It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 10:28 am

My idea of 2015 Lake Racer rules

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 12:49 pm   
Team Member

Well for starters I have NO secrets with my setup and will share with anyone who may benifit from what little I know
My 2 biggest gains came from a GOOD propeller and 24v trim!

24V trim is as simple a mod as one could dream and even better you can make a system for almost nothing in an afternoon. This took the bouncing out of my holeshot and improved my e.t. ten fold.

Also the difference between a stock prop and a worked prop is night and day. Props are worked for specific boats (thier weight/motor ect included). Just because you have a 22et or whatever doesn't mean you're on the right track. The difference between a stock Yamaha 22 drag and one that was worked for a similar boat was night and day difference for me.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 1:00 pm   
Team Member

All of what Pat says are key things for anyone to consider.

The thing is see is that some can try every single normal drag trick in the book and they still wouldn't be close but as a group they are and should be considered because they pay and show up like all the rest. The rules for any organization are developed based on what participants they have.

(Pat by the way I'd like to see that King with 180+psi )

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 1:53 pm   
Team Member

I can chime in here as well now that mine has been brought up. My power head is starting as a 2.0 150. Best guess is maybe around 175 hp but time will tell when it's built. And yes it will be much under the 1400 pound rule. I'd love to come out and race but agreed I won't be adding 500 pounds to my boat with the lack of horsepower, I just won't even show up. However I am all for fair and I would be willing to do testing at keeling a to see how my boat ranks and adding weight appropriately from there to keep it all a somewhatt level playing field. But adding 500 pounds is dangerous. I don't want to cause problems with the rules but to help increase numbers to have the potential number of races increase in all for.

Is there some rule in odba where guys that run v8's hace to add a certain amount of weight. Why not have a decrease in weight ruling for lesser horsepower?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm   

So I am planning to have my STV ready for Lake Racer next season and going to run my Formula boat as well so I am going to throw my 2 cents in. I think the minimum wieght ideal is something to consider and should include the driver as Jeff said it does apply to most forms of racing and is probably the best way to level the playing field. The real challenge to that is what should it be, you don't want guys adding a bunch of weight just so that they are equal to guys with heavier boats at the same time the heavier boats should be doing things to try and get down to the minimum weight. In racing there are always dominate teams that raise the bar and this is part of racing to push to improve both equipment and driver.
I was in the tow boat for Lake Racer in Dunnville and it would be a great place for a second view of the finish line.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 2:38 pm   
TORC VP

talonkid wrote:
I can chime in here as well now that mine has been brought up. My power head is starting as a 2.0 150. Best guess is maybe around 175 hp but time will tell when it's built. And yes it will be much under the 1400 pound rule. I'd love to come out and race but agreed I won't be adding 500 pounds to my boat with the lack of horsepower, I just won't even show up. However I am all for fair and I would be willing to do testing at keeling a to see how my boat ranks and adding weight appropriately from there to keep it all a somewhatt level playing field. But adding 500 pounds is dangerous. I don't want to cause problems with the rules but to help increase numbers to have the potential number of races increase in all for.

Is there some rule in odba where guys that run v8's hace to add a certain amount of weight. Why not have a decrease in weight ruling for lesser horsepower?

Mike

yes the V8 that runs lake racer has to weigh 2300lbs. now this is not a stock V8 it is extremlly modified.

for my boat with the big block to race in river racer outlaw.... I can be 1400 Ted would race against me at 1325.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 3:10 pm   
Team Member

ODBA is all weight vs motor combination.

Their Lake Racer allows motors that conform to : Super Stock , Pro Stock , Pro Gas , Modified Production etc etc. that IS the reason we were able to win Lake Racer because we are able to weigh as low as 1390lbs with our Super Stock setup.

Our goal was always performance based basically !! If you dominate or a group has dominated then you slow them down - If you are dead slow then we help to make you quicker .

With your little Allison 12" setup we see how it performs and go from there. . :)

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 3:19 pm   
Team Member

Well, I've been a position that most haven't, on the water, and from that stand point there has been tremendous changes in the preformance of the boats AND operators, and I think (ya I know Jeff, not possible) most has come from what the drivers have learned about their boats, equipment and themselves, so I think we are on the right track with maybe some SMALL changes.

An on the water finish line spotting boat would be an anchoring problem, period. Better markers would be better solution!

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 3:23 pm   
Team Member

That is the thing that that is strange here , people don't want to conform to a weight but , every other organization you have to in order to race.
Pat's set up if running Lake Racer under the Super Stock motor rules and if his motor is dead stock block in ODBA has to weigh in at 1540lbs ( boat & driver race ready ) and can use as small of a head cc of 26cc. So my suggestion of 1400lbs boat only race ready isn't too far off.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 4:41 pm   
TORC VP

I never said I didn't want to conform, just tossing out bits for disscussion

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 7:29 pm   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:

With your little Allison 12" setup we see how it performs and go from there. . :)

Perfect, my thoughts on that as well. Not wanting to have all the rules changed just to let my boat run, but I mean provided its all kept fair but competitive and nobody has any major objections I'd love to be able to add a boat to the racing.

As for the other stuff in terms of boat pairing, etc. I've been on the start boat and worked both the bracket and have staged the boats coming up to the start line. Outside of the first pass its really too difficult to have boats line up against each other that would be "most competitive" and to be completely honest its not "racing". However, as I think it was Kenny who said it, thats the idea behind grudge match racing in which to line up against who you want when you want. Whether there is time for that at G-Hurst or Dunville I have no idea but thats my .02 for now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next