It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:02 am

LOOKING FOR ONE OF THESE 11 FOOT TUNNELS....

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 8:02 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
Andrew4ce wrote:
I don't believe there is any rule against a V hull in Runabout classes. I think you could run sit down vee hull if you want in JSR/ASR/AXSR (of course with the appropriate engine unless new rules made/probationary). There are rules against the mixing of hull types. There are rules about the race length (timed not permitted unless not scored as a closed course race. It would be classified a marathon).

Note that CBF follows all APBA Technical rules unless specifically altered in the CBF rulebook.

There is lots of info in the rulebook :)

CBF does not really care what the rules are... insurance does not really care what the rules are, they just charge accordingly unless you start hurting people. The racers submit the rules, the racers vote on the rules. Submit any idea you want.

I could feel this post coming. That is why I posted on Ron Hills site an hour or so before you posted here. MAYBE!! it is time to change the rule book. They do mix classes in other countries. I am calling it GROUP SESSIONS not a race. The structure could have sponsorship and rented boats. We have nothing like this to-day. Your comments are true but are very negative for people wanting to improve the current state.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/s ... rio-Canada

Jesus Don take it easy...I thought Andrew's post was good news lol. I like seats....though kneeling was pretty damn cool using my fat ass as trim.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 11:09 pm   
Team Member

Andrew is a good guy and without his input Stock Outboard would have died in the early 2000's. Andrew is the only one in TORC to support and encourage some of my ideas. He was a major help in getting T class under way. We're different in that he likes to play by and follow the rule book he is not big on change when things are going well.. I am a dreamer and look outside the box always trying to improve on what we have and look to the future. Andrew and I have clashed before, no big deal. I have a lot of respect for Andrew.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 1:44 pm   
Team Member

vwfreak wrote:
Why not seek the CFB's approval for a "new" class? GT Pro seemed like a great starting point size and power wise, if you're trying to draw in new racers on a reasonable budget. Between the Catch 10 and Dillon hulls, it could be a great way to help the sport grow in Ontario.

I was reading the UIM 2017 Rule Book to-day. There is another option! S750
That class is has the same rules as T750 only it is a tunnel.
You run the T motor no SST 45 gear case.
NO CELL REQUIRED!!!
BUT YOU CAN RUN WITH A CELL SAME AS T CLASS.
542.12 - MINIMUM DIMENSIONS
Class Weight Length Reinforced cockpit
S 550 260 kg 3.70 m ——————
S 750 280 kg 3.90 m —————— 12.7 feet....618 lbs...works for me.
S 850 330 kg 3.90 m mandatory
S 1000 380 kg 4.20 m mandatory
S 1500 430 kg 4.50 m mandatory
S 2000 470 kg 4.80 m mandatory
S 3000 530 kg 5.10 m mandatory

AND YOU HAVE A SEAT!

PLUS WE ONLY NEED TO MAKE THESE ADDITIONS TO THE CURRENT T750 RULE BOOK
- add S750 TUNNEL
- material composite or wood or both
- add MINIMUM size and weight...12.7 feet....618 lb
- add engine height restriction....bottom of gear case bullet parallel to bottom of sponsons.
ENGINE RULES ARE THE SAME AS T750

Run a smaller motor for the Juniors and they can move up to the larger motors later.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 4:21 am   
Team Member

COMPLETE UIM RULE BOOK
https://www.uimpowerboating.com/Documen ... reader.pdf

- SPORT OUTBOARDS....... S750 551 to 750 cc .

- HULL
Only catamarans are permitted

- MINIMUM DIMENSIONS
Class Weight Length
S 750 280 kg 3.90 m ——————
including driver, personal safety equipment, residual fuel but without residual water.

