It is currently September 29th, 2024, 5:31 pm

Honey Harbour

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 2:14 pm   

Anyone in the Honey Harbour area want to do help me show me around the waterways a bit? Just put a deposit down on a boat, I'll be picking it up in 3 weeks! The only problem is that I don't know where all the rocks are... If someone is up for boating in May (early May? Late May? When do you all put your boats in?) let me know, and we can figure something out?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 2:51 pm   

You can never know where they all are! Lol i never really go south of the harbour much by your area but central and north i know well. Im sure carlton can chime in to. The areas i know are pretty safe in and out of the main channel. The south side can get dicey if you just go on the wrong side of the marker let alone way out lol id buy a set of charts to, i keep a set even tho i know the area, always good to have a back up if you get some where new/ forget.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 2:57 pm   

Well right now my biggest issue is getting out of Macey's Bay to be honest... I went out in a small aluminum boat last year, and to get to the main channel I passed over a massive rock face. It was only about 2 feet deep, I could have easily stood there lol. After snowmobiling on the lake this winter, I noticed there is a hell of a lot of rocks in this area... And I bet most of it isn't marked.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 3:29 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Dave ray aka MOTOboat is in honey harbor. So is Carlton sometimes

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 5:48 pm   
Team Member

Did you come down to look at Hoppy's vector?

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 6:17 pm   

Just map out a safe route from your place to the main channel on gps and just follow that till your familliar with the water. Even after having a cottage in honey harbor for 27 years you still find new rock from time to time as water levels fluctuate

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 6:26 pm   

idvette wrote:
Did you come down to look at Hoppy's vector?

Maybe, just maybe :)

I'm still in a bit of disbelief, I'll believe it more when I can drive it myself :shock:

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 6:28 pm   

Carson wrote:
Just map out a safe route from your place to the main channel on gps and just follow that till your familliar with the water. Even after having a cottage in honey harbor for 27 years you still find new rock from time to time as water levels fluctuate

True, when I was roaming the waters of Parry Sound and the south channel I was always discovering new places, new rocks. Maybe it seems silly, but I'm actually rather afraid of this area in comparison to Parry Sound. This area seems much scarier...

Aren't the marine GPS systems like $500? Or do you mean another type of GPS, like on my phone?

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 6:31 pm   

Just get a hand held garmin, like the hunting ones. Just set a way point at your dock and mark you track to the main channel and set your other way point. Once youve done it a few times ull remember the way. I should ask my grandma, cows used to graze in macys bay back in 63 lol ultra low water

PostPosted: March 28th, 2015, 6:45 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

download the navionics app for your phone. its the greatest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next