It is currently October 5th, 2024, 10:28 pm

installing aftermarket efi on your outboard

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 9:35 am   
Team Member

dubber wrote:
This stuff fascinates me but every time I see a thread like that one it seems like it has an element of voodoo. It comes down to experience and money to master this stuff.

Is the MAD EFI really only tuneable to a set range (ie light loads or heavy) and you have to tinker with it when you change props as one poster said?

Right you are Kenny....

It looks cool, but in my mind...... Sucks. Instigator drag raced with one and was driving with one hand and turning the knob with the other.... Sounds like fun eh?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 9:49 am   
Team Member

[/quote]I think from a Yamaha stand point you could run factory manifolds/injectors and use a Brucado merc box to run it all if you needed to play with fuel curves....doesn't have the cool factor of the MAD stuff though.
[/quote]
The MAD SDS system is a bit dated , but for a Yamaha ^ Doc has it right. And that's cool to me ..... splice , tune and run .... easy to make work too

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 9:50 am   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

[quote="Supermitchie"]…. Right you are Kenny....

I didn't say any thing :?

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 9:56 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Supermitchie wrote:
dubber wrote:
This stuff fascinates me but every time I see a thread like that one it seems like it has an element of voodoo. It comes down to experience and money to master this stuff.

Is the MAD EFI really only tuneable to a set range (ie light loads or heavy) and you have to tinker with it when you change props as one poster said?

Right you are Kenny....

It looks cool, but in my mind...... Sucks. Instigator drag raced with one and was driving with one hand and turning the knob with the other.... Sounds like fun eh?

Hold the phone there Pal...

The SDS system that is the brains for MAD is infinitely adjustable (within the limitations of the hardware that you're using)...you build a fuel curve with a stand alone tuner. That's what takes all the time especially if you don't have an AIM dash, a dyno and all the rest to give you quick and easy feedback. Once you build a curve you can tune for conditions with the knob. Unless you're on the edge with your tune you shouldn't have to use the knob much...the knob moves the whole map +\- so if you are fooling with the knob while driving (unless you're you're losing and just flip the bitch to full lean as a Hail Mary) it probably means you need to edit the curve.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:01 am   

v8 charged wrote:
if I was to buy an outboard tomorrow it would be a 300 xs . i run and work on omc outboards because its a great hobby and you have to make these omc outboards run, you have to build them to run. its a lot of work and that is why I do it.

ps I love my 2001 280 2.5 . ted speedmaster had his hands on this motor and runs flawlessly I would not trade this motor or sell it for anything

mark at first this is why i WAS interested in omc,they are difficult and i wanted a challenge, but bit off more than i could chew so im sticking it out with Yamaha for the long hull and am playing with mercs now for a " challenge"

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:07 am   

LittleCharger wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
so... dok.... how hard would it be to mount a merc efi horn a yamaha? :lol: :D

Go for it Boomer...what's the worst thing that could happen...one less Yamaha around! :mrgreen:

keep dreaming, it da yammie

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:09 am   

DoktorC wrote:
Supermitchie wrote:
dubber wrote:

Right you are Kenny....

The SDS system that is the brains for MAD is infinitely adjustable (within the limitations of the hardware that you're using)...you build a fuel curve with a stand alone tuner. That's what takes all the time especially if you don't have an AIM dash, a dyno and all the rest to give you quick and easy feedback. Once you build a curve you can tune for conditions with the knob. Unless you're on the edge with your tune you shouldn't have to use the knob much...the knob moves the whole map +\- so if you are fooling with the knob while driving (unless you're you're losing and just flip the bitch to full lean as a Hail Mary) it probably means you need to edit the curve.

this system sounds like it would rock on a drag boat,,, and suck the knot on a lake boat.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:11 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Jeff Yammer wrote:
I think from a Yamaha stand point you could run factory manifolds/injectors and use a Brucado merc box to run it all if you needed to play with fuel curves....doesn't have the cool factor of the MAD stuff though.
[/quote]
The MAD SDS system is a bit dated , but for a Yamaha ^ Doc has it right. And that's cool to me ..... splice , tune and run .... easy to make work too[/quote]

Ya..it's dated but it is simple for a DIY guy...just time consuming. If you enjoy that aspect of it then it's fun, cool and unique....but I'm with Mitchie, my boating time right now is at a premium so I just want to turn the key and go. There is, however, a large part of me that love to mess with shit that may never run lol.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:12 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
Supermitchie wrote:
dubber wrote:

Right you are Kenny....

Shut the front door Chief.

The system has no sensors for temperature or humidity etc. It's archaic. You throw the wife in the boat and the whole thing is off. So basically you have to build a bazillion curves..... And forget about running if it's cold.

I know you know 10,000 times more than me about this shit... But it does not change the fact that it is a cantankerous shit show.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2013, 10:16 am   
Team Member

All of my opinions on this sort of stuff comes from years of working in the powersports industy. Every day you get a new wizard of tuning(especially on the sled side) and they end up having something that does one thing sort of better, but at the expense of EVERYTHING else. Not to mention how if you are running at all on the edge with this stuff... A little lean and it gets really mean.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next