- MACHINERY
An outboard motor is a mechanical propulsion assembly which can be removed from the boat as a single unit, complete with its transmission, and which does not transmit the power through the hull at any point. Any mechanism intended to modify the angle of attachment and/or the height of the motor is authorized. The motor thus taken off and placed ashore must be capable of being started, fed by its fuel tank. The mounting supports fixed to the boat, the control levers, the tachometer with its connections, the battery with its conductors and the fuel tank and fuel lines do not form part of the power unit. Only single motor is permitted. 543.02 To be homologated as a sports motor, an outboard motor must be sold and advertised by an industrial firm as being manufactured in standard production series (that is to say with all parts interchangeable and with identical dimensions and materials with the equivalent part in another motor of the same model.) for the propulsion of boats. A sports outboard motor must be able to run at a reduced speed. When the motor is in the water, the cooling must be effected by the homologated water circulation pump. An efficient gear changing system giving forward, neutral and astern movement is compulsory for motors up to and including 1000 cc capacity. The control handle for reverse gear, ready for use, must be within easy hand reach of the driver when he is in the normal driving position. Manoeuvring of the boat astern must be possible by selecting reverse gear. The casing of the underwater unit (gearcase) is free. All internal parts referred to on the homologation file must be maintained. Should the homologation provide for it, the exhaust will be a propeller exhaust. 181 2017 Circuit Rules Published on 23/12/16 543.06 All lower unit exhaust openings must remain standard within the homologated size. 543.07 For motors 1001 cc capacity and above, forward, neutral and reverse gear are not compulsory. Such fixed gear versions are not necessarily intended for sale to or be used by general non-racing public. However, they must be available as an integral part of the complete outboard motor and homologated as such. The mounting brackets, midsection including exhaust pipes and gearcase, together with any parts required to fit these, must retain the dimensions specified on the homologation form. 543.08 An electric or manual starter must assure a quick and easy start without external aids. It must be used as it was supplied by the manufacturer, no adjustment or alteration being allowed. 543.09 -
SOLE MODIFICATIONS ALLOWED
1. All studs, screws, nuts, bolts and their washers are free as well as the method of locking them;
2. The original propeller may be replaced by another in accordance with 504.13.
3. The trim tab may be altered or removed to accommodate a propeller;
4. The cooling must be provided by the water pump;
5. Thermostats and pressure valves of the cooling system may be removed;
6. The steering mechanism may be altered. If the original steering bar is removed or new ones are installed, any openings created must be sealed to prevent the motor from pulling in additional air;
7. The swivel bracket may be altered for the purpose of installing a power trim and/or a power lift and the dampers (shock absorbers) may be altered or removed. For F4 class the standard power trim is allowed, the power lift is not allowed in F
8. The rubber mounts of the motor may be altered, removed or replaced;
9. Revolution counters, water temperature gauges, water pressure gauges and similar instruments, can be installed;
10. Revolution limiters may be removed;
11. The gear interlock device on the starter may be removed;
12. Spark plugs are free;
13. Original carburettor jets may be replaced for another size;
14. Springs may be added to the throttle lever of the carburettors;
15. Re boring is allowed, but only piston assemblies supplied by the manufacturer of the motor may be used within the cc limit of the class. When ports in cylinders are adjusted to the dimensions specified in the homologation sheet, material may only be removed in the specified opening to a depth of 10 mm, to match the shape of the original adjacent connecting passage (channel) outside the adjusted port opening. This also applies to other openings in the motor for which the dimensions are specified in the homologation sheet; For classes using Mercury 2.5 EFI homologation sheet n° F-1/00496 (F1 engine) the use of aftermarket pistons and connecting rods is allowed, conforming to UIM homologation specification. The number of piston rings must be the same 183 2017 Circuit Rules Published on 23/12/16
16. A part which is dimensioned in the homologation sheet may be machined for the purpose of reaching that specific measure;
17. A part may be machined to attain the weight quoted in the homologation sheet without altering other criteria given for the part in question. It is not allowed to change the flywheel but balancing machining is allowed if the dimensions and weights provided for on the homologation sheet are respected;
18. Measurements not quoted in the homologation sheet shall only be checked by visual comparison with standard parts. As the actual manufacturing tolerances are not published, small differences between the inspected part and the reference part must be accepted;
19. The fuel connector in the lower cover may be removed and the fuel hose from the fuel tank connected directly to the fuel pump. If this is done the opening left after the connector and around the fuel hose must be sealed to prevent extra air entering inside of cover; 20. Electric fuel pumps may be added provided the fuel still runs through the original fuel system and no parts are removed or blocked off;
21. No parts may be added to the motor unless specified in this rule;
22. It is allowed to extend the starter cord of a rewind starter so that the starting handle can be reached from the cockpit.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 12:21 pm   

