It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:51 pm

LET'S GO DINGHY RACING!!!! $1700.00 for a GOOD BOAT!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 8:37 am   
Team Member

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motor ... nFlag=true

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 10:47 am   

Looks cool, a nice captn's seat, some Nav lights, a Yeti and some pops would be great for evening dockside visitations.

ISO Barefoot Sanger OB

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 1:35 pm   
Team Member

There are a few things that are great about this boat.
- the boat has a V bottom and a pad
- the boat is built in Ontario
- he can make changes and maybe a larger model.
We would only need to make a few changes to our T Class GT30 rules to included this type of boat.
As a starter class to get young people into racing....I THINK IT IS IDEAL!
We would not necessarily need 30 hp motors.....Kids could start with 15 hp and have a blast with one of these.
http://dinghyderby.com.au/wp-content/up ... G_4904.jpg
Have promotion vinyl on the sides.
It's different, it's new, it's low cost and adds interest to our race events.

WHAT WE NEED TO DO IS HAVE ONE ON DISPLAY AT THE TORONTO BOAT SHOW JANUARY 2018!

Last edited by Hounddog on November 4th, 2017, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 2:30 pm   
Team Member

Is the boat in Kijiji ad a one-off demo and priced as such or would the price noted be actual for a new hull?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 3:20 pm   
Team Member

Tomcat wrote:
Is the boat in Kijiji ad a one-off demo and priced as such or would the price noted be actual for a new hull?

It is the original one Jamie built. So the $1700.00 is for that boat. You may want a different boat. He can build one to suit you. It may cost more of less depending on the boat. Once a few people get interested in racing then that group can decide exactly what features they want in the RACE boat. The RACEboats should be all the same. Others can custom order.

Yes. I assembled it. Can make as many as you want. Can custom build other designs also.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 9:21 pm   

I like the idea of 30hp tiller type of racing. Having a race boat and motor that is available to the general public and can also be used as a fishing boat or grocery getter could attract more people to racing.
There are pros and cons to all types of boat materials.
Aluminum is durable and easy (for some people) to repair. Cheap. Does not rot. Recyclable. But keeping the bottom in racing condition, flat and free of dents could be challenging.
Having identical equipment is appealing to some but a deterrent for others.

I like wood. It’s bouyant. Easy to work with. Quiet. But needs maintenance.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 4:29 am   
Team Member

Arltralite wrote:
Having identical equipment is appealing to some but a deterrent for others.

You're never going to please everyone. Stock with similar equipment does work the best. Look at NASCAR. Same car 3 different motors. There is enough variable in prop selection alone to make a difference. Keep this class simple. The class is about FUN!
I have never got a lot of interest in this class on this site. That's the reason we need to be at the boat show. We need new people. When we started T Class 11 years ago we were at the boat show and we did get new people interested. The same will happen with this class.
TORC has had very good success with their Race School at Waterford. Young people try the sport at the school and then buy a boat. Many large APBA events only have junior classes as the second part of their program. To start with we need to showcase these boats. Peterborough would be an excellent place to show them. You can take kids out for a ride and talk to parents about the class. These are a dual purpose boat and not just a raceboat. They will have a wider appeal. Maybe we get several groups together and share the purchase of a few boats. Once we get a few boats out there we could sell tickets and have a lucky draw for a new boat every year. This class is a door opener and people will move from this class to other classes as they gain experience.
One of these hulls would get a lot of attention at a SEA FLEA event...https://www.facebook.com/Muskokaseaflea

QUOTE FROM RON HILL:
There Are a Million New Classes Waiting for Someone..
Between Orange, Texas and somewhere North Carolina, there are five tiller handles classes, growing larger, daily.
Times have changed, boat racing has changed....APBA has not changed, still same O same O.
We could add CBF to the last sentence.

EVEN THE F1 STARS ENJOY THESE BOATS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBP8l_Xc2hs

Last edited by Hounddog on November 6th, 2017, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 1:03 pm   
Team Member

Many Stock Outboard Racers run in multiple classes by changing the motor on their boat. TORC events reverse the schedule on Sunday so the racers only need to switch motors once a day. It does take some time to change motors. Tiller race boats are much easier and faster to change motors. Each motor is mounted to an aluminum plate. They do not use the motor's clamp bracket mounting holes to mount the motor to the transom because the brackets can be different on each motor. They use the transom bolts to bolt the aluminum plate to the transom. Each motor is mounted to its plate so that the transom height for the motor is perfect for the boat when the plate is bolted on. Takes 5 to 10 minutes to switch motors. So it would be very easy to run multiple classes in the same day .

I would initially have this class as SPECIAL EVENT:
- parent and child.....15 to 20 hp......stock aluminum prop
- one person............15 to 20 hp......race prop....http://img.scgpix.com/listimg/img1_1216 ... bCcjvM.jpg
- two people.............30 hp..............race prop

Last edited by Hounddog on November 13th, 2017, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 12:29 am   
Team Member

I was hoping the builder would post on the thread....
He is very interested.
Hi Don, this is very interesting. Actually one of the reasons i built this boat was to explore the idea of having races at petrie island in ottawa. There is a great location with public viewing which i think would be a great success if it could get off the ground. I have also pondered an obstacle timetrial/highmark type event with the small jetboats. I have a small group of guys who would be interested but have not found a suitable location yet. I am not too familiar with the various clubs around but would be very excited to pair with a club and bring a tiller racing event to life. How many boats do you think you would need? I am considering whether or not i could sponsor the boats to get started and participants could rent the boat per event. $100 a day or something like that?

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 10:28 am   
Team Member

(Sorry Don, I sent to your PM by mistake)
I'm interested in both the 2 person classes if this goes anywhere. I'd rent an outfit if that happens as I don't have space for more boats really (I have 8). With the current online and down under hype of this, I think it could go somewhere with real sponsors if someone put the effort in. In Jamie's design, the exposed hand holds like he has would be very dangerous in racing. The hand holds have to be on the inside of the hull so no one loses fingers bumping other boats/hard items/crashing. This would be awesome at TopO. Dunnville would be fun too as there are some islands and channels there. Ottawa, I'd go there.

Profile Send private message WWW