It is currently October 6th, 2024, 10:20 pm

Lake Cumberland accident

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 7:34 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

allstock wrote:
KAL Racing wrote:

Holy shit... That guy murdered two people. Gives a good reason to have a closed course for poker runs when you have speeds in excess of 150 mph on a public waterway.

Am I missing something? Are talking about the pleasure boat getting on plane? If so that guy I'm sure was trying to get the eff out of the way with 2 150mph giant boats bearing down on him....AND he actually has the right of way...it totally sucks that this happened but from every angle it seems that speed is what got them..

I'm all for speed...but when shit goes bad its bad and if we shouldn't point fingers at a guy who could very well have no idea what the hell was coming at him....it would have looked like 2 747's coming at you...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 8:50 pm   

I'll have to watch it closely on my desktop, but it sure looks to me like the "spectator" just pulled out in front of a lot of boats traveling at a high rate of speed, causing one to have to take evasive action. Right of way or not, those two boats were bearing down hard, if he wanted to get out of the way he could of at least ran parallel to them and not completely cut them off. Shoulda coulda woulda, many more incidents like this will spell the end of similar events without SERIOUS changes to how they are run (like closing the waterway to spectators) will spell the end IMO.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 9:18 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

It looked to me as though he was trying to get out of the way...either way there's a whole lot there that resulted in a terrible accident. And exactly what you say will happen unless there is a shift in thinking when it comes to poker running...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: September 9th, 2013, 9:45 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
It looked to me as though he was trying to get out of the way...either way there's a whole lot there that resulted in a terrible accident. And exactly what you say will happen unless there is a shift in thinking when it comes to poker running...

It's getting a little ugly over at OSO. Lots of finger pointing regarding spectator boats crossing, water patrol telling them to cross etc etc. Seems like there has been several incidents at poker runs in the last few years, many fatal. It seems a bit like the Wild West, any rich douchbag can buy a 3000+ hp boat and pay the entry fee and go...qualified to drive it or not. I'm not saying every "poker run" guy is like that but as most of us know...only takes a few to ruin it for all.