It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 4:52 am

For the FORMULA Racers

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:43 am   
Team Member

BoomerMuskoka wrote:
1 I Bandit wrote:
Hi Guys been reading this so I will throw my .2 cents in. The 2013 rules are posted on here I think they will answer some of the questions on this thread regarding rev limiters and so on. I think the main thing is to get more boats out for this class so if that means letting some centre stear boats run and boats without full interiors we should try and figure out a way to make it as fair as possible we don't what to put anybody off and we don't what to stop anybody from racing. So if you don't have full interior if we could figure out a safe way to add some weight to compensate for the interior I am good with that. Line em up and lets race!
Fluky you should bring that Vector for sure it is what Formula class is for!
ATAZ love to see that STV out the more the better!
Boomer screw some plastic lawn chairs in the STV and a 50lbs sand bag and lets race:)
idvette get that thing put back together and lets go
Wideopen Kev should have something for you this year (sorry a little trash talk)

i am not screwing a gad dam thing to my boat untill someone pulls out a scale....or sees me run... no way am i under weight.

FluKy15 your motor is equivalent to a promax so dont let them scare you.. ill help get that thing laying down 800ft passes for you!!! i have some stuff we can try.. get some seat time buddy.

Well currently there is no weight rule other than the group deciding on what boat fits where.
What's your motor combo Boomer ? And let's remember what this class is all about !

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:46 am   
Team Member

Rest assured if there's enough boats this year that a minimum weight should and hopefully will be instituted for FORMULA.

In saying that the minimum weight should be in around 1750lbs driver / gear / race ready.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 1:51 pm   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:
Rest assured if there's enough boats this year that a minimum weight should and hopefully will be instituted for FORMULA.

In saying that the minimum weight should be in around 1750lbs driver / gear / race ready.

Where do you come up with 1750 lbs??
A stock Charger, H'stream, J Craft or Checkmate fully rigged with a 2.5 or 2.4 should be around 1200-1250 lbs, 1350 tops, add in 200 for a driver and you're in the 1500lb range.
I know this is supposed to be a family event but I didn't think the entire family was supposed to be in the boat!!

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 3:08 pm   
Team Member

Greg a Sleekcraft , 18' Round nose STV Charger , full interior Charger , Hydrostream Vegas , Charger TV etc etc can never ever ever get below the weights you've listed and not even close. Maybe within a 100lbs or so. Please remember that you have the lightest boat by far that has ever competed to date in FORMULA.
This class is about the huge difference in boats and the type of boats that the class was originally meant to attract. In saying that this class was never ever about mods to a recreational sport / speed boat to be more race friendly. It was always thought of to be the most non race boats that have performance qualities.
My weight that I threw out there was only just that and it was only just thrown out there. !! There really has to be an open mind from the FORMULA competitors that is completely unbiased to help this class grow. It's only ideas for the future and just ideas.
The class has to cater to its racers and ALL of its racers and their boat types and be open minded about them.
There seems to be a more competitive feel regarding FORMULA these days and that is perfect. . .

I'll leave you FORMULA guys to do what you all think is best and continue dialogue that had a competitive nature but keep in mind there's more than your very light boat and there's more to it than the heaviest boat.

;)

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 3:14 pm   

I weigh 135 lbs, my vector is probably about 600 (rough guess, I am not sure of the actual weight), motor is approximately 430. There's no way I'd be anywhere near the 1750 you're thinking lol. Or are my numbers off?

Wouldn't a tunnel hull have a better hole shot over a V hull though? Planes easier and can just absolutely take off, without fear of walking like a V. I've never been in a tunnel, ever, I'm just thinking out loud here. I would think their added stability would have them be able to accelerate faster

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 3:59 pm   
Team Member

Remember it was just a number thrown out there.

Listen in all forms of outboard drag racing where different power is used WEIGHT is the only equalizer !!!

Now with the lack of interest up here we have to take the boat types into consideration as well.

If we went with power vs weight it wouldn't be any fun for a lot of racers. In FORMULA and especially in LAKE RACER.

Some food for thought ..... Last year's Lake Racer winner has to add a minimum of 162lbs over that boat's ODBA Lake Racer weight to compete in TORC's Lake Racer class ( and thinks he should add even more to create parity)

If a guy shows up with a Sleekcraft and. 3.0 Johnny for FORMULA --- Greg and his XR2002 will be shut off and enjoying a sip of water before that Sleek' is even past the 800' mark. ( don't take offence Greg :))

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 9:58 pm   

why don't we weigh the lightest boat and the heaviest boat (or all of em for that matter) and see what kinda range were in. I would bet my boat race ready would be around 1600-1700 with me in it and my boats the biggest and heaviest. so I agree a 1700 lb min weight isn't gonna work for some. and it would probly take gregs whole family riding along to slow him down enough for me to have an advantage.

lets try for 8 boats in formula, center steer, interior, no interior, short mids whatever. lets get some weights and add an subtract accordingly. And after a day of racing we will have a very good idea on where to go.

its too bad we couldn't set up a practice weekend before gravenhurst and get a few new guys out and lined up.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 10:24 pm   

I think regardless of all the worries I've posted about, I'd be interested in actually taking part of this

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 10:32 pm   

yah man you got nothing to worry about. your boat would do great in this class. get some seat time in that thing and borrow a prop if you gotta. youll be rockin.

1Ibandit, I heard some things are going on with the charger...bring it!!! I got a few tricks too ;) I look forward to racing you.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2015, 11:13 pm   

Jeff Yammer wrote:
BoomerMuskoka wrote:
1 I Bandit wrote:
Hi Guys been reading this so I will throw my .2 cents in. The 2013 rules are posted on here I think they will answer some of the questions on this thread regarding rev limiters and so on. I think the main thing is to get more boats out for this class so if that means letting some centre stear boats run and boats without full interiors we should try and figure out a way to make it as fair as possible we don't what to put anybody off and we don't what to stop anybody from racing. So if you don't have full interior if we could figure out a safe way to add some weight to compensate for the interior I am good with that. Line em up and lets race!
Fluky you should bring that Vector for sure it is what Formula class is for!
ATAZ love to see that STV out the more the better!
Boomer screw some plastic lawn chairs in the STV and a 50lbs sand bag and lets race:)
idvette get that thing put back together and lets go
Wideopen Kev should have something for you this year (sorry a little trash talk)

i am not screwing a gad dam thing to my boat untill someone pulls out a scale....or sees me run... no way am i under weight.

FluKy15 your motor is equivalent to a promax so dont let them scare you.. ill help get that thing laying down 800ft passes for you!!! i have some stuff we can try.. get some seat time buddy.

Well currently there is no weight rule other than the group deciding on what boat fits where.
What's your motor combo Boomer ? And let's remember what this class is all about !

i dont even know yet :lol: 2.4l or a 2.6l unless i can find a 2.5l in time woah

19' tempest picklefork 84 mod vpcarb 102mph