It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 6:58 pm

2016 FORMULA RULES

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: November 29th, 2015, 11:00 am   

I'm good works for me.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 29th, 2015, 12:36 pm   

bmax wrote:

First and foremost will be safety with minimum requirements met by all racers. Yes, i will be inspecting your boat and will have updated sheets prepared and ready. These rules and requirements i will be inspecting will be posted before the next season starts.

think you could post these new requirements before i rebuild my boat and have to re-rebuild my boat to fit the newly created rules and regs in the spring time... :roll:

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 11:38 pm   

Based on my experience in Haliburton.
I would like to see a few changes for the Formula class.

Weigh min. This has already been suggested.

Side steer only. This is suppose to be a ski/ lake boat class. Save Center steer for lake racer.

20 in mids only. No stock ski boat motor ever came w a 15 in mid . Again lake racer stuff.

I could go on about the races I lost and won and why, but I won't get into it here.

I would like to see more runs at least 2 races against ea boat in class as well as 2 heats per day. I don't know if this is possible but I would like to see it happen.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 2:42 am   

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
bmax wrote:

First and foremost will be safety with minimum requirements met by all racers. Yes, i will be inspecting your boat and will have updated sheets prepared and ready. These rules and requirements i will be inspecting will be posted before the next season starts.

think you could post these new requirements before i rebuild my boat and have to re-rebuild my boat to fit the newly created rules and regs in the spring time... :roll:

Nothing really that you aren't aware of already Boomer, i am updating the original tech inspection sheets.
It will include the typical stuff, visual inspection of steering, engine/jackplate mounting hardware etc
Batteries, fuel tanks etc properly secured.
Kill switch function and if an electric fuel pump is used it must also shut off with the kill switch.
Recorded weight of the boat, driver and gear without fuel.

There are a few other things that are still in discussion but will be released long before the season.
One of them has to do with running a 24 volt up trim system lol. Scary things happen when a stock relay welds it'self together as you are very well aware.

I just want to have everyone as safe as possible on the track, you would be surprised at the deficiencies i noted in Haliburton.

I'm working on the new inspection sheets now and will post as soon as they are complete.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 3:29 am   

Flat Out wrote:

Side steer only. This is suppose to be a ski/ lake boat class. Save Center steer for lake racer.

20 in mids only. No stock ski boat motor ever came w a 15 in mid . Again lake racer stuff.

I could go on about the races I lost and won and why, but I won't get into it here.

I would like to see more runs at least 2 races against ea boat in class as well as 2 heats per day. I don't know if this is possible but I would like to see it happen.

Sean, really good to see you posting and showing interest. Feedback from you guy's is exactly what we need.

I'm really pushing for weigh in for Formula class at the first race only in Gravenhurst even though most organizations don't weigh this class. Haliburton is also far from ideal as you saw the limited "drag" area that we have. The first and obvious reason would be to try to equalize the class to allow both your ski boat and others a chance to be competitive with any other legal boat in class. The second reason is if it was me running dammit i want to know my weight lol. It's fun and very addictive so with your known base weight you may decide to put the boat on a diet.

Side steer vs center steer, it's in the rules and not likely to change. BTW, i run side steer in Lake Racer but i do spend some time balancing my boat for the races.

20 vs 15. 15 vs 12 lol not gonna revisit that here. See the discussion elsewhere. Is anyone running a 15 in Formula?

Unfortunately your last request has been asked by every racer i know, me included but there just isn't enough time in the weekend to accommodate that. There is some talk about adding a another race site to the season that could accommodate drags, i would like to see that happen too.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 9:29 am   

I beleive that in order for this class to grow and attract the cottage type ski boat the rules need to be kept tight. If you run a modded boat that's what the Lake Racer class is for.
Assuming a good start, if a boat weighs the same as mine and I get beat by a wide margin, he likely has more power. If he has the same hp then he's probably lighter.
If it a close race than I'll take a fair lose or win. Close racing is what it's all about. Winning or loosing by a wide margin is not going to grow the sport.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 9:34 am   
Team Member

Flat Out wrote:

This isn't a ski boat class.
It's a class for sport & ski boats with stock power.
How a competitor chooses to set up their boat is their choice.
Every Formula class boat that ran in Haliburton has the ability to make signifigant improvements with set up changes and testing.
If a competitor isn't prepared to put in the effort to improve then the results will speak for themselves.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 10:00 am   
Team Member

Flat Out wrote:
Assuming a good start, if a boat weighs the same as mine and I get beat by a wide margin, he likely has more power. If he has the same hp then he's probably lighter.

