It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:31 pm

Drag Prop Talk

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 11:02 am   
Team Member

I know this is going to be a hot topic this winter as a lot of guys are looking to add to their collection for next year. With any luck there will be more than a few prop boxes heading north of the boarder.
Obviously it's hard to know what is going to work well in 800' without trying it let alone having ACTUAL data to back up that seat of the pants feel. I am sure we have enough knowledge/experience here to help some guys out though.

I for one am curious about Yamaha drags vs cut drag's vs ET's
I have no problems out of the hole with a 14x22 drag but need more steam up top
Will an ET or cut chopper typically yield more MPH then a true YamDrag?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 11:22 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

p man wrote:
I know this is going to be a hot topic this winter as a lot of guys are looking to add to their collection for next year. With any luck there will be more than a few prop boxes heading north of the boarder.
Obviously it's hard to know what is going to work well in 800' without trying it let alone having ACTUAL data to back up that seat of the pants feel. I am sure we have enough knowledge/experience here to help some guys out though.

I for one am curious about Yamaha drags vs cut drag's vs ET's
I have no problems out of the hole with a 14x22 drag but need more steam up top
Will an ET or cut chopper typically yield more MPH then a true YamDrag?

great topic !

its going to be tuff to prop my boat... i wont have the revs on the top end to run the small pitch props that your running i think i'll need a big pitch with gobbs of torque to keep up in the 500-800feet range...

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 11:57 am   
TORC VP

James

What gears are you runnig? I have the same issue with being limited in the RPM. I am running a 24 drag 4 with 1.62 gears and well....It seems to work well I think I could go smaller!

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 12:50 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

OneCycle wrote:
]

great topic !

its going to be tuff to prop my boat... i wont have the revs on the top end to run the small pitch props that your running i think i'll need a big pitch with gobbs of torque to keep up in the 500-800feet range...

You won't be able rev like a 260 (you won't have the power either) but you'll be in line with a Pro Max. Does anyone run a PM? Or better yet....maybe one of the veterans can give us an idea of what they rev at the end of the 800. That would give some of the rookies an idea of where they should be going. Pat what are you revving???

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 1:11 pm   
Team Member

All depends on the motor ....

I'd say a 225PM prop for 7000 rpm. For a relatively stock Yamaha 1st thing I'd do is throw some compression at it for sure. Best bang for the buck as all motors .... compression = tourque !!!!

For a Merc Drag you should be able to run a 20" - light 22"

260/280 should be able to run a 22" if no limiter is in the box.

Just my thoughts and experience. . but every boat and motor is different. No magic besides some testing. Keep in mind the track at Dunnville was a bit long-ish (+75 or so )

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 2:55 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
Pat what are you revving???

I'm not totally sure what I was spinning this year. I found my Tach is a bit optimistic and only ran the small props at Dunnville.
As best I can tell I was in around the 8800-9000RPM range on the Saturday.
As rediculous as it sounds, I'd be interested in trying a 24" wheel to see how it compares.
My motor seems to give tons of torque but like I said seems stretched up top.

I'm excited to see that Valero setup.
I bet you can make that run pretty strong.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 11:17 pm   
Team Member

Well 2 years ago at Dunnville I ran a 23 yam copy and I hit the limiter (6700) with my promax at about 500 feet. My speed kept increasing a bit just because of efficiency (the hull started to pop) but I was only doing maybe 73-75mph at the 800 mark. If I propped any bigger I was too slow out of the whole and didn't have enough distance to catch up, it seemed to work best for me.

I mean it was good enough to win Lake racer (except for Lee's "lake racer" :P ), but 73-75 was only competitive given the boats that were there. There was a panther that was pretty close though :lol:

PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 11:58 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

talonkid wrote:
Well 2 years ago at Dunnville I ran a 23 yam copy and I hit the limiter (6700) with my promax at about 500 feet. My speed kept increasing a bit just because of efficiency (the hull started to pop) but I was only doing maybe 73-75mph at the 800 mark. If I propped any bigger I was too slow out of the whole and didn't have enough distance to catch up, it seemed to work best for me.

I mean it was good enough to win Lake racer (except for Lee's "lake racer" :P ), but 73-75 was only competitive given the boats that were there. There was a panther that was pretty close though :lol:

no wonder it wont go 100mph....

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 12:05 am   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
talonkid wrote:

no wonder it wont go 100mph....

ruthless...

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 7:36 am   
Team Member

talonkid wrote:
There was a panther that was pretty close though :lol:

Hmmmm..Maybe the Panther needs a few more hp to wake her up.....like a 300xs with DBR kit. ;)

12' tinny - 9.9 merc