It is currently September 20th, 2024, 10:57 pm

WAS IT A SPLASH BOAT OR FROM ORIGINAL MOLDS?

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 17th, 2024, 3:38 pm   
Team Member

Definition:
A splash boat is copy of a boat made from the mold taken off an actual manufactured production boat. The boat used to make the mold could be a splash copy as well. Sometimes they modify the boat before making the molds so the boat produced from those molds is different.
Many times the owner with the original boat molds modifies the original molds to produce a different boat.
Some splash boats are very easy to tell the difference. Others are very difficult. Most times the best way and only way to tell the difference is by the serial number molded in the fiberglass of the boats transom. Provided the original builder put serial number information on the boat or had a sticker or plate with the information.
I am only referring to fiberglass boats .

What is your experience with splash boats?
What model of Boat was it?
Do you know who built it?
Where was it built.....in Canada? ..elsewhere?
Was it mass produced by a boat manufacturer or sold as build to order by an individual?

Some original molds from American boat manufacturers were shipped to Canada and those molds mass produced Canadian manufactured boats.

Younger people would be interested in knowing about
Checkmates..............Ted Quinn Marine Panther Boats
Hydrostreams...........Canadian Edition Hydrostrean Canada
Seebolds..................Sidewinder Boats
STVs.......................Charger Boats
Other performance boats in the 10 to 22 foot size.
Any Allison splashes?
Any Switzer Craft splashes?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 18th, 2024, 10:43 am   
Team Member

My Rapid Craft Cyclone:
Here is the story of this boat

The Outboard Pleasure Craft division in the American Powerboat Association needed a race class to replace EP which was similar to our T850. The new class was called SSV . Same motor as SST 60 but the boat was a production fiberglass V hull with a monitory safety cell. Minimum weight boat motor and driver 950 lbs.

A new boat was build for the class in Brighton Florida....it was called an “SSV”. A few were built and there were a few races in the southern United States but the class never developed national interest and basically died.

Another V hull class started called Formula V. Modified motors of different sizes on different sized safety celled or safety caged V hulls. Racers could put a safety cell or a safety cage in an older open style V hull. The boat length, boat weight varied according to the size of the motor. The larger the motor, the bigger the boat and the heavier the total weight.

Baker Marine liked the class. They thought a 49 OMC on a lighter version of the SSV hull would be competitive in FV. Rapid Craft was a boat builder of high performance boats. Baker Marine purchased the SSV molds and contracted the Rapid Craft boat company to build a lighter version on the Brighton SSV boat from the original molds.

The race version of the boat was called “CYCLONE “ it is approximately 225 to 240 lbs bare weight.
It’s easy to tell the difference between a Brighton SSV and a CYCLONE. The construction is the same but with less material. You don’t here people refer to the two different boat versions by their original names. People call both ...a Rapid Craft.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2024, 10:24 am   
Team Member

Sidewinder...Fibertron(spelling?)....Seebold Eagle ...Seebold Warrior

Sidewinder Boats in Ontario built several models including a 14 foot V hull.
A splash of that 14 footer was manufactured by Fibertron from what I learned were mainly pickup truck cap manufacturers. The sidewinder splash was the only boat they built.
The splash doesn’t have the molded fiberglass back to back fiberglass seat frames. Reportedly not as well built as an original sidewinder.

Seebold Eagle was a 20 foot mod VP tunnel. The Seebold Company shipped the original molds plus a couple of finished boats to Sidewinder in Ontario . Sidewinder did manufacturer several of these boats using the original molds. The Sidewinder copies do have serial number information on the transom.

Seebold Warrior was the 18 foot version of the Eagle. The original 18 foot molds were shipped to Sidewinder but to my knowledge Sidewinder never built an 18 foot. There was one complete 18 footer shipped from Seebold along with the 20 footers. The Warrior model had raced in APBA Mod VP Class. The Seebolds decided they wanted to try racing the Warrior in Mod VP again so the molds were shipped back to the states.

Cobra boats I was told were copies from the original Sidewinder molds

I don’t know where any of these molds are now.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2024, 5:45 pm   
Team Member

Delta’s
Good timing for this listing to appear on marketplace.
Not an original delta mold but a splash mold.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... qCcpUWYC8h

There is a new splash delta racing in T850 class this season and a second delta which has the new replacement deck on a restored delta.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2024, 7:45 pm   
Team Member

My Delta was 12' 9" and this one is according to the seller is 13' 6"

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2024, 12:01 pm   
Team Member

sharpeye Mike wrote:
My Delta was 12' 9" and this one is according to the seller is 13' 6"

Mike maybe the seller hasn’t actually measured his boat.
I have seen in pictures a 13-14 foot deltas. However Jeremy Dunn had the only 14 footer I have seen in person . That boat had a safety cell installed. There is a second 14 foot without a cell in Ontario.
In the case of a 13 footer many times the owner is just rounding out the number.
https://www.reddit.com/r/boating/commen ... ?rdt=48284

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2024, 5:53 pm   
Team Member

Yes I do remember seeing a 14 footer for sale. Some of the members here, went to look at it but reported that it was in rough shape.