It is currently May 13th, 2024, 2:45 am

2016 FORMULA RULES

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 3:27 pm   

You both have valid points. This was my first experience in recent years dragging. As a new comer those were my impressions.
Hull, set up, driver all factor in to the equation. Power to weight ratio is a very large part of the equation.
I just want to see as level a playing field as possible. If weights and horsepower are equal than the racing should be close. I feel that this class of sport/ski/lake boat should be just that. Let's see how the new rules work.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 6th, 2015, 9:05 pm   

Just my take on whats been said. I think we all agree the minimum weight thing is important. I personally don't see an problem with 15'' mids in formula either unless that Allison gets one!!! lol

The one thing I DO disagree a bit on is the center steer. I just don't think it belongs in this class. Now I know you can make both types of boats run just fine ect ect, but its getting away from the "everyday sport boat." Most of these type of boats seat 4 or 5 people, which a center steer cant do very well. I guess if I would have to run my 2 front seats and my rear bench, factory seating for 5, because that's what the rules state, it makes it hard to beat a single seat boat (or single seat an tiny little bench in back) with center steer. Plus lets face it, I don't have 170 lbs worth of stuff in my boat to move around to balance myself out. So id have to add weight to get the same effect. But now with that said I don't agree on saying Greg has to change back, or we cant let anyone race that is center steer. we just plain don't have enough people in the class yet...but when we do, Greg put a 260 on that Allison an go put a hurtin on those lake racer boys!

....or just let Jackie come whoop our butts!!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2015, 9:21 pm   
Team Member

/\ agree completely.
No one is going to be told to switch anything back.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: December 6th, 2015, 9:35 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

What about Ryan Fotes with his Vintage Vector Rat Boat has centre steer with tandem seating and will have a bench in the back ?

PostPosted: December 7th, 2015, 12:04 am   

I stand corrected! a 4 seater center steer. bring it out!!! as I said I don't think we should be saying no to center steer guys or telling em to change. not enough people for that. I just didn't think that particular mod fit the class very well. but ryans boat is a good example of a perfectly legal boat... seats oem amount of people an will be easier to dial in. maybe im just jealous my boat cant be center steer :p

this class is getting interesting guys, so many variables and different boat types. its cool

PostPosted: December 7th, 2015, 10:01 pm   
Team Member

Ryan's boat is allowed to run but my personal opinion is that it is not in the spirit of the class' design.
All things being equal he has an advantage over that exact same package with side steering. As we hopefully continue to grow this class this possibly will become an issue.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2015, 9:29 pm   

I feel honoured that my boat is an example of what we can run in this class. I built my boat centre steered not only for better balance- I want to beat the class champ. With Greg always being number 1- it sets the bar for me as a formula racer to figure out my set-up to beat the champion. Stock seating "configuration" should be left alone. If we want to centre steer or as Greg put it "Re-arranging the Furniture," let us.. easier weight distribution, (if this class has a weight minimum)better balance/ setup etc, etc. When I'm alone on the lake I'm most likely going to be chasing the big number, so the safer the better. But on those nice hot summer days I put the Tandem seat in, the back bench and my ski bar- I have myself a great family/ ski boat. I still have the stock number of seats (2 buckets and bench) just not arranged the same. I dont see the problem with it.
With more people entering Formula I do think (if the time is available) we should have more passes. To lose 2 races in a row and then sent to the trailer does suck. Your ADDICTION for more drag racing is there, but you cant race anymore. The more racing people get to do, the better they get to know how to set their boats up to beat the more advanced racers. I say give it more time and see if the races get any closer. hope some of my input helps, cant wait to race next year!!!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2015, 10:30 pm   
Team Member

RFotes wrote:
I feel honoured that my boat is an example of what we can run in this class. I built my boat centre steered not only for better balance- I want to beat the class champ. With Greg always being number 1- it sets the bar for me as a formula racer to figure out my set-up to beat the champion. Stock seating "configuration" should be left alone. If we want to centre steer or as Greg put it "Re-arranging the Furniture," let us.. easier weight distribution, (if this class has a weight minimum)better balance/ setup etc, etc. When I'm alone on the lake I'm most likely going to be chasing the big number, so the safer the better. But on those nice hot summer days I put the Tandem seat in, the back bench and my ski bar- I have myself a great family/ ski boat. I still have the stock number of seats (2 buckets and bench) just not arranged the same. I dont see the problem with it.
With more people entering Formula I do think (if the time is available) we should have more passes. To lose 2 races in a row and then sent to the trailer does suck. Your ADDICTION for more drag racing is there, but you cant race anymore. The more racing people get to do, the better they get to know how to set their boats up to beat the more advanced racers. I say give it more time and see if the races get any closer. hope some of my input helps, cant wait to race next year!!!

First and foremost Ryan ..... all of every racer's input helps. Whether you've raced once or 300passes it makes you a racer and your voice means as much as any to this class and all of our classes. Racers make the racing !!!!

I do understand you seating point but it truly is not the spirit of the classes design. If you have two identical boats but the only difference is center steer vs side ......... my money is on the center steer and this is what I / we hoped to avoid. 8/10 true to class spirit are side steer. I know all about , safer , easier etc etc. . . we must do our best to keep within the spirit of the class and to not turn it into a 225hp maximum race boat class.
Just my thoughts moving forward. We have made some slow gentle steps forward in trying to keep things balanced.

On your point on going "2 & out" ......... welcome to competition and racing. Imagine going to Jasper and going "2 & out" or a weekend away at the strip spending $1500 not including any parts and maintenance items and going "1 & out". HAHAHAHA that is the joy of racing. Test test test to get results on race day :)

Always great to know the racer's points of view and please keep them coming ;)

PostPosted: December 28th, 2015, 9:47 pm   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:
Ryan's boat is allowed to run but my personal opinion is that it is not in the spirit of the class' design.
All things being equal he has an advantage over that exact same package with side steering. As we hopefully continue to grow this class this possibly will become an issue.

I guess we will found out soon. I still have to get a motor and do a bit of work to it, but just maybe it will be ready for Haliburton :)

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 6:49 pm   

That is great news Dave, i'm really happy to see your interest.

As always for you and anyone else, if i can help in any way don't hesitate to ask. Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next