It is currently May 11th, 2024, 7:34 pm

T-boat racing 2012

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 8:18 am   
Team Member

Here is the problem we have put ourselves in because we have allowed certain mods to let pass in order to get a boat count. As I mentioned before most of the mods have done nothing to improve the performance and the top boats appear to be legal. If the racer runs mid pack no one cares what they run. The problem araises when a group of illegal boats are the top boats. Now you have a problem. There are currently several racers in the class that run by the rule book. They will either quit or go mod.

Just to give you an idea of what would not pass.

Mike Hooper's motor is over 160 lbs compression and runs a mod 50 flywheel. If he just changes the head and flywheel.
He is fine.

Zonka's boat does not weight 725 lbs. He likely needs to add 75 lbs.

Larry is running low water pick-ups.

Paul your new T850 boat will need to add weight.

Ryley is running 170 lbs compression.

Rick sorry, but Cory is no where close to legal.
His motor is a mod 70 not a 70CES...wrong carbs, wrong head, wrong tuner and he runs low water pick-up.
Plus his boat is not 725 lbs.

We have the UIM/APBA specs for 70CES, 49 OMC and SST 60.

By allowing mods in the class we can't stop a racer to mod more than others.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 8:47 am   
Team Member

If you want to follow the rule book... Now is the time to agree to time limits on motors/boats out of spec... give them 2 seasons to conform. Everyone knows what is coming and people who have illegal parts or compression or whatever can slowly adjust their setups/motors to be legal. People who are legal know their day is coming and might not be pushed off to other interests because they get beat all the time.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 8:49 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
Here is the problem we have put ourselves in because we have allowed certain mods to let pass in order to get a boat count. As I mentioned before most of the mods have done nothing to improve the performance and the top boats appear to be legal. If the racer runs mid pack no one cares what they run. The problem araises when a group of illegal boats are the top boats. Now you have a problem. There are currently several racers in the class that run by the rule book. They will either quit or go mod.

Just to give you an idea of what would not pass.

Mike Hooper's motor is over 160 lbs compression and runs a mod 50 flywheel. If he just changes the head and flywheel.
He is fine.

Zonka's boat does not weight 725 lbs. He likely needs to add 75 lbs.

Larry is running low water pick-ups.

Paul your new T850 boat will need to add weight.

Ryley is running 170 lbs compression.

Rick sorry, but Cory is no where close to legal.
His motor is a mod 70 not a 70CES...wrong carbs, wrong head, wrong tuner and he runs low water pick-up.
Plus his boat is not 725 lbs.

We have the UIM/APBA specs for 70CES, 49 OMC and SST 60.

By allowing mods in the class we can't stop a racer to mod more than others.

So...for 90% of the issues weight and compression solve the problem. Those two rules are GOOD...and they WILL keep guys in check.

I'll let Mike speak to his motor but other than the carbs and LWP his motor is a CES clone (I know the head is but the tuner could be anything...I forgot about the carbs)....it's not as wild as a SST60 though. AND if he makes compression who cares which head he has...CES, Clone or cut stock? My point in all of this is that you can't get too "black and white" without getting back to 850cc or turning it into an SST60 class (or adding weight to the 56's/sst60s) ;).

Weight and limited compression will hurt full mod motors....and keep a cap on speed (the goal)...this allows a wide range of motors and boats to participate and we're not having to police every single engine. The fair competition rule is a catch all for those that are clearly opperating out of bounds. I've been a fan of this system since day one...and it is working. The boats are bang on the expected speeds and everyone is having a GREAT time!!

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 10:23 am   
Team Member

Talk about timing.
This is an example of the e-mails I get. It gives you an idea what others are thinking.
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:13 AM
To: Don Whittington
Subject: T boat

Hey Don, I have not joined the new site yet ..still hoping things settle, reading your rules if someone is dominating I think its unfair if there motor is illegal, I want to build my 60 omc 2 banger legal, that being said what is legal? any porting at all..or cleaning castings balancing? tuner change is legal, I think you will have to enforce rules oneday as everyone will get too fast because if you can't beat em join em!!! or quit.. I hope it doesnt happen to the t boats.. I have the people and knowledge to build a full mod motor for a t boat but why? I want to make it to the rules so it is legal if ever enforced.

Cheers
Jeremy

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 11:13 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
So...for 90% of the issues weight and compression solve the problem. Those two rules are GOOD...and they WILL keep guys in check.

