2016 FORMULA RULES

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 16th, 2015, 8:34 pm   
Team Member

2016 FORMULA RULES

AGE REQUIREMENT: 16

HULLS:
Boat must be a typical standard boat, bass boat or any other non-competition built boat with complete interior installed.

MOTORS:
No nitrous
No internal engine modification what so ever allowed.
Factory rated 225 hp max.
NO FACTORY MADE HIGH PERFORMANCE BLOCKS / MOTORS ALLOWED
Rev limiters may be removed except Mercury 225 ProMax must retain factory rev. limiter
145psi cranking compression max.
Oil injection may be removed
Minimum 15” midsection
Gear case must be shiftable from drivers seat. Nose cones allowed
Pump gasoline only
NEW :
1- Greg Keeling's Allison XR2002 +150lbs ( this only applies if Greg is the one driving this boat !!) If another "Rookie" driver pilots this boat then #2 below will apply.
2- Anyone that wins 3 ( Three ) consecutive race days will be assessed a +50lb weight adder.

Class rules may change at any time to allow for equality and growth

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Last edited by Jeff Yammer on November 28th, 2015, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 16th, 2015, 11:12 pm   

Alright Formula class, we need to hear from you on this.

You guy's are growing and surely have an opinion on how this class progresses.

Lake racer is doing very well with the weight equalizer and so should your efforts in this class.

It's so cool to see you guy's put in the hard work to compete and be successful.

The whole idea of this class is to come and run your lake/ski boat and have a fun day competing.

Some get hooked right away and start thinking how to improve your time in 800 ft.

Set-up for drags is the key, everyone involved is happy to help you with suggestions, prop choice, and even tips on how to launch your boat at the start line.

Weight being equal and balance of weight really goes a long way to make any of you competitive.

You experienced guys, need your input and thoughts please.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2015, 11:44 pm   
Team Member

Dean says it right.

We are all here to help each other and help beat each other. I'd gladly help anyone beat Ted in Lake Racer. . . just ask John. Haha.

For FORMULA there is always a bunch you can do to pick up ET. Trim and quick trim as well as proper propping is the very best way to pick up (or loose actually) time in a drag race. Doesn't have to be 24v but it helps and it is singly the most bang for your buck. A solenoid and a dedicated UP button.

As for weight I don't see a reason it should be less than LAKE RACER at 1550lbs driver and race ready. Maybe 50lb less but remember this is driver , prop , helmet and gear ...... it's not that heavy. A Hudrostream Vegas with a 225ProMax is easily that.

As Deano said lets truly hear from everyone on this class. It could be the biggest class in racing as we all know at least 2-5 boats each that apply. Racers in this class or boaters alike. . Let's hear it ;)

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 7:59 am   
Team Member

I'm worried I won't make weight for this class, but will just show up with what I have and run it wherever it fits.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 11:30 am   

I like the idea of minimum weight for this class. Good ET's are a combination of power, weight, prop, experience etc so maybe we can have some sort of calculation between say two factors. Divide them into a percentage and have a class tolerance. So if I'm 1550 with a 225 and someone else is 1650 with a 200... I should add some weight to keep us with in competitive specs. How the numbers are corrected and agreed upon would take some time to figure out. Just an idea 225/1550 is 14.5% where as 200/1650 is 12.1% and we agree on a 2% variance. So 225/1595 14.1%, therefor I would have to add roughly 45lbs to keep things more even. Then the rest comes down to hull design, prop, driver etc. it does make things a little more complicated but definitely gives the average lake boat better odds against a very competitive formula drag boat.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 1:41 pm   
Team Member

ATAZ wrote:
I like the idea of minimum weight for this class. Good ET's are a combination of power, weight, prop, experience etc so maybe we can have some sort of calculation between say two factors. Divide them into a percentage and have a class tolerance. So if I'm 1550 with a 225 and someone else is 1650 with a 200... I should add some weight to keep us with in competitive specs. How the numbers are corrected and agreed upon would take some time to figure out. Just an idea 225/1550 is 14.5% where as 200/1650 is 12.1% and we agree on a 2% variance. So 225/1595 14.1%, therefor I would have to add roughly 45lbs to keep things more even. Then the rest comes down to hull design, prop, driver etc. it does make things a little more complicated but definitely gives the average lake boat better odds against a very competitive formula drag boat.

Your post is exactly what this class needs. An open mind for the overall competition and how balanced it should become (eventually one day :)
A boat with a 250lb weight advantage if all power is the same has no chance if all abilities are equal. 1550lb was just thrown out there guys to get things started. The "AVERAGE" boat will be extremely close to that I promise. 500lbs for a wet engine, 38lbs for a battery, jackplate rigging etc etc. Seats and hull all add up and with the average driver weight of 200lb you aren't far off.

This is a tough thing to swallow and some will need to add weight yes but we have to try (or should) to level the playing field here. I like Greg and consider him a good friend but I'd like to see a rules package that lends itself to a better chance of others winning. I remember weight a Charger 18' DL with a Johnson 200 and full seats and from what I remember it was 1420lb without a driver.
The other route to take is to simply just throw a winning penalty at Greg's FORMULA entry but that is not what is best for the class.
Try to think like ATAZ here and think from above without your own boat in mind and think about the class health and perception. There will never be 100% satisfaction here but let's try for open dialogue on what is at least acceptable :)

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 9:15 pm   

Yes, i agree this could be a good idea too. The data would take ages to compile though with all the different hull/motor configurations.

Weighing the boats and last minute entries in Haliburton may be an obstacle, very little pit room and certainly no room for the boom truck inside the area. If we are to weigh at both events, this is something we need to look at. Time as well, we normally run Formula first thing in the morning.

ATAZ, it would be cool if you can do some testing of your theory just to see how close it is. Your boat against a buddy and then go to the dump and weigh them then retest. Of course you would have to set up an 800ft marker.

If you are into that, let us know the boats etc, props used, and so on. LOL, i'm kinda excited about these results.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2015, 9:20 pm   

I agree about it being a hassle. Everyone weighs in beginning of the season and we take notes about their set-up and weight/hp. Then assuming everyone is honest keeping that set-up the same at every race. Only thing, what if someone can only race haliburton and misses the weigh in? How are would it be to have a scale at every event?

And yes - I'd be into testing that. I can add a 2% weight variance to my boat both heavier and lighter and test three separate runs. If it shows a consistent difference within reason I think that will work. Same boat, driver, prop, motor to keep the variables consistent.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2015, 11:22 am   
Team Member

So I just got off the phone with the head inspector for the Blarney races and they don't weigh boats. What they do is determin classes by inspection and the discression of the inspector and organizer. What they do do is if you handily beat your class you are forced to make changes (add a determined amount of weight) or be pushed up a class. They also do NOT allow anyone to race their entry level class if they have entered in a "Professional Race" ( ODBA / DSRA / KDBA LODBRS )
So maybe instead of this a simple weight "adder" to the three year undefeated FORMULA boat is the way to go ???

PostPosted: November 18th, 2015, 6:20 pm   

In some road track racing if you won they would add weight to your car and if you won again they would add more weight until somone beat you and then the guy that beat you would add weight made for some really close racing having said that there were alot more than 4 races to even things out. I agree with Jeff weight has always been the great equalizer in motorsports of all forms.