It is currently October 5th, 2024, 10:36 pm

installing aftermarket efi on your outboard

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:27 am   

Supermitchie wrote:
All of my opinions on this sort of stuff comes from years of working in the powersports industy. Every day you get a new wizard of tuning(especially on the sled side) and they end up having something that does one thing sort of better, but at the expense of EVERYTHING else. Not to mention how if you are running at all on the edge with this stuff... A little lean and it gets really mean.

sounds like it would be easier to set up on a light drag boat that doesnt really have the load changed and is running wot for 800m ,, you could dile it in pretty easy for that use, but throw it on a lake boat and there are to many variables to tune a correct curve .. i have never even seen one in person. this is all french to me :lol:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:49 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Supermitchie wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
Supermitchie wrote:
dubber wrote:
This stuff fascinates me but every time I see a thread like that one it seems like it has an element of voodoo. It comes down to experience and money to master this stuff.

Is the MAD EFI really only tuneable to a set range (ie light loads or heavy) and you have to tinker with it when you change props as one poster said?

Right you are Kenny....

It looks cool, but in my mind...... Sucks. Instigator drag raced with one and was driving with one hand and turning the knob with the other.... Sounds like fun eh?

Hold the phone there Pal...

The SDS system that is the brains for MAD is infinitely adjustable (within the limitations of the hardware that you're using)...you build a fuel curve with a stand alone tuner. That's what takes all the time especially if you don't have an AIM dash, a dyno and all the rest to give you quick and easy feedback. Once you build a curve you can tune for conditions with the knob. Unless you're on the edge with your tune you shouldn't have to use the knob much...the knob moves the whole map +\- so if you are fooling with the knob while driving (unless you're you're losing and just flip the bitch to full lean as a Hail Mary) it probably means you need to edit the curve.

Shut the front door Chief.

The system has no sensors for temperature or humidity etc. It's archaic. You throw the wife in the boat and the whole thing is off. So basically you have to build a bazillion curves..... And forget about running if it's cold.

I know you know 10,000 times more than me about this shit... But it does not change the fact that it is a cantankerous shit show.

Dude...it has an ambient air temp and coolant temp...and tps...which is the same three sensors my sled uses to move itself around yard. The tuner is archaic..looking...but if you have the time it'll work. Look at the SDS website (simple digital systems)...

I still agree with cantankerousness of it all but most of that is the nut on the end of the handle and the hardware it's installed on.

Do you change your carb jets every time the temp changes??? I thought not :mrgreen:

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 11:05 am   
Team Member

Buy a clue Rick,

The smart dudes that have done this... Don't recommend it. :) I have a new fangled boat motor that I simply hit the key and it adjusts itself. Its unbelieveable.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 11:20 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Supermitchie wrote:
Buy a clue Rick,

The smart dudes that have done this... Don't recommend it. :) I have a new fangled boat motor that I simply hit the key and it adjusts itself. Its unbelieveable.

I'm not so much recommending it as simply saying that with enough time, drive and some sort of telemetry the shit works (ish). I don't have any of this myself but if a dude wants to give it a go...go nuts. And to simply state that it won't work because it has no sensors is incorrect...pal :mrgreen:

A can't afford a clue Mitch....clearly.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 11:26 am   
Team Member

Kiss my TPS!!!!!!

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 7:57 pm   

Supermitchie wrote:
Kiss my TPS!!!!!!

just wondering does that mean kiss my , tits , penis and scrotum. ? just asking because from a mechanics point of view I would say . throttle position sensor. which is adjustable and can be replace if nec. the for mentioned body parts are stationery and need a good scrubbing every now and then with hot water and soap and can not be replaced but could be repaired if you have enough money so it would be no different than buying a old mad efi system were you would have to spend cankerous amounts of money and 10 years trying to make it run right , just find out all the time effort and money spent was for nothing and then you end up buying a yamaha or merc or etec which will start up everytime and do what it was intended to do . just my 2 cents.

1981 charger dl v8 sold

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 8:09 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Ya...but any schmuck can buy an hpdi or wait for an Etec to self destruct...:)

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 9:02 pm   

DoktorC wrote:

not anyone can afford 1 hpdi or to buy a new powerhead for there E-tech every other year. im good with carbs even if there a little fukky some days on my everyday boat, i am going to play with efi on my play boat for now.. untill i can afford 4 stroke with a turbo that runs on kittens.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 4:49 am   

DoktorC wrote:

very true rick . or spend 15 or twenty grand a season to have someone else work on your boat and get grounded by your wife. for the rest of your life . when she finds out you spent your retirement found on a boat that you will never get your money back out of. :o :shock:

1981 charger dl v8 sold

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 9:12 am   
Team Member

When I was looking at newer motors.... Every other H.O. etec had a "new powerhead". That was terrifying to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next