I'll let Mike speak to his motor but other than the carbs and LWP his motor is a CES clone (I know the head is but the tuner could be anything...I forgot about the carbs)....it's not as wild as a SST60 though. AND if he makes compression who cares which head he has...CES, Clone or cut stock? My point in all of this is that you can't get too "black and white" without getting back to 850cc or turning it into an SST60 class (or adding weight to the 56's/sst60s) ;).

Weight and limited compression will hurt full mod motors....and keep a cap on speed (the goal)...this allows a wide range of motors and boats to participate and we're not having to police every single engine. The fair competition rule is a catch all for those that are clearly opperating out of bounds. I've been a fan of this system since day one...and it is working. The boats are bang on the expected speeds and everyone is having a GREAT time!!

The problem is to define what little mod is OK and where is too much mod not OK. You can't do it. You can't say that this guy is mod just so they can compete. We can legally adjust the rules so that each motor is competitive. We need to compare legal engines and boats to legal engines and boats, not motors with different mods and under weight boats etc. The most important thing. Racers need to have respect for racing, their fellow competitors and the rules.

GREAT DISCUSSION!!
Don't panic..this is part of the growth process for T Class. These problems are in all grass roots racing. Other classes are afraid to open the box and address the problems.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 12:38 pm   
Team Member

We also have another feature in the Fair Competition Rule which can adjust the Final Heat of the day and also the points.
Provided we have the boat count in T850 to run heats and we have at least 5 legal boats. The final would be only those boats. The Consolation Final provided there is time in the race program would have all the other boats. The winning boat in the Consolation Final would receive 6 place points and points go down from there. This way we reward the legal boats, the people that want to race for points and the other boats can still have their fun and no one will be up set. Could be a win-win!

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 1:07 pm   
Team Member

Agreed, different configurations outside of spec have been accommodated last 2 years to generate excitement and build the class. This has been a resounding success.
I am for reigning in non-compliance toward the spec as outlined by Don, and as commented by Jeremy:

All boats must pass the mninum 1-2 test requirement to even be allowed to race.
[1] it must be legal weight and legal compression.
[2] the motor must visually look like it conforms to the rules.

So if your under weight ...your out.
If you have over 160 compression...your out
If you have the wrong....flywheel your out
If you have the wrong carbs....your out
If you have the wrong gearcase your out.
The motor must look correct
Every racer should respect this as the minimum requirement. You must draw the line somewhere.

These rules have been in the book for several years with minor tweaks going into 2012. There isn't anyone running mods/underweight that can say they're surprised if these are now enforced to get 750/850 to level playing feild.

PS: I concede, my oversight, LC rightfully gets day 1 pass out of 750 purgatory to run wth big dogs, having been bounced and suckled on the hind teat long enough, he's earned plump rewards. Go LC, kick ass!... I still think new,new 850 Newbies should work through 750 for a couple of heats prior to moving up.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 1:27 pm   
Team Member

just comment from a outsider, what was the cause for the demise of the t class years ago, might be something to look at so history doesn't repeat it self. with the renewed interest it would suck if things imploded on itself with confusion about what is legal and what isn't. ;)

http://thundercatracingna.com/

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 1:36 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

as an outsider looking into this thread... it makes me want to race.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 1:39 pm   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:
PS: I concede, my oversight, Little Charger rightfully gets day 1 pass out of 750 purgatory to run wth big dogs, having been bounced and suckled on the hind teat long enough, he's earned plump rewards. Go LC, kick ass!... I still think new,new 850 Newbies should work through 750 for a couple of heats prior to moving up.

Eric, we actually did this in Dunnville 2011. The new fellows raced in their own heat. It was a good success. We will group the T750 and T850 for sure in one of the heats. The new racers are more comfortable in their own group initially and they will get to the top group as they develop. T750 should have more boats in 2012. Jim and Dave are looking forward to racing some T850 with their T750 boats. Having Jim run with the new group will help them with their starts and learning the driving line around the oval. Jim will have fun trying to beat a T850 boat with a smaller T750 motor. T class is in great shape and has a good plan.

Quote from a outsider, what was the cause for the demise of the t class years ago, might be something to look at so history doesn't repeat it self. with the renewed interest it would suck if things imploded on itself with confusion about what is legal and what isn't
The class disappeared in Canada because PPR [Professional Powerboat Racing] folded. It disappeared in APBA because they decided to make it a mod class...THANKS FOR ASKING THE QUESTION!

Last edited by Hounddog on April 10th, 2012, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next