Are you serious??
Use your head!!
Take into consideration hull configuration, condition of the engine, set up and the driver!!
There's a hole lot more to this equation then total weight and horsepower.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 11:22 am   

bmax wrote:
Flat Out wrote:

Sean, really good to see you posting and showing interest. Feedback from you guy's is exactly what we need.

I'm really pushing for weigh in for Formula class at the first race only in Gravenhurst even though most organizations don't weigh this class. Haliburton is also far from ideal as you saw the limited "drag" area that we have. The first and obvious reason would be to try to equalize the class to allow both your ski boat and others a chance to be competitive with any other legal boat in class. The second reason is if it was me running dammit i want to know my weight lol. It's fun and very addictive so with your known base weight you may decide to put the boat on a diet.

Side steer vs center steer, it's in the rules and not likely to change. BTW, i run side steer in Lake Racer but i do spend some time balancing my boat for the races.

20 vs 15. 15 vs 12 lol not gonna revisit that here. See the discussion elsewhere. Is anyone running a 15 in Formula?

Unfortunately your last request has been asked by every racer i know, me included but there just isn't enough time in the weekend to accommodate that. There is some talk about adding a another race site to the season that could accommodate drags, i would like to see that happen too.

:lol: ill get on that trim setup,, :D thanks

i know 1 15" is racing in formula this year and i know 1 other boat that is interested in coming out and already has a 15" mid on his boat that now fits the formula rules.

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 12:50 pm   
Team Member

The rules for FORMULA have been the same for many years now.
As for the seating rule I have always been on the fence about this as wanting the boat to be left as it was from the factory (example: if you have a full four seat River Rocket then it should have to b left that way or the same applies for an Allison SS2000 without side slide .... you'd have to leave the full interior in the boat)
This class was NEVER intended to only be a power based class. It was and will stay and get back to being both a power AND "stock" configured hull based class.
There will be NO exception to the interior rule what so ever this coming season. A full interior will be required as the rules state.
I have never liked the fact that Greg switched his boat from side steer to centre configuration as this is NOT how HIS boat came from the factory but I was the only one to ever say anything so you racers lost that battle. Same goes for a RiverRocket that may have come with two seats or the original type love seat ..... That needs to stay that way !!
To switch a boats seating around and claim its for "Handling" or safety is in my opinion .... Complete crap. Set the boat up to be able to drive it. I've driven a side steer XR2002 at 119 with no issues. . . a Euro at 117 with no issues. . it is all in good quality though and rigging and seat time. !!
This class needs to attract the Vectors with a 200 , Sleekcraft/225 , Valero/235 , Vegas/220 , J-Craft/225 , Allison/175 , ChargerDL/200 etc etc etc etc the list of boat types can go on for hours.

This class is meant for those boats. A basic non race boat that may have done a small bit of testing with a small prop , 145psi cranking compression.

This class will NOT evolve away from its intended design. Full interior boats with stock NON factory high performance power. In the case of Mercury a 225 ProMax WITH stock rev-limiter intact has always been the Mercury maximum.

This class has the largest amount of possible growth because we all know at least 2 of these boats each and that are not the same boat. The fact that there has been class domination for all these years and a lack of a more levelled competition is my fault for not making a move to adjust this or pushing harder for it and this will continue.
If we have a consistent 8 boats that have been coming out then those 8 boats are all equally important. We MUST allow for as level of a playing field as possible for the boats in the class that participate for the simple reason that they are the boats that support the class and that is the most important reason of all.
Please remember this is a true lake boat class. . . not a race boat class with a 225hp maximum rule.

15" mids have no bearing and in fact are heavier than a 20" so we won't ever need to discuss mid length again :)

Side vs centre steer is a manufacturer "as built" rules and will be followed.

We are continuing to make this class tighter and as you can see with the weight adder for one of the FORMULA boats now moving forward and the class dominator rule moving forward we are going in the right direction and this will get better.

I have always wanted to make this racing as close as possible for this and Lake Racer. A photo finish in every race of each round is the goal ( unlikely but we will continue to try )

In saying all of my rant above I also can't not mention that the results you get are a direct result of the time and effort you put into your particular boat and setup. This will always be the rule of success in racing (besides Lady Luck) of all forms. If you put time and effort into your boat and you just can't get it to do any better ten please come and speak up as we will do what we can to make this class work for all racers. But ...... to want changes without maximizing what you currently have is plain selfish. Try a few loaner props , tune the motor to hit for an 800' race , test

Keep the conversation going gents :)

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next