Hey Don I think my little tunnel meets your proposed class rules and it's ready to role http://photobucket.com/user/snopro86/me ... d.jpg.html

http://photobucket.com/user/snopro86/me ... y.jpg.html

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 2:14 pm   
Team Member

snopro 86 wrote:
Hey Don I think my little tunnel meets your proposed class rules and it's ready to role http://photobucket.com/user/snopro86/me ... d.jpg.html

http://photobucket.com/user/snopro86/me ... y.jpg.html

Sure looks like the small Tom Cat or Grand Prix. Is it a fiberglass hull ? What size motor are you running? How does it perform with the prop you have on it?

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 2:47 pm   

Hey I think it's a grand prix but I could be wrong . It's all fibreglass ,carbon fibre in the cockpit area. I have seen 55 on the gps but it is more like 53 on an average run . It is running 45 omc with a 23 pitch prop .I would love to find another 23 with very low rake if someone has something cluttering up the garage. LOL

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 1:46 am   
Team Member

Andrew4ce wrote:
There are rules against the mixing of hull types.
Note that CBF follows all APBA Technical rules unless specifically altered in the CBF rulebook.
CBF does not really care what the rules are... insurance does not really care what the rules are, they just charge accordingly unless you start hurting people. The racers submit the rules, the racers vote on the rules. Submit any idea you want.

Not 100% true....TORC ran SLT tunnels with T Boats ...
AND
GT PRO
C. Boats: Minimum 10'0" long and 48" wide; Minimum Weights: 30/35 hp -- 650 Lbs.; 25 hp -- 525 Lbs.
1. Boats of any material, homebuilt, custom-built or production, are allowed
2. Boats may be v-bottom, modified vee or tunnel (no hydroplanes).

The racers submit the rules, the racers vote on the rules.
Not 100% true....that is true when racers want to make changes to the current rule book.
If the class is a current UIM, APBA or CBF class and the class is going to be run by those rules then the club can add those class[es] to their sanction request.
So there would be no probation to run classes such as:
SST 60
F1
GT PRO
S750
The club can decide.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 12:10 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Andrew4ce wrote:

Not 100% true....TORC ran SLT tunnels with T Boats ...
AND
GT PRO
C. Boats: Minimum 10'0" long and 48" wide; Minimum Weights: 30/35 hp -- 650 Lbs.; 25 hp -- 525 Lbs.
1. Boats of any material, homebuilt, custom-built or production, are allowed
2. Boats may be v-bottom, modified vee or tunnel (no hydroplanes).

The racers submit the rules, the racers vote on the rules.
Not 100% true....that is true when racers want to make changes to the current rule book.
If the class is a current UIM, APBA or CBF class and the class is going to be run by those rules then the club can add those class[es] to their sanction request.
So there would be no probation to run classes such as:
SST 60
F1
GT PRO
S750
The club can decide.

OK, back for another kick at the can, haha.

Clarification... Mixing of classes/hull types... you made comment directly about Stock Outboard and all my comments were in relation to Stock Outboard. Mixing of hydroplanes/runabouts/tunnel under Stock Outboard or with Stock Outboard classes, there are current CBF/APBA rules against that. Race distance, there are rules for that. VPR and ThunderCat are different categories and to my knowledge have no rules against mixing of hull types or distance, but I'm not positive. Again, you can propose any rule you like. And yes, of course if it's an existing class under UIM/CBF you don't need new rules, it can just be listed on a sanction by any club (if CBF has rules on file still or are handed them from another group). And if it's an APBA class and not a CBF class, we've had success in listing it with CBF on a sanction as "APBA Class so and so"

I believe any class or hull that is not hydroplane or Stock Outboard racing runabout style hulls will have little chance of getting in to the "Stock Outboard" rule book and mixing with Stock Outboard classes. (but there is no rule in Stock Outboard against seats or vee hull in the runabout classes I believe) Stock Outboard racers will likely keep things very aligned with APBA as racers are crossing the border both ways on a regular basis and APBA has given us problems before for having classes that don't align. This is a hurdle in Stock Outboard up here, we have no voice in APBA but must follow. Racing in CBF under OPC or VPR (or possibly a new category if you like) is the way to go since no one is crossing the border. This of course as I've always said doesn't stop any club from hosting that class or category. An event can host classes from any mix of categories it wants.

