It is currently October 6th, 2024, 4:17 am

Fuel Issue( has any one ever seen this)

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 6:51 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

idvette wrote:
Not to go against what you said Steve, but usually fuel and water will be yellow and cloudy, then seperate after a few minutes, you will actually see the fuel floating on the water, or a few water "bubbles" in the bottom of the fuel. Had to do a lot of fuel testing last winter at the shop, a few stations had water in their fuel, which was icing up in the tanks at 40 below and plugging up filters so the vehicle wouldn't run. I'm not used to seeing orange fuel. If it doesn't seperate after sitting I'd think it was something else. Not saying it isn't water, it could be, but I'd let it sit, see if it seperates.

I'm with you on letting it sit and see if it separates....or if it is rust you'll see the rust start to settle at the bottom. It's clear that you got a batch of shitty fuel at some point though....not cool..

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 7:24 pm   

idvette wrote:
There are additives mixed with fuel that are supposed to absorb a certain amount of water, maybe different manufacturers use different additives, maybe they turn different colours at different thresholds. I don't know. But cloudy yellow is all I've ever seen. Did I mention it will seperate??? Lol

Ethanols one of those additives, itll chew rubber and metal if left long enough when it's mixed with water. As the dok said let it sit for a bit, if theres water in the fuel it will seperate. I agree with Steve that it's a common problem in sleds, seen it a few times but never as orange as that. What I've seen was almost a mix of that and the usual yellow gas turns.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 10:45 pm   
Team Member

my friends sled that had the worst oarnge fuel I have seen , only had it in the tank for a weekend. I am not sure it was water thought you might be right, ther was no separated water, nor did the oarnge settle out of the fuel, I was told by a sled dealer at the time it was water and I figured that must be it as the fuel was only in the tank a short time. the sled would not run worth a crap on it. the other times I saw this were after off season storage. I dont think Charlie has had the plastic tank in there more than a month or so.The older rubber as stated does not like ethanol I replaced every bit of fuel line on my excell as it was starting to break down. I have some of the older rochestor quadrajet carb floats go soft too. I was thinking about my earlier post at my sons hockey game tonight though , I did nor see a pool of water in the oarnge gas I have seen so who knows? bad batch of fuel or reaction to something other than water?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2013, 10:50 pm   
Team Member

How old is the water separator? perhaps the element inside has torn and the crap it filtered out is mixing with the fuel? ... I'd replace the element/filter (is it like a mercury thread in type?) and check what the output fuel looks like

Take a fuel sample from various areas in the fuel system to determine where the problem ... is the fuel in the tank the same as it is after it has been through all the stages of filtration?

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 3:27 am   
Team Member

Its 3:11 am read all your posts Thanks for the input.. The idea of a bad water separator sound like the culprit How old the filter who know how long it was on the shelf This is Sudbury Nothing moves around L.O.L. I drained 5 gallons today and the gas is clear. and the orange fuel must be in the engine system.

The fuels lines for The Yamaha VMAX what diameters should I really get .I get different answers to this .Present its 5/16 from the tank to the separator ..From the separator to the brass connector. From the Brass connector to the engine

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 8:31 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Bad_Influence wrote:
Its 3:11 am read all your posts Thanks for the input.. The idea of a bad water separator sound like the culprit How old the filter who know how long it was on the shelf This is Sudbury Nothing moves around L.O.L. I drained 5 gallons today and the gas is clear. and the orange fuel must be in the engine system.

The fuels lines for The Yamaha VMAX what diameters should I really get .I get different answers to this .Present its 5/16 from the tank to the separator ..From the separator to the brass connector. From the Brass connector to the engine

I'd be inclined to use MERCURY 3/8" silver hose. It's very good hose that is designed for ethanol (as are your hoses on the motor). While you're at it figure out a way to mount the Yamaha big filter.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 9:05 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

DoktorC wrote:
Bad_Influence wrote:

I'd be inclined to use MERCURY 3/8" silver hose. It's very good hose that is designed for ethanol (as are your hoses on the motor). While you're at it figure out a way to mount the Yamaha big filter.

best hose ever made.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 11:41 am   
Team Member

I have it on my excell LOL. I thought I would be banned from the site for mentioning it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 12:20 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

beavertonae-21 wrote:
I have it on my excell LOL. I thought I would be banned from the site for mentioning it :mrgreen:

Don't be silly..they make good fuel line, gearlube and the best Chinese outboards money can buy... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 2:18 pm   
Team Member

I knew that was coming, couldn't resist lighting the fuse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next