger wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
[
Steve, I wonder why you have not seen any V6 3 cylinder convented motors in this class. You may recall that happened in SST70 . Guys took a 140 cu inch Mercury V6 and convented it to run on 3 cylinders instead of 6 thus giving them the 70 cubic inch. I have a broken 2 liter Mercury Champ motor which would be perfect. I think I better keep it for T850 to run on a 15 foot Viper.

I would suspect that the 1/2 a v6 would be too heavy for a slt as it would be for a 13ft t-boat.

Time to get building Don, I will be curious how it handles in the corners with all the weight on a Viper. Although it is lighter then a traditional v6 it's still heavy relative to a traditional 3 cylinder. What gear case would you run? Counter rotating to match rotation of crank?

Paul, it actually works out very well. I would use a 15 ft Viper. The 15 ft Viper already has proven it can handle a V6. I have several mids. My 700X is a 15 inch and a 1500XS stock foot bolts right on, I can add a nose cone and the stock position water pick ups work fine. Switching the ignition to right is no problem., but I will keep it left and run left turning props for better turns. I will need to make a change in the mid and weld in a V6 top portion. I have that off my XR4. The compression test will be easy to pass.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 12:33 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:

Paul, it actually works out very well. I would use a 15 ft Viper. The 15 ft Viper already has proven it can handle a V6. I have several mids. My 700X is a 15 inch and a 1500XS stock foot bolts right on, I can add a nose cone and the stock position water pick ups work fine. Switching the ignition to right is no problem., but I will keep it left and run left turning props for better turns. I will need to make a change in the mid and weld in a V6 top portion. I have that off my XR4. The compression test will be easy to pass.

The vipers I've seen with v6 are lake boats and not roundy round boats, so I will be curious to see how a viper works, it won't be the fastest boat off the dock for a lemans start with all the weight in the ass end. There was a vixen with a v6 also but blew it over.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 8:01 pm   
Team Member

70 ci would be 1147 cc, over the limit :geek: , X can go to 61 ci. :shock:
also weight is important, those things must have been heavy. ;)
thundercat motor weights (to date)
motor weight [lbs] source
40 yamaha 167 http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/serv ... 89_602.pdf (may be wrong year)
50 Tohatsu tldi 195 http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_ma ... B_TLDI.pdf
sst60 180 sst60-19F owners manual
75 stinger 197 75742 owners manual
40/60 59ci merc??? anyone? :?:

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 8:40 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I'm thinking of running a 16 Laser with the nose cut off and a V4 yamaha with only 3 of the 4 pistons in it...on Jet A.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 9:14 pm   
Team Member

I was down at TIBS TORC booth to-day to speak with the 2 side by side trailer fellow, Brant was there ahead of time and he is very interested in building trailers for TWO T's. While at the booth Speedmaster Ted stopped by. I asked him what motor he would run if T850 was a MOD 60 cubic inch class. Quick reply... 2 liter Champ motor on 3 cylinders. Steve, 2 liters is 120 cubic inch. One bank is 60 cubic inch. Ted knew much more about the these motors than I do. He said they run one bank and there is a difference in performance using one side over the other. He has actually seen the motor and seen it run. The sound is unique. The cost to build one was not too high provide the one GOOD side was still good in the block.
Here is a link with some more info.
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... ight=SST70
Paul I think your right about the Viper as a circle boat. A 15 foot Allison is much better. The Viper is said to better in a straight line. No question, the motor will be heavier, about the same as a V4. The costly part is the left hand props and the billet carrier. I will need more than one gear case with different gear ratios to take advantage of the 10,000 rpm possibilites. Ted recalled that the motor was a rocket off the dock as all SST70 heats are Lemans starts. Even if T850 goes Mod , I don't think I will built this right away. Craig Fraser was speaking to a very wealthy man at the show who currently spends $800,000.00 a year on his race cars. He calmly says ...I'll just tell my guys here's $20,000.00 build me a power head! Now, if that guy run's I will propose a claim rule...ANY POWERHEAD CAN BE PURCHASED FOR $2500.00!

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 11:46 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
I'm thinking of running a 16 Laser with the nose cut off and a V4 yamaha with only 3 of the 4 pistons in it...on Jet A.

DOC, I found you a motor in Assie land. Well at least the powerhead is Yamaha..
QUOTES FROM THE OWNER:
3 cylinder race motor
this engine is very customised
very fast with lots of spares
custom made front half with duel throat carbs(omc)
v6 reed cages
light weight flyweel
custom exhast tuner
revs to 8000 rpm
15in midsection omc
2 gearcases
1 chrysler racinggearbox 14/13 overdrive
1 mercury ssm 13/16 twin pinion
5 props
through transom trim

Rick, I am getting a picture. The intake is copied after the MOD 50 OMC with 3 two barrel carbs. That is why it can have V6 reeds. Since the mid is a modified OMC. You would have to use an OMC foot or a mercury. The weak point would be the yamaha ignition. I will e-mail the picture when I get it. Likely Monday.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 11:16 am   
Team Member

Not to be out done by the MOD Mercurys and the MOD Yamahas, here is one of many options for the OMC guys.
Mike Hooper already has the platform for this motor.
You take an original MOD 50 OMC and resleeve it to 60 cubic inch.
You still could use the original 35 hp long rods, but with the larger bore you removed 2 problems from the original design. The longer rod was used because the shorter rod would hit the inside of the motor,. This will not happen with the larger bore. The extra cubic inch will greatly iimprove the torque without loosing the rpm. You already have all the good stuff with the original motor. intake, carbs, flywheel and tuner. Pistons for it should not be a problem. You should be able to find a snowmobile one that will work. There are several professional builders in the states that have a lot of experience with MOD stuff. MOD C, SST70, MOD VP, MOD U, MOD UU, Formula V are all clases that tried MOD motors. THEY ALL DIED! REASON! THE RACER WITH THE MOST MONEY WINS!
Now look at SO MOD D in TORC. How many boats in that class? How many are entered in that class by a single family.
Don't make changes for your own personal gain. Think of what is best for T850. I have NEVER and repeat NEVER in my decades of racing ever seen a racer with a LEGAL motor object to a tech inspection. They want it inspected to show the group they were legal.

Last edited by Hounddog on January 20th, 2013, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 11:25 am   
Team Member

Craig Fraser was speaking to a very wealthy man at the show who currently spends $800,000.00 a year on his race cars. He calmly says ...I'll just tell my guys here's $20,000.00 build me a power head!

Rick Hendrick and Jack Roush are running Gravenhurst too! ;)

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 11:33 am   
Team Member

SHIVERS wrote:
Craig Fraser was speaking to a very wealthy man at the show who currently spends $800,000.00 a year on his race cars. He calmly says ...I'll just tell my guys here's $20,000.00 build me a power head!

Rick Hendrick and Jack Roush are running Gravenhurst too! ;)

It wasn't them. It was a fellow with a fleet of British race cars. The fellow was even more interested in his son racing in Stock Outboard. He wanted to do the same thing with the SO motor.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 12:09 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Politics will kill the class faster than whatever label you choose to define "us"...ep, sst45, sst60 are all dead stock classes too. We're arguing over defining a class that is already operating reletively smoothly...let's try not to get too deep into this where we're scaring away new and old racers because of percieved infighting. Remember its 20 laps of racing in a weekend...we spend more time bitching about definition than we do racing...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next