It is currently September 28th, 2024, 2:13 pm

playing on muskoka...

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 12:58 am   

where do they go soft.. my buddy didnt luck out with his charger TV the knee braces have separated from the transom and its starting too crack and open up :( i just did the transom in my sidewinder and dont really want to do another unless i absolutly have too, its not a fun job :? im not overly concerned about blistering top speed as much as driveability/fun too driveability,, and i want too be able too throw a few boys and girls in for a day trip now and then so charger seems more what im looking for than a v-king altho i do love the hydrostreams , the ae 21s on here have me looking at tunnels but i donno if my excel is enough power for a 21' boat.. soo many options, think of the possibilitys.. :shock: i really have had no intention of having a fast boat untill this spring when my one buddy sold his winder and bought a DL and my other buddy showed up with a TV suddenly my 40hp springbok didn't seem right,,,next thing you now i have a baja x 15 for a week then a sidewinder rebuilt the next month,,,and now a few rides in on the winder and im thinking about chargers,and hydrostreams ,,,,WHAT DID I DO? whats next? :roll: :lol:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 7:53 am   
Team Member

It has been brought to my attention that posting a 5' - 100+ pass is not in the best interest of the FB community and I have to agree.
In hind sight - perhaps I was a bit over zealous regarding the 5' comment?

I don't have an exact measurement - but I think my point is still pretty clear

As far as performance of the DLs - there are lots out there and some have hit higher speeds, but low 70's would be average for a reasonably set up rig with a 200 or 225.

Some seat time is required to be comfortable, but that's no different than most padded V hulls

I've hit 80 with mine. Mostly around 73 ish though.

Great all round boat.

The early 80s vinatges seem to be thought of as the best builds, but 28 odd years later - every one of them could be a sponge.

If you can find someone who can prove a rebuild - that would be your best bet. Or - buy a turd and fix it yourself. Then you'll know the quality of the repair.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 8:18 am   
Team Member

Tom,I think I remember Rick saying he got the best speeds on his dl with the propshaft 3/4" or 1" above the pad? I bet that would get you up around 6400 rpm and low eighties with the Scorpion.

Steve

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 9:01 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

beavertonae-21 wrote:
Tom,I think I remember Rick saying he got the best speeds on his dl with the propshaft 3/4" or 1" above the pad? I bet that would get you up around 6400 rpm and low eighties with the Scorpion.

Steve

I don't think that was in reference to the DL lol....it may be true but I never got that high because of my stock lower. That does sound like SRV info though.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 10:22 am   

[quote="wildcatt"]It has been brought to my attention that posting a 5' - 100+ pass is not in the best interest of the FB community and I have to agree.

same point has been brought too my attention,,,,,, I'm over it..................... say if find a late 90's dl what would be a good reason for me too not buy it? why are the earlyer ones better? are they faster? or built stronger? if i had the option of buying a turd (newer or older) what turd would be better turd after a resto.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 11:04 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
wildcatt wrote:
It has been brought to my attention that posting a 5' - 100+ pass is not in the best interest of the FB community and I have to agree.

same point has been brought too my attention,,,,,, I'm over it..................... say if find a late 90's dl what would be a good reason for me too not buy it? why are the earlyer ones better? are they faster? or built stronger? if i had the option of buying a turd (newer or older) what turd would be better turd after a resto.

buying a turd i don't think it matters what year you buy because you can build it to what ever quality you want. if i was giving advise i would say find one that looks great but is completely fucked inside... don't pay more than $1000 and if you get it done by my favorite custom boat builders Barron Custom Boats it will cost you around 5k for a re core, floor, transom and well delete. so at the end of the day you have a brand new boat for 6k..

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 11:16 am   

buying a turd i don't think it matters what year you buy because you can build it to what ever quality you want. if i was giving advise i would say find one that looks great but is completely fucked inside... don't pay more than $1000 and if you get it done by my favorite custom boat builders Barron Custom Boats it will cost you around 5k for a re core, floor, transom and well delete. so at the end of the day you have a brand new boat for 6k..[/quote]

that is the exact advise i was looking for,, everyone tells me too buy old, but why when i could have a newer boat, either way they probly would need repair,,, i was going too offer $2000 for the boat im looking at, ill low ball him at a grand know see whats up and use some of this info as ammo,, ill have to do the work myself its just how i roll,,

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 11:23 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

BoomerMuskoka wrote:

The older boats where better built...but they're old now. If you're fixing up a turd it really doesn't matter...I'd pick the one in best cosmetic shape. The DL is a great boat...lots of room for people and classic looks. I loved mine....and my wife is still pissed that I sold it to Dubber lol

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 11:26 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:

The older boats where better built...but they're old now. If you're fixing up a turd it really doesn't matter...I'd pick the one in best cosmetic shape. The DL is a great boat...lots of room for people and classic looks. I loved mine....and my wife is still pissed that I sold it to Dubber lol

Sell the SRV!!! :mrgreen: I might even know where you could find a little DL for your lake. :lol:

PostPosted: September 11th, 2012, 12:03 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:

wifes are always pissed about something :roll: lol I suppose a DL would be a nice step up from the winder..:( poor winder she getts the looks i was after but just isnt practicle for me, we had a good run..but who knows i might keep er another season. try for 75 mph

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next