It is currently October 5th, 2024, 5:53 pm

Matte Black Venom By Mach 1 Customs

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 1:23 am   
Team Member

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 1:44 am   
Team Member

VERY cool guys. Looking forward to seeing it this summer for sure.

Charger 18 DL, 2.6L Yamaha

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 6:51 am   
Team Member

Looks very slick! Any concerns with the wrap under the water line though? I looked at a boat years ago that was wrapped, it was blistering and holding water...

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 8:52 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

idvette wrote:
Looks very slick! Any concerns with the wrap under the water line though? I looked at a boat years ago that was wrapped, it was blistering and holding water...

should be interesting to see how it holds up. since i dont leave it in the water for more than 4 ish days max in the summer should be ok.. but you never know.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 9:14 am   
Team Member

I've had a number of conversations with my suppliers on this. Avery, 3M and Arlon all say that the product is not recommended below the water line. But it good above. I have quoted on wrapping a bunch of MNR boats, using the Avery product as well.
Try not to hit it too hard with the power washer etc. It's a good product, but will only take so much.

Looks killer James - perhaps do the engine as well. With just plain gloss black Yamaha letters, to finish the Stealth look.

Your going to need a black fighter pilot suit, and lifeline jacket and helmet to match the boat

Cole ........ James Cole!

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 11:41 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

wildcatt wrote:
I've had a number of conversations with my suppliers on this. Avery, 3M and Arlon all say that the product is not recommended below the water line. But it good above. I have quoted on wrapping a bunch of MNR boats, using the Avery product as well.
Try not to hit it too hard with the power washer etc. It's a good product, but will only take so much.

Looks killer James - perhaps do the engine as well. With just plain gloss black Yamaha letters, to finish the Stealth look.

Your going to need a black fighter pilot suit, and lifeline jacket and helmet to match the boat

Cole ........ James Cole!

interesting enough the paint they use for boats isnt recommended for under the water line... lol.. i would assume its the same for Vinyl where they just dont want the responsibility beyond the water line.

the engine needs something.. i like the gloss black idea.. im sure Zonkas mind is moving through ideas for that.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2014, 10:02 pm   
Team Member

The wrap that was blistering and holding water likely had water get under the wrap and cause it to fail. Possibly from not being sealed or overstretched in some areas causing it to pull back over time. Manufacturers and pretty much all shops don't warranty wraps under the water line but they're done all the time. See them all the time on Mastercraft wakeboard boats, bass boats, and lots of cigarette boats. I still have to go back and edge seal the Venom but once that's done it should hold up fine. I'm more concerned about the water pressure when on plane and running at 110mph lol
I trimmed just above any areas where the water would hit the hull while on plane though, and James' boats are never in the water while he drives anyways :lol:

PostPosted: April 9th, 2014, 9:31 pm   

looks good!, nice job.
in terms of wraps being below the water line, with liquid edge seal i have had a boat going on 4 years that I did a wrap job for and it has no issues what so ever.
done many boat wraps and still holding strong ski boats in musoka those guys love them

PostPosted: April 9th, 2014, 10:31 pm   

Wow it looks great. I never really thought about wrapping a whole boat. I assume you can undo it just like a car? Sure gives me some food for thought about my own vessel. Any idea how much weight it adds? I'm thinking it can't be too much. Can you just screw hardware back through it into existing holes? Sorry for all the questions but that shit has piqued my interest.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2014, 10:56 pm   
Team Member

Have you found any preferences towards liquid edge seal vs the 3M tape edge seal?

allstock, I'm not sure about the weight since measuring the roll with the backing paper on wouldn't be accurate, I'm guessing its around the same as paint though, but maybe someone else on here would have a better idea than me. Removal is the same as a car, and it's hard to tell in the photos but I cut out where the screw holes are.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next