It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 8:47 pm

Oval racing at the drags.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 9:44 am   
Team Member

As a crew member of Triple C, I can say that if there is a dock start (shallow water start) my focus will be on my boat and driver. Last year I flagged all the heats for the T-boats along with Hydroid, which I would not be willing to do if we do a dock start. I would rather have other OPBRA members learn how to officiate (flag) the T races, and let the experienced crew members do what they ultimately come to do, which is help their boats and drivers. Last year we had 3 crew members at the race, and it was all we could do to get our boat and driver in the water, AND help those T guys that came single-handed. We were glad to do it...but it is a lot of work.

I do think that a dock start/shallow water start would be very entertaining for the crowd, and obviously there are a lot of the drivers who want to do it...but there will be a learning curve for everyone. Details will need to be figured out well ahead of the race weekend. I would also suggest that if dock start is the decision, each T boat driver is responsible for having their in-water crew person confirmed ahead of each heat so that you don't have people jumping in last minute who aren't 100% sure what they are supposed to be doing....after all, you are putting people in the water surrounded by running race boats. The last thing anyone wants is a mishap right out of the gate...literally.

Also, last year those of you who were there will remember that it was a gorgeous, hot September weekend. I ended up taking a dip after the races Sunday and I specifically remember 2 things 1) the water was a wee bit chilly...bearable and refreshing, but chilly. 2) As I was getting out I got talking to an older local gentleman who commented that usually that time of year the water is quite a bit cooler (in the mid 50's). So...if you are going to have crew in the water, holding the boats, weather and temperature are going to be a big factor. Luckily I happen to be an avid duck hunter, so I'd be making sure to add my insulated hip waders to my packing list.

T750 Boat #49 - Crew
2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 High Points Champion

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 3:35 pm   
Team Member

By posting that the OPBRA races will be a DOCK START enables teams to prepare for that type of start. Teams that want to run 24 volt can and teams will each be responsible for having their extra help in place. Conditions could change at the event and you may need to do another type of start. The other starts are legal, in the rule book and do not affect insurance. Event organizers may not want to run back to back starts with a DOCK START because of the extra set up time, so they may split the heats and run them in different times during the event schedule. That is a good idea because fans get a second chance to see both T classes if they happened to miss the first heats.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 7:33 pm   
Team Member

Honker wrote:
As a crew member of Triple C, I can say that if there is a dock start (shallow water start) my focus will be on my boat and driver. Last year I flagged all the heats for the T-boats along with Hydroid, which I would not be willing to do if we do a dock start. I would rather have other OPBRA members learn how to officiate (flag) the T races, and let the experienced crew members do what they ultimately come to do, which is help their boats and drivers. Last year we had 3 crew members at the race, and it was all we could do to get our boat and driver in the water, AND help those T guys that came single-handed. We were glad to do it...but it is a lot of work.

I do think that a dock start/shallow water start would be very entertaining for the crowd, and obviously there are a lot of the drivers who want to do it...but there will be a learning curve for everyone. Details will need to be figured out well ahead of the race weekend. I would also suggest that if dock start is the decision, each T boat driver is responsible for having their in-water crew person confirmed ahead of each heat so that you don't have people jumping in last minute who aren't 100% sure what they are supposed to be doing....after all, you are putting people in the water surrounded by running race boats. The last thing anyone wants is a mishap right out of the gate...literally.

Also, last year those of you who were there will remember that it was a gorgeous, hot September weekend. I ended up taking a dip after the races Sunday and I specifically remember 2 things 1) the water was a wee bit chilly...bearable and refreshing, but chilly. 2) As I was getting out I got talking to an older local gentleman who commented that usually that time of year the water is quite a bit cooler (in the mid 50's). So...if you are going to have crew in the water, holding the boats, weather and temperature are going to be a big factor. Luckily I happen to be an avid duck hunter, so I'd be making sure to add my insulated hip waders to my packing list.

Great input, Honker. Thank you!!

Please don't forget that most of the seasoned OPBRA drag racers were flag/corner boat operators at the races from 2010 up to 2015.
Some of them were/are T-boat racers as well.
Our mission at these events is to make it entertaining for our fans and easy and fun for the racers/crew.
Whatever that takes, we will make it happen.

Leaving this in the T-boat drivers hands to decide (the starts) is all part of it.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 9:53 am   
Team Member

It is up to the T boat drivers 100% and we will come race ready for whatever is decided. The depth of experience and willingness to help everyone is something that we were very happy to see at last years event. I'll stand in the water all day if need be (I usually do), but last year I got side-tracked with a multitude of other things that kept me from focusing on my boat and driver as much as I would have liked. If it is a dock start, as I said...I'm in the water with our boat.

I was just tossing in my opinion as a lead crew member to add to the conversation...sometimes it helps to have to perspective of someone who is working the pits and sidelines. There is so much that goes on in the pits and at the course before the boats even go in the water, and with the proposed in water start there will be more demands on the each team's crew. Just something to keep in mind and prepare for.

Looking forward to Peterborough 2018. I fully expect with this group that it will just keep getting better at every event!

T750 Boat #49 - Crew

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 1:40 pm   
Team Member

Honker wrote:
It is up to the T boat drivers 100% and we will come race ready for whatever is decided. The depth of experience and willingness to help everyone is something that we were very happy to see at last years event. I'll stand in the water all day if need be (I usually do), but last year I got side-tracked with a multitude of other things that kept me from focusing on my boat and driver as much as I would have liked. If it is a dock start, as I said...I'm in the water with our boat.

I was just tossing in my opinion as a lead crew member to add to the conversation...sometimes it helps to have to perspective of someone who is working the pits and sidelines. There is so much that goes on in the pits and at the course before the boats even go in the water, and with the proposed in water start there will be more demands on the each team's crew. Just something to keep in mind and prepare for.

Looking forward to Peterborough 2018. I fully expect with this group that it will just keep getting better at every event!

I think you need to be talking to your driver a lot more! :lol:

As always Jason we all greatly appreciate your time and efforts at all our races...you are the main reason we all get on the water...Thanks!

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 2:54 pm   
Team Member

We kept all the notes from the 569 test hits we did starting from the dock, in one weekend of testing getting ready for Peterborough last year...we're good to go. :lol:

And...just so you can all mentally prepare yourselves....I will not be at Gravenhurst this year.

T750 Boat #49 - Crew

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 2:57 pm   
Team Member

Honker wrote:
We kept all the notes from the 569 test hits we did starting from the dock, in one weekend of testing getting ready for Peterborough last year...we're good to go. :lol:

And...just so you can all mentally prepare yourselves....I will not be at Gravenhurst this year.

WTF!!!!!

Don't worry I'll put his prop on for him

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 5:50 pm   
Team Member

LittleCharger wrote:
Honker wrote:

WTF!!!!!

Can you start it too ? We switched to recoil start in the late fall testing to save the battery weight along with the starter and trim we took out 38 pounds. i will mount the recoil backwards if we Dock start.

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 7:25 pm   
Team Member

tunnelv wrote:
LittleCharger wrote:
Honker wrote:

WTF!!!!!

Can you start it too ? We switched to recoil start in the late fall testing to save the battery weight along with the starter and trim we took out 38 pounds. i will mount the recoil backwards if we Dock start.

Got you covered sure hope the rope don’t break !

PostPosted: February 7th, 2018, 9:16 pm   
Team Member

Honker wrote:
We kept all the notes from the 569 test hits we did starting from the dock, in one weekend of testing

I know you guys are always testing and I couldn't understand why you posted this start video on another thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew7xQjBnBGY

You saw that video and read Steve's post about having his crew lift the back of his boat for the swallow water starts. Now you have added the reverse mount pull start same as they do overseas. ALWAYS PLANNING AHEAD!

Well, that is not the latest trick.
There was a sale in Dec. for that small booster ion start battery $39.99 canadian.
You can mount 2 of them under the cowl and have 24 volt starting and up trim, and run 12 volt ignition.
I bet LC has already been testing these small ion batteries.

For T850 guys....it is a big advantage having 24 volt start for a dock or beach start!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next