It is currently October 6th, 2024, 12:25 am

nikasil bore,,PLEASE HELP,

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 4:53 pm   

i have a question about nikasil mabe some one can answer, i picked up a manual for a 2.4l bridgport, (thank you allstock) it says in bold letters to never,, hone a chrome or nickel cylinder,,now i dont know if this applyes to all nickel cylinders but....... a couple years ago now i blew up my snopro 440, and needed one cylinder re plated and 2 new pistons,,, the cylinder that wasn't damaged i took into a local machine shop for him to inspect while he sent off my bad cylinder, when i picked up both cylinders he said he did me a favor and ball honed the original (good) cylinder,, i didnt know and still dont now much about rebuilding motors,,, and still havent started the motor in question, its been sitting in my closet waiting for the chassis to be rebuilt :roll: ,, will this motor live? or should i pull the honed cylinder try to find my receipt and see if he will fix it at his cost? I wish i looked into this sooner, i kind of raised an eyebrow over it at the time but assumed the professional would know.. :oops:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 5:13 pm   
Team Member

I am no expert but I have had good Nik cylinders cleaned up with a fresh ball hone by some reputable people.
Block came back with fresh cross hatching and have not had any issues.
Once your plating it worn out though a hone will likely do nothing but instigate flaking.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 5:39 pm   

p man wrote:
I am no expert but I have had good Nik cylinders cleaned up with a fresh ball hone by some reputable people.
Block came back with fresh cross hatching and have not had any issues.
Once your plating it worn out though a hone will likely do nothing but instigate flaking.

see thats what im thinking, the cylinder wasn't the greatest to begin with,im worried its going to flake around the ports he said it was good 2 go! and he didnt hone the fresh nikasil, i think im screwed even if it isnt right, any warranty would be long expired, i suppose i should just spark it up and see what happens, if it pops ill know what to do next time. :|

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 7:45 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

We used to ball hone Jordan's race sled cylinders every time we re-ringed it (once or twice per season) and it lived a long and health life....and it spent all its time at 10k....and made a shit tonne of power...if the cylinder wasn't fuckered before it is unlikely a ball hone would make it worse...it basically just deglazes it....

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2013, 7:50 pm   

DoktorC wrote:
We used to ball hone Jordan's race sled cylinders every time we re-ringed it (once or twice per season) and it lived a long and health life....and it spent all its time at 10k....and made a shit tonne of power...if the cylinder wasn't fuckered before it is unlikely a ball hone would make it worse...it basically just deglazes it....

it kind of looks like it cut into the nikasil,, it didnt look like any steel sleeve iv seen after a hone,,just seemed bad,, thanks for the help tho,, ill sleep a little better tonight :lol: i'll run it as is, if i ever get the chassis back into one piece :lol: i might not find out for years :roll: :oops:

PostPosted: August 25th, 2013, 12:50 pm   

Unless your using diamond stones all you'll do is deglaze the cylinder not actually hone, which is good. Places like millennium tech recommend the use of a flap brush style hone as it has no chance of catching a port and chipping the coating at all.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2013, 12:05 pm   
Team Member

I've used the ball type hones on nykisil bores without any issues. Only sleds so far though lol.

Steve

PostPosted: August 26th, 2013, 3:29 pm   

Most people use a ball type on them the coating companies just don't recommend as there is the chance chipping the coating, even though it rarely happens.