View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 8:49 pm   
User Requested 1 Month Ban - Denied

That is very cool ... :D

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 9:23 am   
Team Member

Hey people! Thanks for the words and to Steve for pumping things up all over the place. cell/internet coverage in our areas was aweful so nothign was getting out. Steve often knew stuff before we did, haha.

We're still getting settled back at home, but to let you all know we got 5th place in stock class of 9 entries overall. In the marathon we placed 16th of 26 teams I think it was. We're pretty happy with that. We missed two surf cross races or we would have been battling for a podium spot overall I think. First race we missed because I hurt my back and we dicided to skip the following day to recover some and not have to sit out completely. Second race we missed because of water in the engine and we couldn't get it fired in time to make the green flag (rookie surf cross mistake).

Our best placing was in the surf cross. We were in 3rd, 1/3 a lap from completing enough laps to call it a race, when someone crashed and the heat was called. On the restart I think we got a 5th. the 3 days of Surf cross was a amzing and the highlight of the whole trip. about 1/3 the field had never been in the surf before. Made it very interesting. The waves were 6' plus a 4' swell, so some 10' waves when the sets lined up with a swell. That is daughting to be driving into when they line up!! haha. But great fun to be airborn for so long, you just hope you land right as you are falling 20' from the air with another 10' wave ready to swallow you. Our surf prop was awful it turned out, and it did get us into some trouble sometimes due to severe cavitation problems (would not move for couple seconds after landing a jump, just spin, while you are looking at a wave ready to crash on you, haha, but we survived with it.

We're still receiving pics... we got a couple nice ones but so far haven't seen that "epic" jumping pic, but some close ones. And some video, but on the best day Graham forgot one camera at the pits and forgot to put a memory card in the camera we did have... DOH! We were up at 6am almost everyday and not much sleeping... so mentally draining too.

To give a taste of the conditions, below is a pic of Surf cross (not us). Even the circuit racing was very rough, 4' waves cresting right at the shore line made it very hard to start a race. On the beach starting line, the boat beside us flipped over backwards landing upside down on the beach just while people were holding it for the start. they took the cowl off to see 3" of sand under the cowl, they were done. There are hundreds of great pics online... we have links to most of them on our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/FralickRacing and will continue to add them as we get notified.

No one was seriously injured in the whole event. I'd guess about a dozen teams ended up upside down over the event. We raced with the goal of finishing races and collecting points and pushing hard when opportunity knocked.

One thing I never thought I would say is, 8 days of racing is too much, haha. we were beat up and the last race or two very demanding just to prep for... physical and mental stamina is definately a huge part of doing well.

We made lots of great friends and many good connections. Team Canada really made an impression and we were mentioned several times at various presentations.

Lastly for now... after the first race, at the party that night, they held a traditional welcome toast... a representative from each county lines up... then to our suprise, you have to do a shot of vodka with tobasco sauce... then put a whole raw egg in your mouth, shell and all and eat it! One person at a time. No one can take a drink to help wash it down or keep it down until the last person in line completes it. Buckets were on hand for those who couldn't keep it down, haha. Proud to say the Team Canada rep, me, completed it like a champ. haha. Surprisingly, I think the shell helped... haha. This tradition comes from south africa. Crazies. haha. Maybe something we should get rookies to do at our races? haha.

That's all for now. More later as we get settled.

Thanks to everyone who helped us!!! Sponsors, friends, your words, contributors, anything. It would not have been possible without you!!

Andrew
Andrew

Attachments:
.facebook_155802283.jpg
.facebook_155802283.jpg [ 39.14 KiB | Viewed 1864 times ]

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: November 5th, 2013, 8:48 pm   
Team Member

For those interested... our lengthy report on the worlds is now online on our team website. It was 8 days of action, so lots to cover. Lots of great pics too.

http://teamcanadathundercat.weebly.com/ ... report.pdf

Profile Send private message WWW