It is currently May 15th, 2024, 2:46 pm

T-boat racing 2012

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:33 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

LittleCharger wrote:
Doug/Mike how's the Critch coming? I still have the concrete board for the floor like Dok suggested but you haven't been by to pick it up yet! Perhaps when mike goes home from Western you can swing by and pick it up! :lol:

the way Doug drive's that panther you better hope Mike the Tunnel driver races it ...lol.. other wise none of you will have a chance... except for rick with his "AGLD"...(Anti-getting-lapped-Defense)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 10:38 am   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
LittleCharger wrote:
Doug/Mike how's the Critch coming? I still have the concrete board for the floor like Dok suggested but you haven't been by to pick it up yet! Perhaps when mike goes home from Western you can swing by and pick it up! :lol:

the way Doug drive's that panther you better hope Mike the Tunnel driver races it ...lol.. other wise none of you will have a chance... except for rick with his "AGLD"...(Anti-getting-lapped-Defense)

:lol: that's EXACTLY what I was thinking...time for Mike to graduate and throw away the training wheels!

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 12:13 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
You will remember that on another site Jim was very concerned that the T850 speeds would get too fast. The reason for his post was a result of him testing the 100% legal 56'r I put together. On an 880 lb boat his GPS speed was 72 mph in 17 seconds. That was 5 mph faster than his yamaha on his current 767 lb. boat. Jim's Oasis T boat will weight 745 to 750 lbs. with that motor on it. Being 130 lbs lighter than the test boat he will at least be 1 to 4 mph faster than the test boat and much quicker.

A note on the Speed Concern in T850

Class members View of T Class Specs.
Most of the racers want No teardowns and keep it simple.
For some the quote is: If they want to tear me down I will just DQ myself. I do not care about
points.

CBF and TORC’S view is to keep it safe and have the speeds below or near the Records for the class.
Do not get them involved if you have spec issues with racers when you are not enforcing them.
The current rules have the boats running in the desired speed range.

Do we have a problem? Not Yet. Could we…yes.
The only problem I currently see is an under weight boat with a STRONG OMC 56’r on it.
We know a few of the boats in T850 are below 725 lbs.
A legal stock 49 cubic inch OMC or a Yamaha 70CES can get high 60's to very low 70’s on a 625 lb boat.

The problem comes when a strong 56’r runs on that same 625 lb. boat.
Now your in the Mid 70’s and very dangerous for the size of boat.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 1:49 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
You will remember that on another site Jim was very concerned that the T850 speeds would get too fast. The reason for his post was a result of him testing the 100% legal 56'r I put together. On an 880 lb boat his GPS speed was 72 mph in 17 seconds. That was 5 mph faster than his yamaha on his current 767 lb. boat. Jim's Oasis T boat will weight 745 to 750 lbs. with that motor on it. Being 130 lbs lighter than the test boat he will at least be 1 to 4 mph faster than the test boat and much quicker.

For some the quote is: If they want to tear me down I will just DQ myself. I do not care about
points.

CBF and TORC’S view is to keep it safe and have the speeds below or near the Records for the class.
Do not get them involved if you have spec issues with racers when you are not enforcing them.

The only problem I currently see is an under weight boat with a STRONG OMC 56’r on it.
A legal stock 49 cubic inch OMC or a Yamaha 70CES can get high 60's to very low 70’s on a 625 lb boat.

Hdog and others, it is timely(60days prior to WF) to establish a process, the criteria and method, by which to enforce slowing down T850 rigs exceeding an established speed threshold.
A boat could exceed the threshold due to lightness of weight, overpowered, or other. T850 rules have established minimum weight, cu.in., compression, and other specifications. All drivers must be familiar with these and will be held responsible to ensure their equipment meets these specifications. Lack of understanding these rules(NOT guidelines)is not an acceptable excuse to be permitted to race.
Options to slow down boats in excess of threshold has been previously mentioned(eg: propping down). Who will inventory a range of props, bring to venues, enforce propping down on raceday, determine which prop is selected? T inspector? Or how(bolted of course) and where(transom/floor) will weight be affixed to a boat to make minimum?
Most agree it is not in T interests to have an excessively fast boat(70/72/74/76+?) on the course which compromises the safety of an individual or other drivers. No individual driver should get a pass and allowed on the course to race in excess of the threshold if they consent to be DQ'd, whether before the race or instead of being subjected a teardown. Being on the course jeopardizes their safety and that of others. If an accident occurs, TORC/T will have much larger issues of risk/liabilty/jeopardizing future racing, if discovered the racer was permitted on the course with equipment outside established criteria/rules.
Although 'T-party' event early May is meant for pre-season inspection(eg: weigh-in, compression test, safety eqpmnt, cu. in., etc...), not all 2012 racers can attend. How/when will inspection be administered and enforced prior to each venue for those not previously inspected? I'm thinking those not previously passed must have this completed the Friday evening prior to Sat/Sun racing. Of those previously passed a random number should be re-inspected to maintain integrity.
The concerns over speed Jim911/you raise are valid, have been raised before, remain in the interests of all drivers and the class should defer to your collective experience. 2012 has several new drivers, and other drivers who have upped their game for 2012.
T class Fair Competition Rule is in effect, but I see a need for further defined criteria around maximum speed threshold and practical raceday enforcement. If a protocol is established and practiced successfully in 2012, this can be proposed and accepted into Tclass racing rules for 2013.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 2:30 pm   
Team Member

Hydroid wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
Hounddog wrote:

points.

