It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:28 am

LOOKING FOR ONE OF THESE 11 FOOT TUNNELS....

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 12:20 am   
Team Member

vwfreak wrote:
How about the 10ft version? I'd sure like to be able to race one these hulls after owning the first one almost 20 years ago, but I sure don't want to be doing it on my knees..

There is plenty of room for a foot throttle in the larger version. If this new tunnel class is being sold to potential racers as a cottage toy too, let them have a seat. Just my opinion, but I think making it a kneel down hull for the bigger class will scare people away. A detachable steering wheel and a seat are much more inviting when going for a rip at the cottage.

Rick (Dok) has a Yamaha 30hp that he has offered to let me use and test with next spring. I think that will be a good combo. I built this hull for a Mariner Magnum 40hp, but will try the 30 first.

What engine sizes are you thinking of using? 25, 30, 40+?

What you need to remember is your boat no longer is a Stock Outboard boat as soon as you put a seat in the boat. As a kneel down it could? race with the 25 hp class maybe even D....if approved
With a seat it is too short to be a Sport C .,,,, SC is 12 ft minimum
Down the road if Stock Outboard approved the J tunnel and there were racers wanting to move up .
I think you could have your 10 footer in AX with a seat and a 20 hp motor. It would need approval.
Included in the AX class [which is an early teen class] we could see the 40 hp [40 cubic inch] critchfield, 30 hp dinghy and maybe the 40 hp [40 cubic inch] Sport C which is currently a legal CBF class.
Also note that under our current T750 rules the 40 hp [40 cubic inch] junior critchfield can run with them with NO changes to the rule book.
The advantage of running junior T in AX is ...the racers are all the same age group.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 10:47 am   

This hull as been very over engineered and could easily be enlarged by 10% and then stretched to meet the 12ft requirement. It has been done by the original designer once already. Not sure if he ever got it wet though. This would also mean the addition of an approved capsule and harnesses would it not? That would make a lot of potential people walk away I'm sure.

I was reading an old thread here about Sport C between you and Andrew Fralick and this reply from Andrew stood out. "There is nothing stopping this class in Canada, or any OPC class for that matter, other than time in the day. Heck if you wanted to circle race aluminum boats or bass boats, I'm sure CBF will find a way."

Why not seek the CFB's approval for a "new" class? GT Pro seemed like a great starting point size and power wise, if you're trying to draw in new racers on a reasonable budget. Between the Catch 10 and Dillon hulls, it could be a great way to help the sport grow in Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mUjWiX2xCk

PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 2:35 pm   
Team Member

vwfreak wrote:
Why not seek the CFB's approval for a "new" class? GT Pro seemed like a great starting point size and power wise, if you're trying to draw in new racers on a reasonable budget. Between the Catch 10 and Dillon hulls, it could be a great way to help the sport grow in Ontario.

GT PRO is not a new class, that is why it has not been in these discussions. It is an APBA regional approved class. Only difference is GT Pro class could not have a national championship which is not important to Ontario racers. Look up the GT Pro rules on the APBA web site, make the changes to your hull to fit the rules. Get enough boats to have a race.
Then get a race club to agree to run it.
Keep us up-dated.

HERE ARE THE RULES:
GT PRO Rules

New For 2013: Blue text represents Rules changes, approved at the 2013 APBA National Meeting.

A. Driver's Minimum Age 12 (formerly 14)
B. Motors (NOTE: see also OPC rules #24 and #25 regarding replacement parts and modifications.)
1. Any 25 horsepower (small bore carburetor), two cylinder, 31.8 cid., thru-hub Johnson or Evinrude;
2. Any 30 or 35 horsepower (large bore carburetor), two cylinder, 31.8 cid. Johnson or Evinrude is allowed.

3. Unlimited part swapping with parts origninal to the 31.8 cid. OMC powerhead is allowed.
4. Engines must be stock, -- as manufactured (no blueprinting) -- with the following exceptions
a. Rpm limiters and oil injection systems may be removed.
b. Electric start may be added
c. Solid or pinned motor mounts are allowed.
d. Tiller arms may be removed
e. Air silencers may be removed
f. Skeg wear bar may be removed
g. Under-flywheel ignition may be converted to powerpack ignition using OEM or aftermarket parts/kits.
h. Neutral start switch may be removed
i. Cylinders may be bored .30 over and fitted with OEM oversize pistons.
j. Reeds of any material, OEM or aftermarket, are allowed.
5. 30/35 hp only: Power trim, manual-trim or spoilers, adjustable while the boat is underway is allowed. Up to 24 volt starting system allowed.
6. Transom adapters for raising, lowering or extending the engine will be allowed, but must be fixed while underway
7. Two 1" diameter holes that can be readily plugged (for testing) may be drilled in the lower unit above the cavitation plate.
8. Cosmetic appearance of engine may be changed.
9. Engines must be securely bolted to the boat with a minimum of two bolts
C. Boats: Minimum 10'0" long and 48" wide; Minimum Weights: 30/35 hp -- 650 Lbs.; 25 hp -- 525 Lbs.
1. Boats of any material, homebuilt, custom-built or production, are allowed
2. Boats may be v-bottom, modified vee or tunnel (no hydroplanes). Four inch minimum tunnel depth at transom.
3. Drivers must be sitting in a seat at all times, using a foot throttle and steering wheel.
4. Junction of seat and seat back may not be more than 36" rearward of midships.
5. Boats must have a minimum of 3 cu. ft. of flotation foam.
6. Boats will be required to start off plane.
D. Propellers -- Any propeller, prop nut, washer and thrust washer.

