It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:28 pm

older EP race photos

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 3:18 pm   
Team Member

Jim302 wrote:
Thanks for the great pictures..old memories..that was me on the dock with hair and Tim Toth in the drivers seat....

Since Tim is in that boat, Brian Rodway must be driving one of the red and white Formula E VooDoos along with Steve Wrong or Cam Morley.
Brian got that boat from Tim....Brian was champion with it
Mark Major got the boat from Brian.....Mark was champion with it.
Rob Gordon got the boat from Mark....Rob was champion with it.
Jimmy Allen got the boat from Rob.....Jimmy ran a 60 Mercury and finished second at the 1998 or 1999 Nationals.
I am sure someone on Six Mile Lake has it. Likely needs some restoring.

1997 was the year of the Quebec built Mod VP boats. There were 3 of them. Two with 650XS motors and one 52 cubic inch 60 Mercury. They dominated the class. In 1998 we saw the 911 Yamaha and two 59 cubic inch Mercurys. The mod VPs were now racing for 4th. That was the end of them.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 9:07 pm   

From farthest to near-Paul Kryskow-Brian Rodway-Mike Coon-Jason Sproule-Dave Bradbury-Tim Toth-Don Tucker-Herb White-Jeremy Dunn-1990 or 1991.

2019 Rossitter Critchfield SST60 EVINRUDE

PostPosted: February 11th, 2020, 11:44 pm   
Team Member

craig737 wrote:
From farthest to near-Paul Kryskow-Brian Rodway-Mike Coon-Jason Sproule-Dave Bradbury-Tim Toth-Don Tucker-Herb White-Jeremy Dunn-1990 or 1991.

Here's Dunnville 1991....many of the same guys are in this race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49o4AZQ98Zk

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 10:57 am   

Thanks for the info...the old boat has had some cool history..I bought the Critchfield in 1985 used and was told that it was one of Dannys earlier builds..drove it at Dunnville 1987..won all heats...next month finished 3rd at US Nationals in Kankakee behind Terry Strack and Jeff Titus..As the boats and drivers at Dunnvil kept getting faster I could still hang in there but was no match for the top guys like Paul,Steve H,Herb White,Todd Clark..Thats when we came up with plan #2..Tim said something to the effect that I was too old,fat and slow and that he would take over since he was 50 lbs lighter...sounded like a good idea and was better off the dock but still not enough motor...lol...anyway..Tim called one day and said Brian Rodway was looking for a boat and asked if I wanted to sell the Critchfield..I was only using it at Dunnville and didnt want to put any more money in it to try to keep up so I said yes..I sold Brian everything I had and my Titus and Joe Mcaulley props...Thanks Jim

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 11:57 am   
Team Member

Jim, it's all timing! IF? you had not sold that boat, you would have dominated from 1993 up to 1996 or even 1997. Paul last raced that Lee in 1991 he sold it to Dwayne who couldn't build a strong 650XS and ran mid pack in 1992 when Todd Clark dominated until Todd broke his Oasis boat at Gravenhurst. He sold his 650XS to Jeremy Dunn. It's interesting how so many of these EP boats changed hands after 1992. The white VooDoo's ended up with Steve Wrong and Cam Morley. They got Critchfields later on. Cam ended up selling his Critchfield to Craig Ferrier. We ended up with Paul's Lee Craft in 1995 purchased from a non racer.. We had to add 40lbs to it to make the 1995 minimum class weight. Rick Attard got a lot the left over 650XS parts, but lack of 650XS pistons made it impossible to build a strong 650XS. There was only one strong 650XS in 1996 and none in 1997. In 1998 the yamaha and 59 cubic inch Mercury were strong off the dock. Steve Wrong beat both the yamaha and Mercurys at the Sudbury 1998 Nationals with his 49 OMC Critchfield. Steve's Critchfield went thru several owners, was painted orange and is still in the area.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 12:18 pm   

Those old 49s and xs motors haul the mail.
Maybe a little slower at lemans start but other than that they look just as fast as todays boats. Even in the corners they run them pretty fast.

Love the history lesson guys.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 1:28 pm   
Team Member

Streamin wrote:
Those old 49s and xs motors haul the mail.
Maybe a little slower at lemans start but other than that they look just as fast as todays boats. Even in the corners they run them pretty fast. Love the history lesson guys.

Andrew, now that you have got some racing under your belt take note of the video's of Jake Elsey running is T750 twin, his 48 OMC and his 56 OMC oval port where the video's show the speeds as he runs the course. Circle racing is about your total lap time around the course. Its ET and just because you run a higher MPH at the end of the straightaway, that does not necessarily mean your lap ET is better. Your faster but maybe not quicker. Acceleration, cornering speed [speed thru the corner] and speed exiting the corner are more important than top end speed. That is why the weight of your outfit is so important. The closer you are to the minimum weight the better you compete.
You will notice in the videos that a well set up T750 or T850 enter the corner a 45 to 50 mph. They exit 48 mph or more. To-days T850's have the same enter and exit speeds, but have a higher straightaway speed and accelerate quicker. They are ALL at their top speed 3/4 of the way down the straights.
That is why driver's ability and boat handling are so important in winning with a T boat. It is not always about having the most horsepower.

Late model VooDoo set up
I have always wondered how a late model VooDoo would run with this set up and an OMC 56'r??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9q02jzoPyY

PostPosted: February 12th, 2020, 7:33 pm   

They sure do bounce alot

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 5:54 am   
Team Member

Streamin wrote:
They sure do bounce alot

Most T boats do. Those hulls have no pad [bottom is round] and motors have no power trim. They are running neutral and some even a bit negative trim. They have been running T class over in Europe since the early 1980's and they now run this type of hull with the seat position well back or the celled wing style hulls with power trim.
Your running well in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjza4XXILFo

PostPosted: February 13th, 2020, 9:09 am   

I couldn't see anything in this heat. Visor got sprayed right off the start and fogged up a minute later.
I stayed off to the side to stay as safe as possible.

Heat 1 sunday was my best heat all weekend.

Saturday heat two my seat ripped out.

Learning is the most important part of racing!