It is currently September 28th, 2024, 11:34 am

Can a 60 hp E-TEC mount on a 40 E-TEC midsection?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 12:46 am   

Hard to believe anything in that thread is accurate. The original post says 15" pitch at 6000 rpm but with 2.67:1 gears so there's no way he hit that speed. Plus no speed was ever GPS verified. And 2 mph on a boat like that is worth like 6 to 8 horsepower so even if it was 40mph with a 20" pitch prop it'd be hard to say that it is a strong performer.

No doubt though that with those gears and a large diam prop it would accelerate well on a light boat.

Specs on the current 60 Etec say the gears are now 2.90:1!

If it had a smaller diam gearcase with a higher ratio, I'd be saving my pennies to replace a Yamaha 50 with one.

other interesting posts:
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... ost1934117

check the last post with photos here:
http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/ete ... se-5513827

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 8:53 am   

I looked at buying a new e=tec 60 4 years ago.
everything was looking great, no smoke, no hard starting nice looking smooth engine and low emissions.
Then I looked at how they perform on a 13ft classic whaler, man did i get a shock.
what a load of crap for supposedly high tec engine.
the old 2 cylinder 2 stroke 60hp can leave an e-tec for dead from the start, and is way faster at top end.

the e-tec 60 is a gutless engine for a 60hp, they praise it up against the slowest of the 4 strokes, but it realy is
not a strong pulling engine at all.
its because of its failings to push what everyone expects it to, BRP have changed the gear ratio to almost 3 to 1.
that's because there is no power in the engine like they tried to claim.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 9:48 am   
Team Member

I have never run a 60 E-TEC nor is there one near our cottage. My sister has a 40 E-TEC on a 15 foot Grew bow rider and is a very strong running motor for a 40 hp. I tested a 30 E-TEC on a tin boat a few years ago when we were hoping to start the GT30 race class. It was the strongest 30 hp motor I have ever run. The future is these type of motors for those of us that love race boats we need to try them and find ways to make them perform. T class is flexible and it would be good to have some technical non race guy play with one of these motors. It could be something very simple that makes it a competitive motor. Maybe?? The nitro foot bolts on?
Anyone here have a 60 E-TEC?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 10:07 am   
Drag Racing Sponsor

It's crazy how similar the lower units look from a 60etec to a 70hp OMC

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 10:24 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hevi Kevi wrote:
It's crazy how similar the lower units look from a 60etec to a 70hp OMC

Those do look identical...I wonder if the crank splines are the same.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 10:40 am   
Team Member

Many of the conversations I have with younger people interested in boat racing end because they are not interested in the old motors. They are plug and play people and they have money to spend on modern technology. We need to provide options to get them racing. We are very lucky to have a Mercury race 4 stroke option in T750. Having two of them in the class will attract more people to the class. It does not mean we need to forget the old school racers , we can have many different makes and models all being competitive.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 11:14 am   
Team Member

Ive had a 60 etec case and a 60 nitro side by side, even took pictures, they are a different spline from what i recall ,it was about 2 years ago i was looking at this real close, i cannot seem to find the pics, i figured a guy could bolt one on with a little work, i might have pics at home i can look.also you would want the ratio from the 70 hp case to run the same prop we run ,i think it was,to stay barely off the limiter ive wanted to find a cheap one,with a blown case still have the thundercat would be a good trial on it

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 2:27 pm   
Team Member

I think you are on to something here Don. Millenials, in general would be more inclined to makes some small changes via a technology interface than build an engine, and change jets, timing and such manually. Currently boat racing rewards the tinkerer which I don't think is a bad thing. It's part of the appeal for the groups that do it and why pretty much everybody in the community is friends.
Also want to say I have personal experience with a 50 etec. My BIL has one on a 15ft PolarKraft side console aluminum fishing boat. We were on holidays one year and it was the only boat we took. (I was in between vessels) It is not a light boat by any stretch or high speed but the torque really impressed me. I pulled 190lb man on water skis, deep water start without issue at all with 3 people in the boat. I destroyed a 260lb man on a tube that figured there was no way a 50hp could lose him. If you could get one set up right I imagine they would accelerate very well on a race hull. BTW this boat was not by any means underpropped in order to pull.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 4:18 pm   

the gearbox does look the same on the outside as the large omc gearbox, its nothing like a nitro and would be different
spline to a nitro.
I think the e-tec spline is the same as the multi spline on the triple.

these would only be any good to race against each other, they are slow, and I mean slow.
you cannot do much with these due to the computer firmware stuff. there is no upping the power as its up as much as possible already.

you will get the dreamers who say their boat with a 60hp e=tec goes over 45mph, ha ha ha maybe on a 10ft mini boat.

the 60, 75 and 90 are poor for power anything over 3500 rpms, they seem to have a bit of low down punch, but that's their wack.

the 90hp e-tec on a lightweight raceboat managed to get to 49.87 mph in stock form (only thing allowed different is a prop and a jackplate)
stock means total stock retail , what lots of people call a fishing motor, no fuel management changes, total stock.

the prop used to make the record I own !!!
here you can see what the national record was in 2009, its now been upped to 50.??,

this in the green engine class................

not exactly bone shattering is it, ... the small e=tecs have their place in the boat market, cruising...

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 4:36 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I'm sure the 16 Tuff with a 60 Etec ran better than 45...but it wasn't terribly thrilling but that was a "big" boat with a full interior. It did feel more like a 4stroke than our motors.

Phil...the point about the gearcase being the same bolt pattern is that the nitro case will also bolt up...the spline will be changed to fit.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next