It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 1:33 am

Stringer parts

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 1st, 2016, 10:33 am   
Drag Racing Sponsor

If you're interested, I can give you the paint code and brand I used to paint the hood. If it were me (or if you want to sell the stuff back to me haha), I would rebuild what's there as I think you could have it rebored and buy new pistons and some bearings for $500, finish painting it up and put it on display in your living room as someone else posted haha! If it doesn't have the lighter rods in it that were supposed to be used in '75, I believe I have a set here.

Kevin

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 1st, 2016, 2:11 pm   
Team Member

Hevi Kevi wrote:
If you're interested, I can give you the paint code and brand I used to paint the hood. Kevin

Thanks Kevin . I am sure other people would be interested in the code. You can post it here or PM me.

I am going to rebuild the powerhead this winter. I going to do a test with it and I am hoping you can help.
I want to test the 49 on a 20 mid with a 2 cylinder nitro case. The easiest way is to use a 2 cylinder 15 inch lower unit with
a 5 inch extension. The female on the extension would be made from the lower end on a junk 2 cylinder crank. The top part of the extension would be from a junk 3 cylinder 4 spline drive shaft. The shift rod is an easy switch from short to long.
Would you happen to have those junk parts? Can you make the extension?
By doing it this way, I don't ruin any of my short shaft parts.
I bet there are a few others that would like to try the small nitro on their long shaft. Maybe you can get enough orders to custom make the extension.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 10:19 am   
Team Member

More Stinger stuff on the market...broken nitro
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-trail ... nFlag=true

PostPosted: November 10th, 2016, 4:39 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Hounddog wrote:
Hevi Kevi wrote:
If you're interested, I can give you the paint code and brand I used to paint the hood. Kevin

Thanks Kevin . I am sure other people would be interested in the code. You can post it here or PM me.

I am going to rebuild the powerhead this winter. I going to do a test with it and I am hoping you can help.
I want to test the 49 on a 20 mid with a 2 cylinder nitro case. The easiest way is to use a 2 cylinder 15 inch lower unit with
a 5 inch extension. The female on the extension would be made from the lower end on a junk 2 cylinder crank. The top part of the extension would be from a junk 3 cylinder 4 spline drive shaft. The shift rod is an easy switch from short to long.
Would you happen to have those junk parts? Can you make the extension?
By doing it this way, I don't ruin any of my short shaft parts.
I bet there are a few others that would like to try the small nitro on their long shaft. Maybe you can get enough orders to custom make the extension.

I'm sure I could figure out a way to make that work. Probably easiest to just make an adapter/extension from new since I have an EDM. The paint I used was 2nd Dimension Acrylic Urethane Enamal. Number: 34683-B Colour: Orange D-2. That should be it. I bought 2 different cans and I'm pretty sure that's the one I used for that hood. I also used a similar shade from the same company for painting my other hood and there is a possibility I've got it mixed up but I'm pretty sure I have it right. Just took some original orange painted parts that hadn't seen the sun and tried to get as close as possible with it. The paint worked really well.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2016, 9:02 pm   
Team Member

Thanks Kevin, for the information and I will get one of the extensions if you decide to make some.

Just an up date on the Stinger powerhead and some interesting findings.
No surprise with the 1975 stinger. It needs a complete 30 over rebuild.

I also have a 1973 Stinger 2 cowl and I always wanted to restore one of those motors.
Tim sold me a normal Johnson 1973 short shaft.
Tim had two boats I really like...a original Critchfield and an original Hydrostream Viper.
I always wanted to run a 90 hp Yamaha on a Viper and been talked out of it.

I searched the web to get more info on the 1973 Stinger 2 short shaft.
Seems the Stinger is the same motor in orange.
The surprise is the Evinrude..it is the same Johnson motor in colour with a two tone cowl.
I looks very nice and the switch is very easy.
So the Johnson motor will become an Evinrude.

A link leads me to this thread:
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... etic-Resto

Lots of pictures and information on a similar 1972 resto.
One post has a Viper racing in FE and running low 50's.....no too bad !!
Another post shows a Viper flipping in an FE race!

If a Viper can run 52 mph in early 70's with a big foot 65 at the crank hp motor. My Yamaha will run very well.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 4:37 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

In the process of making some adapters right now. I milled the end of the 2 cylinder driveshaft to a square and making an adapter that slides over it and goes into the powerhead. It will be interesting to see how the parts hold up. Looks like you would need about a 28 or 29 pitch prop. Where would you find that?

PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 5:05 pm   
Team Member

Hevi Kevi wrote:
In the process of making some adapters right now. I milled the end of the 2 cylinder driveshaft to a square and making an adapter that slides over it and goes into the powerhead. It will be interesting to see how the parts hold up. Looks like you would need about a 28 or 29 pitch prop. Where would you find that?

I can see these being used on heavier non race boats. Old checkmates and Kennedy's ran mid 50 mphs with 49 nitro case motors.
I bet they run faster with more punch with the 2 cylinder case and a 24 pitch prop. Same should be true with a long shaft VooDoo.
Plus the small case on the VooDoo will handle better.
The ratio of the 2 cylinder nitro is similar to the ratio on the large 70 hp case. Fraser raced a strong 49, Critchfield, big case combo with a 24 pitch prop. Lighter driver would need a 25 pitch on that boat. The motors will turn in the 7000 rpm range.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 5:44 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Hounddog wrote:
Hevi Kevi wrote:

I can see these being used on heavier non race boats. Old checkmates and Kennedy's ran mid 50 mphs with 49 nitro case motors.
I bet they run faster with more punch with the 2 cylinder case and a 24 pitch prop. Same should be true with a long shaft VooDoo.
Plus the small case on the VooDoo will handle better.
The ratio of the 2 cylinder nitro is similar to the ratio on the large 70 hp case. Fraser raced a strong 49, Critchfield, big case combo with a 24 pitch prop. Lighter driver would need a 25 pitch on that boat. The motors will turn in the 7000 rpm range.

Ok, but if someone was using this on a lightweight critch with lightweight driver, on a short shaft, this is going to rev sky high with a 24 or 25. Need a 28 or 29 says the conversion. Anyone around going to have one of these or would it just have to be ordered from Ron Hill if he makes them?7

PostPosted: November 15th, 2016, 9:23 pm   
Team Member

Walk with Max had a 13 spline Hill copy of a Hoss that he loaned me a few years ago. So Hill can make a big 13 spline prop.