It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 10:24 pm

You got me thinking again on how to improve your boat count

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 30th, 2012, 12:19 pm   
Team Member

Steve, at the T Party suggested running Thunder Cats with the T Boats. You can't do that because on the hole the tunnel leaves in the corners. Tunnels, hydros and runabouts have always been in separate classes in Stock Outboard . So we can't do that.
But, we could run other tunnels with them. Because of our no diver rule we can't run cells. We can run the Sport C and FAT C style tunnel hulls and T750 motors. It would be a good crossover and there are boats in Ontario that fit. Plus you could introduce the Dillon home built hull as well.

I have had people wanting:
to race a tunnel
to build their own tunnel
race 40 to 50 hp tunnels

Something to think about!

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: May 30th, 2012, 12:30 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Steve, at the T Party suggested running Thunder Cats with the T Boats. You can't do that because on the hole the tunnel leaves in the corners. Tunnels, hydros and runabouts have always been in separate classes in Stock Outboard . So we can't do that.
But, we could run other tunnels with them. Because of our no diver rule we can't run cells. We can run the Sport C and FAT C style tunnel hulls and T750 motors. It would be a good crossover and there are boats in Ontario that fit. Plus you could introduce the Dillon home built hull as well.

I have had people wanting:
to race a tunnel
to build their own tunnel
race 40 to 50 hp tunnels

Something to think about!

i don't see the issue with mixing with the same motor class if both # are down in each class,I think having 2 pilots compensates for the speed gain in the corners, as a spectator to me watching 3 boats race is a waste of time i think there should be a minimum of at least 5-6 in each heat. just my 2 cents.

We are going to be going down this route as well this summer it seems most cottagers with boats are more inclined to come out for a fun run instead of a race http://thundercatracingna.com/Thundercat_Fun_Runs.html

http://thundercatracingna.com/

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: May 30th, 2012, 12:59 pm   
Team Member

Several race groups mix hydro's, runabouts, tunnels and flat bottoms throughout the world.

APBA/CBF Modified outboard permits runabouts and hydroplanes in same class.

Stock Outboard does not for closed course racing, on the same course, I'm not sure there are rules against it. Certainly not for marathons (20 minute race mininum).

Capsules are totally legal in Sport C I believe... that is an OPC class. Just need a diver. I think Fat C banned them for cost and simplicity?

I'm not sure what the rules are for Sport C and the like... but there are no rules against having more than one person in the boat that I know of in Stock/Mod Outboard. A ThunderCat might be totally legal in some other tunnel classes?

In the end... Rules are what you make them.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2012, 3:39 pm   
Team Member

Andrew there are several 50 to 55 mph tunnels around.
Scott Whittington has one
Dave Elsey has one
Mike Hooper has one
And there were at least 4 others on the other site.
That posted on the T boat thread
They would not be fast enough for Steve's boat.
But good fun for You and CANADIAN Todd.

It would be nice to get them out. Same problem I have with the T750 boats. I see lots of them and I can't get them to race. Several 6 mile guys say they don't have a trailer. If your one of them and will come to Gravenhurst, I will loan you a trailer for FREE.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2012, 3:47 pm   
Team Member

Too late to do this for Gravenhurst 2012. :)

Get these guys to the enxt fun run on 6ML, check over boats and setups and move from there.

my 2 cents.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 6:53 pm   
Team Member

we run with the stock outboards at all the APBA Region 6 marathons (topo, grass lake, big rapids). i am not sure the holes in the corners are there with the inflatables, did anyone run into any at 6ix mile lake when we were out together? Anyway, it would be double great if some sport Cs showed up in Dunnville to run with us!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 12:54 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

i really enjoyed my 5 - 6 laps in sheuninck's Cat at 6mile then i hopped in WWM's Allison and chased eachother around the track for 5 laps. there was no advantage either way the tboat would pull away on the straits and the thunder cat would reel the tboat in on the corner i lead 2.5 laps in the allison and Sheuninck in the Thunder cat lead the rest....

not to say they should be in the same class but maybe you can just run 2 different classes at the same time kinda link the rolex 24 hours and offshore racing.

traffic makes for good racing.

on a side note i have never driven a t boat in a race but i went over the thundercats wake a few times in the corner and it was less challenging then another tboat.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 1:31 pm   
Team Member

i plan on pulling away from the oval racing it just doesn't lend itself to the capabilities of the boat it also makes for a boring spectator event, i hope to run more of a F1(car) track at dunnvile if we can using the drag buoys with the ovals its the only way to make these exciting on flat water conditions. So mixing the 2 classes wont work in that situation.

http://thundercatracingna.com/

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 1:44 pm   
Team Member

Yeah, the oval is REAL boring after you try running with some extra turns. It was a blast at Gravenhurst.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 4:47 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

OneCycle wrote:
i really enjoyed my 5 - 6 laps in sheuninck's Cat at 6mile then i hopped in WWM's Allison and chased eachother around the track for 5 laps. there was no advantage either way the tboat would pull away on the straits and the thunder cat would reel the tboat in on the corner i lead 2.5 laps in the allison and Sheuninck in the Thunder cat lead the rest....

not to say they should be in the same class but maybe you can just run 2 different classes at the same time kinda link the rolex 24 hours and offshore racing.

traffic makes for good racing.

on a side note i have never driven a t boat in a race but i went over the thundercats wake a few times in the corner and it was less challenging then another tboat.

Traffic is one thing in an endurance race but when the classes are so close in speed we would constantly be in each other's way...especially when you have one boat that can turn and one that can't lol. Sport C's would be cool...similar size and handling and it would help drive interest in both classes.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...