It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:11 pm

helmets for Boating

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 8:50 am   
Team Member

Not sure how fast you are talking about going... but I had the feeling the orignial post was for lake use... if for racing it's different a different story to meet the rules.

In my mind, motorcycle helmets are very poorly designed for water sports, and I've tested a few... haha. They are made to bounce down pavement... not water.

For lake use, I'd be tempted to look more at good bicycle type helmets (NOT Canadian tire type stuff). They are not DOT/Snell approved, but made similar (in many cases cost much more). They have many more and much larger vents in them so they are not race legal... but this lets in much more air flow so you are not as hot, and in the event of a crash they are MUCH lighter to help with whiplash type injuries and less likely to bucket I'd think because of the big vents.

Here is one to give you the idea.. could remove the visor if you're going fast or have no windshield:
carbon fiber, lots of vents, big holes.

To add to one of the comments I saw... from person experience, bucketing becomes an issue at about 65 mph. If you've got a helmet on above that, you should certainly have a lifejacket that has a water deflecting colar. I don't know much about helmet restraints.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 8:57 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
RBT wrote:
Jeff Yammer wrote:
You can even buy the SRP helmet restraint for $100. . . Compared to a dead person that's cheap !!!

Exactly, I can never figure out why someone will depend 1k on a prop without flinching, but won't spend for safety equipment.

Dude...how many guys don't even put on a life jacket. It's truely ridiculous....look at all the river ranch pictures..

Now, Tom is talking about a lake boat here...does that make a difference? I'm not really concerned with bucketing coming out of the voodoo on the race course but I don't know where the threshold for that type of thing is (or if there is one...maybe all of us TORC guys are taking a big risk by not having restraints)...is there any actual guidelines for this stuff?

What I was really trying to find out - I think was answered in a round a bout way. We are not looking to race here. Just some protection for my son who was in a car accident last summer and is still suffering from some concussion symptoms. The doctor has advised "some" protection when being involved in riskier activity. Like snowmobiling, and fast boating.

Being that we are not racing - I'm thinking that a regular helmet would be enough. Even a hockey helmet would do the trick. Maybe even safer, as it's lighter and not going to hold water against his face if he were to end up in the drink.

It is a bit of a tricky subject - I've debated this in my head over the winter a lot. I can honestly say that I feel if I was wearing a helmet in my accident - I wouldn't have the scar on my head that I'm sporting now. But - I might be dead from a broken neck or drowning. As I was unconscious in the water for a period of time before being pulled out by our fabulous fast boating buddies.

There is no way to know for sure???

I do know and can't say enough - wear a lifejacket when your getting up there in speed. It SAVED my life.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 9:07 am   
Team Member

Andrew4ce wrote:
Not sure how fast you are talking about going... but I had the feeling the orignial post was for lake use... if for racing it's different a different story to meet the rules.

In my mind, motorcycle helmets are very poorly designed for water sports, and I've tested a few... haha. They are made to bounce down pavement... not water.

For lake use, I'd be tempted to look more at good bicycle type helmets (NOT Canadian tire type stuff). They are not DOT/Snell approved, but made similar (in many cases cost much more). They have many more and much larger vents in them so they are not race legal... but this lets in much more air flow so you are not as hot, and in the event of a crash they are MUCH lighter to help with whiplash type injuries and less likely to bucket I'd think because of the big vents.

Here is one to give you the idea.. could remove the visor if you're going fast or have no windshield:
carbon fiber, lots of vents, big holes.

To add to one of the comments I saw... from person experience, bucketing becomes an issue at about 65 mph. If you've got a helmet on above that, you should certainly have a lifejacket that has a water deflecting colar. I don't know much about helmet restraints.

That is exactly the helmet I would NOT want on my head, anything that protrudes from your head is something that WILL grab water. For that matter you should never wear a helmet without a life jacket. Again, the water can and will grab your helmet. Don't forget about the chances of your head taking a hit from your boar or another.
Neck roll at the minimum and restraints for those that care about themselves. I would think all classes of torc should require at minimum a neck roll.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 9:16 am   
Team Member

RBT wrote:
That is exactly the helmet I would NOT want on my head, anything that protrudes from your head is something that WILL grab water. For that matter you should never wear a helmet without a life jacket. Again, the water can and will grab your helmet. Don't forget about the chances of your head taking a hit from your boar or another.
Neck roll at the minimum and restraints for those that care about themselves. I would think all classes of torc should require at minimum a neck roll.

