It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:23 pm

helmets for Boating

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 7:30 pm   
Team Member

This may be a stupid question????

What is the recommended helmet for boating?

Do they float?
What makes them "recommended"

Not for me, but my son. He's had a few concussions (still recuperating from the last one) and his mom and doctors are wanting him to wear some kind of helmet when we are out in the boat.

Any suggestions? He has a full face snowmobile helmet already. Would that work?

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 8:04 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

wildcatt wrote:
This may be a stupid question????

What is the recommended helmet for boating?

Do they float?
What makes them "recommended"

Not for me, but my son. He's had a few concussions (still recuperating from the last one) and his mom and doctors are wanting him to wear some kind of helmet when we are out in the boat.

Any suggestions? He has a full face snowmobile helmet already. Would that work?

For racing I wear snell approved fullface MC helmet. I haven't tested it out though lol

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 11:34 pm   
Team Member

Must be a Snell Full Face sir :)

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 10:52 am   
Team Member

Helmets with the least area are best, any object that grabs water is dangerous. Visors, mouth guards from moto/sled helmets are worst.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 12:36 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

RBT wrote:
Helmets with the least area are best, any object that grabs water is dangerous. Visors, mouth guards from moto/sled helmets are worst.

I am glad some one brought this up... I really didn't want to say too much about the moto/sled helmets but I will anyway. Not only are they are the worst, they just don't look right... Might as well wear a hockey helmet with Post cereal stickers on it lol. There are a few of the big guys that wear them and you know who you are... Break down and get a real helmet with helmet restraints...Not only is it Professional looking it could save our life ... Yammer says that it is crazy if you don't have helmet restraints, not his exact words but he is right...
$400.oo to $1000.oo for a good Simpson or what ever and helmet restraints... Yammer and RBT's advise is free. Post cereal stickers priceless.lol Sugar Bear

Last edited by KAL Racing on April 20th, 2013, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 3:24 pm   
Team Member

You can even buy the SRP helmet restraint for $100. . . Compared to a dead person that's cheap !!!

2017 OGW Nitrous Shootout Champion
2016 OSCA True Street champion
2015 OSCA 8.90 2nd in Championship

..... just a little SBF at 8.39

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 5:28 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

KAL Racing wrote:
RBT wrote:

I am glad some one brought this up... I really didn't want to say too much about the moto/sled helmets but I will anyway. Not only are they are the worst, they just don't look right... Might as well wear a hockey helmet with Post cereal stickers on it lol. There are a few of the big guys that wear them and you know who you are... Break down and get a real helmet with helmet restraints...Not only is it Professional looking it could save our life ... Yammer says that it is crazy if you don't have helmet restraints, not his exact words but he is right...
$400.oo to $1000.oo for a good Simpson or what ever and helmet restraints... Yammer and RBT's advise is free. Post cereal stickers priceless.lol Sugar Bear

Ok sport fans and racers, maybe I was a little harsh with the hockey helmet/cereal sticker thing... :roll: I thought it was funny stuff :lol:
Where is your sense of humour big guys... :shock: You know what they say about a guy with big hands and big feet :shock: ... He could be a Clown. :lol: :lol: Laugh it up !

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 9:11 pm   
Team Member

Jeff Yammer wrote:
You can even buy the SRP helmet restraint for $100. . . Compared to a dead person that's cheap !!!

Exactly, I can never figure out why someone will depend 1k on a prop without flinching, but won't spend for safety equipment.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2013, 9:17 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

RBT wrote:
Jeff Yammer wrote:

Exactly, I can never figure out why someone will depend 1k on a prop without flinching, but won't spend for safety equipment.

Dude...how many guys don't even put on a life jacket. It's truely ridiculous....look at all the river ranch pictures..

Now, Tom is talking about a lake boat here...does that make a difference? I'm not really concerned with bucketing coming out of the voodoo on the race course but I don't know where the threshold for that type of thing is (or if there is one...maybe all of us TORC guys are taking a big risk by not having restraints)...is there any actual guidelines for this stuff?

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2013, 8:34 am   
Team Member

Ken... I thought it was funny.... :D

I don't race so I have no input. But I am guilty of throwing my un-tethered snell approved helmet on when It's cold or spitting out. I should look into some restraints.