You are correct Don. I follow the rules to the best of my ability and encourage all others to read the rules and do so too. Yes some of the rules are messed up, we work to fix them each year at the convention. The rulebooks were left in some cases unchanged for decades as there was little involvement in the CBF during the inboard arguments and fiascos. If there is something in the rules I don't like, I have no issue making proposals to change them and encourage others to do so to. I made about 40 rule changes at the 2016 convention changing to current way we do things that I thought improved this for all categories. I have no issue with people who want to change the rules, please, ANYONE, read a rulebook, get involved, and make things better!! But if it's in the rulebook, I do my best to follow it.

I am not opposed to changed, as stated I helped get T boats back on the water. I helped get Drag back on the water. I helped get ThunderCats on the water. I offered to drive to Ottawa and race a Dinghy (but not interested in racing what seems to have evolved into a 2 person vee bottom pad boat). I fully support the 300SSH class and wish it was here.

Helping educate about the rules, or enforcing the rules, does not mean I agree with them.

I think a simple sit down club foot fishing motor vee hull runabout class with motors around 15-20 hp would be a big hit with new kids. I don't think this needs reinventing. There seems to be piles of classes similar in Europe/UIM. Pick a UIM class and give it a try. I don't think it will get any traction in a "Stock Outboard" rule book. Stock Outboard is only stock in the terms that the motors came from a factory the same. The majority are blueprinted modified racing motors. OPC has been the traditional home of club foot motor racing. VPR is a logical home if it's Vee hull as that is an active group.

That got long... haha. But just trying to inform all, as many people don't know or understand how things operate. Many have never read the rule books or been to a convention or meeting.

I wish you luck with a new class(es). More boat racing is good for everyone.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 11:26 am   
Team Member

The towns with a lot of CBF boat racing history are PETERBOROUGH , DUNNVILLE and GRAVENHURST.
I hope OPBRA finds additional locations.
I would not want TORC and OPBRA fighting over the same locations. The best outcome would be to have TOO MANY sites. Then each club has more sites than they need and they could?? rotate at some locations and mix their different classes at others.

THE BIG ADVANTAGE TO THE V BOTTOM DINGHY IS THE NUMBER OF DIFFERENT CLASSES THERE CAN BE FROM THE SAME BOAT.
First we do not currently have Aussie Dinghy style race courses....we run the oval.
- the V bottom would be in the VPR Rule Book with T class..different build materials will be allowed.
http://opbra.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017 ... -Rules.pdf
- it can be our 15 to 30 hp boat with a steering helm....weight limits up to 550 lbs
- it can be our tiller boat both single and 2 person 20 to 30 hp
- they can also be used as turn boats or tow boats at the event
- they are a dual purpose boat with a long life span.
IT COULD BE A FUTURE JV BOAT.

GT PRO AND S750 would be added to the sanction.
We would follow the UIM GREEN RULE. in S750....30% more displacement allowed for 4 stroke motors.
Just like T class these classes will have a class rep. Club executives work with the reps to get racer's support at events.

J TUNNEL is the only problem. Tunnels especially perform different. Size sometimes does not make a difference. We may not need an 8 foot JT tunnel. We will likely find that a GT PRO or S750 tunnel performs better and is much safer than an 8 foot. You only need to adjust the weight in the JT tunnel for the lighter driver and lighter motor. The added advantage is the driver keeps the same boat moving up to the next levels. We only have one class currently for kids under 12 and that is Stock Outboard class JH. At this point APBA Stock Outboard is NOT interested in tunnels or GREEN or production gear cases. We will draw more interest if we had all 3 hulls as options. JH, JT and JV. IF a club like OPBRA decided to have these classes and had success in getting new kids then OPBRA will be ahead in the curve and TORC will need to follow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next