It is currently May 7th, 2024, 6:28 am

Please School me on Deltas

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 6:05 pm   
Team Member

Hevi Kevi wrote:
hec2buck wrote:
Hi Kev, no, about 1/16" over a 3/4" length.

Got it

I am not sure if this is the same idea. On my first Delta I straighten the pad which had a hook in it. I took a 1/8" thick, one inch wide 90 degree piece of aluminum and mounted it on to the back of the pad with it screwed to the transom. I put slots in the transom aluminium piece so I could increase the amount of lip. It didn't work, but I did find that if I extended the aluminum piece back 1/4 inch making the pad 1/4 longer it worked. Problem with the aluminum piece was it broke off. But, on Jim's 650XS cricthfield we did the same thing only in wood.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 6:43 pm   

Are these types of pad mods allowed, based on the current written rules? :geek: ;)

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 7:57 pm   

Prove it! lol

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 9:44 pm   
Team Member

mattmak wrote:
Are these types of pad mods allowed, based on the current written rules? :geek: ;)

The rule states you can straighten the pad. Many of the boats especially the Allison had different pad width on the same model and other boats had lips and hooks in them. There was a wide difference in boats because of all the copies (splashes). If the change in the pad was done in the mold ....legal. If done after on the boat...illegal... they couldn’t enforce the rule because there was no way of knowing if the lip was there in the first place and the racer put it back in after straightening the bottom. Same with the width of the Allison pad. All the NEW Florida Allison’s have the narrow pad. Many original Allison’s had a wider pad.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 10:26 pm   

Love our delta with the sst 60 on it. Boat runs extremely stabile at speed and runs 70-73mph depending on the prop. It turns pretty sharp but I typically do not turn at the speeds you guys do in T850. It is somewhat sensitive to trim as the boat is a potato chip, always get it up to speed before making a huge trim change. I stood mine up first day out with the sst60 at about 60mph.

Blueprinting the bottom I think is what makes the boat so nice to drive. I put more hours than I could count getting the pad level and all the chimes squared up again. Definitely worth it though hahaha

PostPosted: January 16th, 2020, 11:43 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
mattmak wrote:
Many of the boats especially the Allison had different pad width on the same model and other boats had lips and hooks in them. There was a wide difference in boats because of all the copies (splashes). If the change in the pad was done in the mold ....legal. If done after on the boat...illegal... they couldn’t enforce the rule because there was no way of knowing if the lip was there in the first place and the racer put it back in after straightening the bottom. Same with the width of the Allison pad. All the NEW Florida Allison’s have the narrow pad. Many original Allison’s had a wider pad.

The rule states you can straighten the pad.

Good Q Matt to cite the rules. I doubt anyone currently racing T750/850 with trailing lip able to demonstrate their hull came with same either from the factory or before they acquired it. New Critch & Allison molds don't have the lip.
Let's not create ambiguity that a lip 'appeared' or was 'restored' after straightening pad.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2020, 1:35 am   
Team Member

First off I don't believe there is any hull problem with the current T boats racing.

HISTORY LESSON

ORIGINAL DELTA FLYER
American built.....came in one colour...WHITE
Jake Kennedy son of Kennedy Boats owner got one and brought it to Canada. They racing it in CBF FE class.
He did very well. Problem was the boat breaking up after a few races. They patched it and decided to make
molds from that boat. So all but 2 boats are very likely to be a splash of a splash. The original Flyer had a
large hook in the bottom. The copies do not because Jake had reworked the bottom to remove the hook.
Later copies were made from older tired boats, so they are different again. Many of those have flaws including a large lip because of a
poor mold or poor boat building.

CRITCHFIELD
Danny Critchfield and David Lee boats were both made from the same molds. The boats have the same hook or maybe a larger one in the bottom as the original Flyer. Some racers liked the hook as is, some filled in part of it leaving just a lip at the stern, others took it out completely.

CRITCHFIELD SPLASH
Marty Brodeur used Cameron Whiteside's beat up Critchfield raceboat to make the molds. His boats needed a lot of work to fix the flaws. Top Gun is currently building the new composite boat and it is an excellent product.

ALL OF THE "SPLASHED" CRITCHFIELDS AND DELTAS INCLUDING THE NEW DELTA COME FROM MOLDS OFF USED BOATS WHERE THE BOTTOM IS NOT 100% AS ORIGINAL.
VOODOO'S, RAPID CRAFTS AND OASIS ARE THE ONLY BOATS FROM ORIGINAL MOLDS. I LEFT OUT THE FLORIDA ALLISON BECAUSE I AM NOT SURE IF IT IS AN ORIGINAL MOLD.

REMOVING THE HOOK.
You can fill in the low area or sand the other areas down. If you sand down the other areas you can leave the lip at the stern.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2020, 11:11 am   

I thought maybe I could add some info on this..My Delta was built by Bob Sanders and was one of the first ones made and was raced by Bill Vogel out of Florida. Bob built this next door to the G-W Invader plant in Sharpsville Indiana with the help of George Wooldrige .maybe 71-72...The data tag said S&W boats Sharpsville Indiana and was 12 ft 10 inches to skirt under the 13 ft rule + or - 2 inches.1985-1986 at Dunnville it would run 66-67...not enough for Steve Huff though..like Thom said the lip or wedge helped keep the nose down...dont think you need it with pt..Some were built light for the NOA and some heavier for APBA..thanks

PostPosted: January 17th, 2020, 2:20 pm   
Team Member

Jim your post above is very interesting. There was not the communication networking back in the seventies and the time line for the first Deltas shows how long Delta boats have been around.
The first ones were built......71...72 ish
I remember G-W Invader being linked but didn't build the boats.
The first one in Ontario Canada was 1976.
I got my first Delta in 1978....it was very light and broken up. I put my 650XS on it.
Too me it was super fast and easy to drive....not much bow lift .
I had to repair the bottom because the hull broke along side the pad. That's when I straightened the pad.
The boat ran terrible. That's why I tried the aluminum piece on the back of the pad.
That boat went to the dump.

Between 1972 and the early 1980's there were many splashes on both sides of the border.
The later the build normally the heavier the boat. Current Delta owners will now realize how different their boat is to the original.
Steve Huff's Delta was very light and so was Steve....I don't think the CBF FE rules had the same minimum weight limit as APBA, so you were at a disadvantage.

The good news is the NEW Delta should be lighter and stronger than ANY previous Delta, perfect for the T750 class with it's 594 lb. minimum weight.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2020, 4:07 pm   
Team Member

It took 35 lbs added for our last Voodoo (based on Delta hull) to pass US EP weight inspection.

Profile Send private message WWW