As mentioned... not sure how fast he is going, and can remove the visor... and they just rip off instantly too, usually plastic/aluminum screws hold them in so they do just that. The chin bar does stick out more than a motorcycle type helmet.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 9:40 am   
Team Member

Even if it is weak, that quick grap could be enough to damage you. Real helmets from lifeline or security are cheap

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 10:11 am   
Team Member

wildcatt wrote:
DoktorC wrote:
RBT wrote:
Jeff Yammer wrote:
You can even buy the SRP helmet restraint for $100. . . Compared to a dead person that's cheap !!!

Exactly, I can never figure out why someone will depend 1k on a prop without flinching, but won't spend for safety equipment.

Dude...how many guys don't even put on a life jacket. It's truely ridiculous....look at all the river ranch pictures..

Now, Tom is talking about a lake boat here...does that make a difference? I'm not really concerned with bucketing coming out of the voodoo on the race course but I don't know where the threshold for that type of thing is (or if there is one...maybe all of us TORC guys are taking a big risk by not having restraints)...is there any actual guidelines for this stuff?

What I was really trying to find out - I think was answered in a round a bout way. We are not looking to race here. Just some protection for my son who was in a car accident last summer and is still suffering from some concussion symptoms. The doctor has advised "some" protection when being involved in riskier activity. Like snowmobiling, and fast boating.

Being that we are not racing - I'm thinking that a regular helmet would be enough. Even a hockey helmet would do the trick. Maybe even safer, as it's lighter and not going to hold water against his face if he were to end up in the drink.

It is a bit of a tricky subject - I've debated this in my head over the winter a lot. I can honestly say that I feel if I was wearing a helmet in my accident - I wouldn't have the scar on my head that I'm sporting now. But - I might be dead from a broken neck or drowning. As I was unconscious in the water for a period of time before being pulled out by our fabulous fast boating buddies.

I do know and can't say enough - wear a lifejacket when your getting up there in speed. It SAVED my life.

I always try to tell people if wearing a full face for pleasure ( usually the cold days or rainy events ) to wear what you like I guess but if not a proper set up then don't do it up with the chin strap. When wearing my boating helmet I usually just keep the six restraints done up and forget about the chin strap. Like the life jacket thing a few years ago -- once you get used to it , it will become a part of your everyday boating items without even thinking about it.

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 10:26 am   
Team Member

Exactly, I can never figure out why someone will depend 1k on a prop without flinching, but won't spend for safety equipment.[/quote]

Now, Tom is talking about a lake boat here...does that make a difference? I'm not really concerned with bucketing coming out of the voodoo on the race course but I don't know where the threshold for that type of thing is (or if there is one...maybe all of us TORC guys are taking a big risk by not having restraints)...is there any actual guidelines for this stuff?[/quote]

I do know and can't say enough - wear a lifejacket when your getting up there in speed. It SAVED my life.[/quote]

I always try to tell people if wearing a full face for pleasure ( usually the cold days or rainy events ) to wear what you like I guess but if not a proper set up then don't do it up with the chin strap. When wearing my boating helmet I usually just keep the six restraints done up and forget about the chin strap. Like the life jacket thing a few years ago -- once you get used to it , it will become a part of your everyday boating items without even thinking about it.[/quote]

Gotcha on the Chin strap Jeff. I was enlightened by Mr Riot280 a few years ago. I never do it up for boating.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 10:38 am   
Team Member

open face helmets are allowed in APBA and CBF
http://www.apba.org/sites/all/files/doc ... -GSR_0.pdf
http://cbfnc.ca/cbfnc/images/CBFNC/Rule ... %20nov.pdf see rule#14

Snell approved helmets are available starting at $35. plus a can of Chevy Engine Orange.
https://www.google.com/#q=hjc+helmets+s ... 64&bih=732

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 9:52 pm   

Tom, What about a Wake Board helmet or a Ski Racer Helmet?

http://www.the-house.com/wakeh.html

http://www.gathsports.com/productsingle.php?id=68

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 10:55 pm   
Team Member

Murph wrote:
Tom, What about a Wake Board helmet or a Ski Racer Helmet?

http://www.the-house.com/wakeh.html

http://www.gathsports.com/productsingle.php?id=68

Certainly would work Murph. He has a Snowmobile helmet already, so I'm Leaning towards that.
I'll keep my eyes open for a extra large wakeboard hat.

I don't think it needs to be anything super fancy. Lighter and cooler would be better for the summer.