It is currently July 2nd, 2024, 2:53 am

Grey Areas in RACING RULES even at the highest level.

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 11:00 am   
Team Member

Over the last few years we in T Class have had a number of shots taken at us about our rules. It is difficult to please everyone and we have and will continue to redifinite our rules to make them better and better. There will always be GREY AREAS in any rule book. Those are rules that can be read in a number of different ways and most times make no difference at all.

BUT, this problem with F1 in UIM... the PREMIER OPC CLASS IN THE WORLD! is very interesting.
The rule is you must run a 9500 rpm rev limiter box.
Tech inspectors thought that the top boats had found a way to by pass the rev limiter and were running over 10,000 rpms. They had monitor boxes made and installed them on the top 7 boats.
Several of the teams objected to having the monitor boxes on their motors and demanded they be removed.
UIM executive had the boxes removed, stating that the rule said you had to run the 9500 rpm box, but the rule didn't say you were limited to 9500 rpm. If that is the case then that must be stated in the rule and you cannot change the rule during the race season. That change has to be presented and voted on prior to next season.

F1 Prop in the USA may have a simlar situation.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 11:47 am   
Team Member

Legal terms in ANY form of regulation/contract is up for interpretation.
The winningest teams usually "read between the lines" to discover these loop holes.

As I was reading your post, it came to my mind immediately that it didn't say it had to function, just be on board!!

PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 6:38 pm   
Team Member

The merc ecu box, records rpm. The "gold" box for UIM is no different, you can seem in hours minutes and seconds as to exactly what the motor did during the duration of the run. The only way to remove this is opening the box and connecting to it. Clearly this is not within the rules ( black and white)
What is happening is pushing into the limiter, there are a few ways to do this but at best only 1-200 rpm are gained .
Rules are made to be circumvented, I don't call it cheating. If there is a grey area or an area totally missed to me it is fair game. You can bet that the other top guys are doing exactly the same.

Stock class rules suck, there is way too many ways to cheat. All the stock classes I know are tech nightmare and then the tech themselves have to be smarter than the racers.... A tough battle. Mod classes are simple.
If I were to make the rules it would be simple, 160 psi and an option to purchase the "cheater" motor for an value, say 2500 bucks. It would not be wise to build some hi dollar mod motor if there was risk in loosing it.

Rt