T750......... weight is 594 lbs

D STOCK HYDRO ........weight is 480 lbs

Last edited by Hounddog on December 13th, 2017, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 12:17 am   

My 10' Glen-L 'Tunnel Mite' tunnel ran 70 kmph or so with the Yamato 302. Super quick cornering, can handle reasonable waves, and plenty fast for cottage use. It is a relatively heavy boat as constructed, could certainly be built lighter/faster. Always wanted to try a 30 Yamaha on it. OTOH, the Yamato is cheap, light and reliable. Check it out, video I put together for my son, at... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqT6bc3iFhY

Tom

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 7:50 am   
Team Member

There is a big difference in weight [boat, motor and driver] between Stock Outboard and OPC being much heavier, As I mentioned before the heavier class weight does not hurt the class competition wise. All the boats in the class will perform the same. The heavier boat can reach the same top speed as the lighter boat. The difference is the time and distance the boats need in order to reach that top speed. Oval racers are concerned about their lap time [ET] not their top speed. A lake racer set up is different to a race set up. Lake is top speed...oval is acceleration, handling and ET.

OPC ovals are shorter 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile with sharper 2 buoy turns. 30 to 35 second lap times is the norm for OPC. We mostly run 3/4 to 1 mile ovals up here with 3 buoy turns. We have raced in APR races with 19 SST 60 boats in the same heat on a 35 second course 20 laps.....CRAZY STUPID! Then they wondered why the boat count was down the next race....8 boats were damaged in that heat. The problem with the longer course is the number of boats in the heat. You need 10 boats to fill the course.

I mentioned about staggering the start so we could have multiple classes in the same heat. On a mile course we could do it provided the boats were similar in speed and the wakes did hurt the hydro's in the group. The dinghy, Junior T class. a small SO tunnel and now GT PRO would all run in the 40's mph. Keeping Juniors in the same group would be more fun for them and they could switch boats around so they get experience in the different types of boats. It also gives us the opportunity to showcase many different makes and models of outboards.

This class is good for the older person that wants to relive their childhood dream of boat racing or for the parent that wants to race with their child. It also gets the kids from lake racing onto a course with proper safety gear and safety support staff.

This would be a timed race......not a particular number of laps.....ONE 20 minute heat per day...
It would be an easy fit into the schedule....NO SCORE KEEPERS......You could run the class early or late in the day.....Drones video the race and video is showing after the race day......The class attracts the new not really competitive types as well.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 12:38 pm   
Team Member

Just to clarify... there is no rule against a seat in stock outboard... trying to dig up picture of an A Hydro with sit down capsule that was raced 20 years ago.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 12:49 pm   
Team Member

I don't believe there is any rule against a V hull in Runabout classes. I think you could run sit down vee hull if you want in JSR/ASR/AXSR (of course with the appropriate engine unless new rules made/probationary). There are rules against the mixing of hull types. There are rules about the race length (timed not permitted unless not scored as a closed course race. It would be classified a marathon).

Note that CBF follows all APBA Technical rules unless specifically altered in the CBF rulebook.

There is lots of info in the rulebook :)

CBF does not really care what the rules are... insurance does not really care what the rules are, they just charge accordingly unless you start hurting people. The racers submit the rules, the racers vote on the rules. Submit any idea you want.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 4:06 pm   
Team Member

Andrew4ce wrote:
I don't believe there is any rule against a V hull in Runabout classes. I think you could run sit down vee hull if you want in JSR/ASR/AXSR (of course with the appropriate engine unless new rules made/probationary). There are rules against the mixing of hull types. There are rules about the race length (timed not permitted unless not scored as a closed course race. It would be classified a marathon).

Note that CBF follows all APBA Technical rules unless specifically altered in the CBF rulebook.

There is lots of info in the rulebook :)

CBF does not really care what the rules are... insurance does not really care what the rules are, they just charge accordingly unless you start hurting people. The racers submit the rules, the racers vote on the rules. Submit any idea you want.

I could feel this post coming. That is why I posted on Ron Hills site an hour or so before you posted here. MAYBE!! it is time to change the rule book. They do mix classes in other countries. I am calling it GROUP SESSIONS not a race. The structure could have sponsorship and rented boats. We have nothing like this to-day. Your comments are true but are very negative for people wanting to improve the current state.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/s ... rio-Canada

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 4:14 pm   
Team Member

I'm not sure what was negative? I said you could have a seat now, no rule against it, I tried to get a picture of a stock hydro with one. I said you can run a vee bottom now, no rule against it. I pointed out there are currently mixing of hulls rules and length of race rules. I said you can propose any rule you want to CBF (ie for motors/hulls), the racers make the rules and vote on them. CBF wouldn't get involved unless unsafe.

Anyway, I'll move on.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 7:12 pm   

There was a sit down DSR that ran Top O Michigan a couple of years ago. There were pictures of it being built on Hydroracer I believe and some footage of it running at the race. I found the idea interesting for us over 60 guys!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next