It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:57 am

Outboard engine stands

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 19th, 2015, 7:36 pm   

Has anyone on here built any good engine stands ?
any pics of yours ?
I think we all want a decent stand, and I am sure there are some fantastic idea's
out there that we would all like to see.

good stands are expensive and don't come up very often, and I have seen a few nice custom stands.
mine is pretty simple ,but very effective for holding an engine and transferring it from
transom to stand quickly.
what got me started was I looked at a real nice outboard engine stand a few years back
called the dreadnaught by K&L .
Nice stand but its very expensive, and to ship one over here to UK would of been madness.

so with a bit of old scrap tube I had lying around I made my own.
My stand is on the same lines as the one I wanted but larger wheels and can take
engines of all sizes just the like the K&L stand .
I made it so the main part that holds the engine can be taken off quickly and leave the
engine suspended in place by a very simple 3 leg crane attachment.
This allows the stand to slide under a boat trailer and get engine in position easy.
the crane takes a bout 5 mins to set up, it slots in on the rear main beam with a pin lock
and bolts hold 2 more uprights forward to secure the crane in place.
I used an old trailer winch to take the weight of the engine for cranking it up or down..
by doing this I can wheel the engine to the boat and lower it on a transom without the
need for a separate crane.
by using 6 inch Heavy duty wheels I can move the engine on the stand over pretty rough ground if need be.
the metal used is 2 1/4 inch square tube that is thick walled, the part that imitates
at ransom can be raised up 10 more inches if need be, the board its attached to is
1/4 inch steel plate then solid wood then a soft ply facing that engine sits against.
I put a set of holes in the BIA pattern so engine can be solidly mounted to work on or
for total disassembly etc.
I also have extra stability legs that can be quickly attached that extend the width by
upto 15 inch each side. as per the dreadnaught stand.
with this set up I can have a 100 gallon water butt on the base and still move the whole
thing around and leave in the garage over night etc. (saves getting hose out again)
It is a very strong assembly that can also fold up flat against a wall when not in use.
the stand is 33 inches wide.

anyone else made their own outboard stand ?

Here is a picture of the dreadnaught painted blue, and my version before painting silver.

Profile Send private message