It is currently September 28th, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thoughts on Vegas XT?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 6th, 2012, 11:07 pm   
Team Member

Please read the posting on S n' F and share your comments. Anyone with experience with the Vegas or any similar boat please comment and share your thoughts regarding performance and handling. Thanks ;)

Posting:
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... will-find!!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 6th, 2012, 11:43 pm   
Team Member

very stable hull,looking for a cottage boat? this one looks good too, I talked to that guy when he was installing the 2.7 heads a few years back, the lower carrier is pinned, the 3 litre loopers are good motors too, this one seems to have everything done that you would need to have a nice rig.

Steve

PostPosted: October 7th, 2012, 10:30 am   
Team Member

beavertonae-21 wrote:
very stable hull,looking for a cottage boat? this one looks good too, I talked to that guy when he was installing the 2.7 heads a few years back, the lower carrier is pinned, the 3 litre loopers are good motors too, this one seems to have everything done that you would need to have a nice rig.

Steve

Steve, very glad to get your opinion, given your experience. Funny that you should have connected with seller. Do you recall how long ago you spoke? Can you comment further on XT performance characteristics vs. AE-21, vs Vking. Vegas XT seems to be a blend of the two.

Are you running OMC or Yammi?

Erik

PostPosted: October 7th, 2012, 12:20 pm   
Team Member

I think he installed the heads three or four years ago if I remember correctly, the compression should be around 125 lbs if the exhaust relief holes are left open, and 140plus if they were filled, I think he left them open if memory serves, I think he has also removed the oil injection(VRO) and gone pre mix witch is a good safety factor on these too.I updated mine to the newer 4 wire VRO, Mark has since bypassed it and pre mixes.Setup like this they will run almost forever. fuel milage around 6500rpm is alarming, as with most of the carb motors LOL but fun! I ran an OMC 3 litre looper on my last boat V8 charged ownes it now, the 17' Panther with the 3 liter looper, I also had 2.7 heads etc. the vegas xt is still made Eric, John Spaeth still has the molds, the AE-21 is a tri marin and the V-kking a v-pad, people call these an air entrapment v, they ride flat compared to the V-king, more like th ae, I have only ridden in the 18, Valero xt. I would say this would be a great combination of power and hull, the OMC's go a long time between rebuilds as long as you don't run them lean. The one thing I would check very closely, as with any boat made is their time is the transome and core/bottom, there is no sure tell , but take a rubber mallet and listen and look for de-lamination bubbles cracks in the transome,and put some weight on the motor cav plate and watch for transomme flex, if all looks well, this one looks to have been kept out of the weather. he has it set up very well too. give me a call @ 416 526-9889 or stephen.hobberlin@bell.ca if you want to have a chat Eric.

Steve

PostPosted: October 7th, 2012, 12:35 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

beavertonae-21 wrote:
I would say this would be a great combination of power and hull, the OMC's go a long time between rebuilds as long as you don't run them lean.

Those Hydroid guys would never dream of running lean....they prefer Rich on Air :shock:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 7:02 pm   

The XT is a great performance Hull and wrapped in a Vegas Deck it’s an all around good HP lake boat that gets you home in the ruff stuff too.

They do like big power and big setback. We have found that with 240+ Hp they like about 8” of setback and up to as much as 14” with as little as 200 hp. The biggest reason for the power and setback is that the hulls do have an “stuck-unstuck” sensation that requires power to get it unstuck and flying. This happens in the 70 mph + range so you in order to make it run you need the power.
Since the boats have lots of frontal area, they can kite and lean at speed.

We have been able to make them run squarely into the 80s with 200 Hp and setup and as hi as 90+ with 250 hp . For props…if the engine is rev-limited like a PM a high rake 32” Merc Cleaver worked good and for HP type motors in the 250 range, a 28 Chopper II works great.. Hope this helps and good luck ;)

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 7:16 pm   
Team Member

Johnsons GT200 is the same motor as the Evinrude 200XP with midbore carbs, both are actually 225 hp. they weigh 440lbs.

Steve

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 11:05 pm   
Team Member

Anthony/Steve, great feedback guys. Wheels(props) still turning on this. All around comment seems to be XT is great lake boat. Looking to upgrade from '95 18' 3.0L bowrider(1800lb); great boat, just looking to move up from the 'tub'.
XT weighs 900 + 440, 1350 total, very portable. Hull @ 20', 1' jplate, 3' engine, 24' fits under boathouse.
Bowrider going up for sale.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 8:24 am   
Team Member

Eric, the fun factor compared to the bowrider( considering what else you guys drive) will be off the scale. I was going to warn you it might be a little noisy with the exhaust snout, but then I remembered what lake you are on LOL! actually they sound really mean, it will blend in with the thousands of t-boats on the lake LOL

Steve

PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 9:31 am   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:
Anthony/Steve, great feedback guys. Wheels(props) still turning on this. All around comment seems to be XT is great lake boat. Looking to upgrade from '95 18' 3.0L bowrider(1800lb); great boat, just looking to move up from the 'tub'.
XT weighs 900 + 440, 1350 total, very portable. Hull @ 20', 1' jplate, 3' engine, 24' fits under boathouse.
Bowrider going up for sale.

that looks nice! Just remember if you have used your bowrider for sking tubing i dont think youll be doin that with this :)

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc