It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:26 am

Oval racing at the drags.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 4:18 pm   
Team Member

Team Hydroid will not 24v retro boats for dock start drag race to first pin, will maintain 12v for other 4 TORC venue clock race format.
If everyone maintains 12v, would this not be an equalizer? Why introduce another variable, aren't there enough?...if I am picking up on TG's subtle points.

Of the potential 7-8 2018 T's, who will commit up front to cover cost, time for testing/qualifying organizing requirements(including CBF sanction) for Friday course set up, safety boat, paramedics & insurance(~$1000+)?...this is DOA. Daily hat draw start order would be best scenario, departure from South end pier/dock up to North corner.

Organizing 2017 T's Saturday morning was a scramble(eg: course, buoys(no spares), flags, corner boats, volunteers....): all said, we pulled it off reasonably well. Obvious areas for improvement: drivers remembering pre-determined lanes, then recalling reverse for H2, seeking & aiming for proper buoys, maintaining discipline with pace boat until flag drop and respecting overlap rule, shoulder checks.

If OPBRA cannot acquire/justify start clock, a tight pace boat format works with usual DQ consequences for infractions(eg: not maintaining lanes, jumping). Unlikely OPBRA will have start camera for review or anyone to use it, therefore pace boat flagman should have start judging/DQ authority, given ref at near shore has poor view of moving start line. Pace boat & flag worked well down far side straight, with prior milling and staging at North end; much too tight for pace flag drop at near shore & then 4-5 boats wide into very tight South corner.

Alternative questions: whether T's prefer a tri-oval with dog-leg toward East shore, or round fountain far side? This could increase North & South corner turn radius. Downside, this would prolong each lap/race, drag out too long for audience & drivers, possibility of driving through fountain rain?..Would CBF/Town approve this course structure?...any OPBRA/driver interest?
Comments?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 5:22 pm   
Team Member

Comments?

rule:
(3-C-6) An electric starter must assure a quick and easy start without external aids. It
must be used as it was supplied by the manufacturer, up to 24 volt allowed.

NASCAR START
We played with this idea at the cottage in early 2000's when there were no FV races. It was very easy to do.
You put a buoy 50 yards ahead of the start line. The boats are lined up in pairs. The front row inside boat has
a GPS. That boat controls the speed. The boats line up on the back straight and come around the corner at 30 mph.
When the first row gets to the 50 yard buoy they can GO! The green flag drops at the same time.

This is similar to the (15-B) * FLAG START - ROLLING but this makes it very easy for the boats to line up for the start.
Reverse start order for second heat.

Last edited by Hounddog on January 29th, 2018, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 7:11 pm   
Team Member

I would just like to state something about this topic.
OPBRA is dedicated to running drags AND T-boat races at our events.

With that in mind, the T-boats have an excellent rule book and we intend to follow it with them.
IF any changes are contemplated, it shall be with the review and approval of the TCORD Racing Committee.

Dock starts are a topic of conversation, however not accepted to date.
The new style of starts are not much different than the clock starts.

The conversations of change are great!! However, the TCORD group must accept to be applicable.

That being sad, is there a 2018 version of the T Rules available? Please have a copy sent to me for the website.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 8:21 pm   
Team Member

Brent here are the other start options.
First motors can have 24 volt starting, racers option if they want 24 volt or not.

(15-A) * CLOCK START -...you are not using this start.

(15-B) * FLAG START - ROLLING
The green flag is raised and drivers may enter the race course. Drivers mill the course,
and within 2 to 4 minutes the white flag is raised. Once raised the drivers approach the
starting chute and head towards the start line as a pack at reduced speed and lineup as
best they can in a row. If the starter approves the lineup of the pack, they drop the
white flag and the race has started. If the starter does not approved the start they shall
leave the white flag up and also wave the green flag to signal the pack to mill around for
another run at the start line as a pack. The timer is started once the white flag is
dropped.

(15-C) * FLAG START- LEMANS
Starting order of all heats to be determined by the Race Committee and announced at
the drivers meeting. Boats are staged/lined up in the starting area. The white flag is
raised for 1 minute. This signals that drivers may test fire their engines. After one
minute the white flag is dropped and engines shall stop. Once all engines are stopped,
the drivers shall signal they are ready by raising a hand. Once all drivers are ready, or 2
minutes have elapsed, the Green flag is raised for a minimum of 10 seconds and
maximum of 20 seconds. At the drop of the green flag the race is started and the drivers
may start their motors. Anyone starting prior, will be penalized 1 minute. The timer is
started once the green flag is dropped.

STARTING ORDER DRAW
We have raced in races with time trials to determine start positions and then have the reverse order starting for the second race.
Depending on when its your time in the order to do your time trial...that will determine how you approach the time you want to run.
Because they reverse the order for the second heat, you want to be first or last of the start in one of the heats. It is a disadvantage to be in the middle where you have little chance to finish first in either heat. If your way down the the list to do your time trial..you sand bag to finish last.
A better way and more fair is to split the start positions into 4 heats. That way everyone has a chance and the racing is better for drivers and fans. You can do this with a lucky draw as well.
Example....10 boats
Heat 1.....1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Heat 2.....10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
Heat 3..... 6 7 8 9 10 1 2 3 4 5
Heat 4..... 5 4 3 2 1 10 9 8 7 6
Best racing is when different boats win and the overall winner is not decided until the last heat.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 10:27 pm   

I've always been pro dock starts for the crowd and the drivers but I do like the NASCAR version! If a dominating boat pulls a number out of the hat which puts him/her in the back of the pack they have to drive their way to the front! That makes for a great race....audience and drivers! Keeps the competition close and the start would be organized.....hopefully! lol. So then reverse the order of the FINISH of the the first heat to start the second! T guys lets hear your preference!!..What type of start do you want??...It's up to us!

2019 Rossitter Critchfield SST60 EVINRUDE

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 1:19 am   
Team Member

NASCAR...FORMAT
When race is called boats leave the pits in single file according to the start order.
Pole boat is first and leads the way.
The announcer gives names and boat numbers to the fans.
After boats slowly [15 to 20 mph] round the first turn, boats line up in pairs,
Pole boat has control of the race and now drives at approximately 30 mph.
He can do that by keeping the RPM the same if he does not have GPS.
The speed is consistent until the pole boat reaches the go buoy which is 50 yards ahead of the start line.
Pole boat accelerates at that buoy, the pole boat MUST be first over the start line. Once pole boat crosses over the start line
the green flag is dropped.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 1:40 pm   
Team Member

Which Start is more exciting to draw a crowd??

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 1:43 pm   

I think DOCK STARTS but I'm out voted.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 1:54 pm   
Team Member

craig737 wrote:
I think DOCK STARTS but I'm out voted.

i was told by a retired racer the same i was also told its the most fair start , the future of racing is also in drawing a crowd. i came to the last race ready to try it my who crew was looking forward to it..some wanted to leave when we prepped for it and things changed when we got there.. i only had 12 volts and do not intend to run 24 if we dock start. i dont care how we start, but would have liked to try it then we would have known.
the isssue is 1-having a dock and water deep enough.
2, some boats plan like crap so it would hurt them.
3- if i guy wanted to bring a lake boat it would deter him?
4 a new green motor would have a command center and netural safety.
im sure there is more

#49 Triple C Racing
T750 Delta/ omc

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 4:32 pm   

You don't always need a dock....a crew member stands waste deep holding you at the beech....flag drops they let go...early days that's how most races were started due to lack of docks. As far as props go that's part of the race....motor dialed in and propped for hole shot and top end speed. More homework but gets the crew more involved and the people always loved the explosion off the beech/dock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next