Hdog and others, it is timely(60days prior to WF) to establish a process, the criteria and method, by which to enforce slowing down T850 rigs exceeding an established speed threshold.
A boat could exceed the threshold due to lightness of weight, overpowered, or other. T850 rules have established minimum weight, cu.in., compression, and other specifications. All drivers must be familiar with these and will be held responsible to ensure their equipment meets these specifications. Lack of understanding these rules(NOT guidelines)is not an acceptable excuse to be permitted to race.
Options to slow down boats in excess of threshold has been previously mentioned(eg: propping down). Who will inventory a range of props, bring to venues, enforce propping down on raceday, determine which prop is selected? T inspector? Or how(bolted of course) and where(transom/floor) will weight be affixed to a boat to make minimum?
Most agree it is not in T interests to have an excessively fast boat(70/72/74/76+?) on the course which compromises the safety of an individual or other drivers. No individual driver should get a pass and allowed on the course to race in excess of the threshold if they consent to be DQ'd, whether before the race or instead of being subjected a teardown. Being on the course jeopardizes their safety and that of others. If an accident occurs, TORC/T will have much larger issues of risk/liabilty/jeopardizing future racing, if discovered the racer was permitted on the course with equipment outside established criteria/rules.
Although 'T-party' event early May is meant for pre-season inspection(eg: weigh-in, compression test, safety eqpmnt, cu. in., etc...), not all 2012 racers can attend. How/when will inspection be administered and enforced prior to each venue for those not previously inspected? I'm thinking those not previously passed must have this completed the Friday evening prior to Sat/Sun racing. Of those previously passed a random number should be re-inspected to maintain integrity.
The concerns over speed Jim911/you raise are valid, have been raised before, remain in the interests of all drivers and the class should defer to your collective experience. 2012 has several new drivers, and other drivers who have upped their game for 2012.
T class Fair Competition Rule is in effect, but I see a need for further defined criteria around maximum speed threshold and practical raceday enforcement. If a protocol is established and practiced successfully in 2012, this can be proposed and accepted into Tclass racing rules for 2013.

I understand your concerns Erik, but I don't think we have a set maximum speed threshold for a legal boat (that is not in the rules), the fair competition rule was removed from the rules at the CBF level (I'm sure most will honour it thou)

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 2:38 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

LittleCharger wrote:
I understand your concerns Erik, but I don't think we have a set maximum speed threshold for a legal boat (that is not in the rules), the fair competition rule was removed from the rules at the CBF level (I'm sure most will honour it thou)

With our short courses I don't think you'll see guys running over 70 in a race situation...and if they do it's not going to be for any length of time. The average speed may come up but you can't really gaurd against that. Even if you limit the top end to 70mph the light boat with a strong 56 will be faster on any given part of the race course...so corning at 55mph versus 50 is where the action will be...

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 3:13 pm   
Team Member

I understand your concerns Erik, but I don't think we have a set maximum speed threshold for a legal boat (that is not in the rules), the fair competition rule was removed from the rules at the CBF level (I'm sure most will honour it thou)[/quote]

The Fair Competition Rule is still there. They deleted the Dominating part of that rule.

There is no problem in the class with a legal boat. As Paul and Rick commented. The problem is...is it a legal boat? I don't think everyone will be honest enough on their own to run a legal boat. So where do you draw the line? If it is an illegal boat and running mid pack...no one cares...no reason too..it adds a boat to the boat count and adds to the fun...all positive.

However, say we get a winning boat. Now what do we do. The winning boat owner will angue that there are other illegal boats running, so why are we picking on him? THAT IS WHERE THE DOMINATING PART OF THE RULE WAS SO IMPORTANT!

So long as we had the majority of the boats running in the desired speed range we could address that problem and slow that boat down or not allow him or her to race. IT WAS A GOOD RULE!

New T850 racers just need to understand what the class is all about.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 4:12 pm   
Team Member

[quote="Hounddog"]
However, say we get a winning boat. Now what do we do. The winning boat owner will angue that there are other illegal boats running, so why are we picking on him? THAT IS WHERE THE DOMINATING PART OF THE RULE WAS SO IMPORTANT!

Here is an example of the problem.

I loan Zonka the good 56'r Jim Tested.
Mike Hooper is running his Mod 60 motor.
Mike Cory is in the same heat.
Jake Elsey in the same heat
Rick Cole is in the same heat.
Jim Whittington is in the same heat with his Yamaha same boat as last year.

THE RESULT IN TWO HEATS IS THE SAME
Hooper wins easy.
Second and third is a close battle
Cory is second
Zonka third

Jake four

Almost 1/2 a lap behind
Jim five
Rick sixth.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 4:38 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
Hounddog wrote:

Here is an example of the problem.

I loan Zonka the good 56'r Jim Tested.
Mike Hooper is running his Mod 60 motor.
Mike Cory is in the same heat.
Jake Elsey in the same heat
Rick Cole is in the same heat.
Jim Whittington is in the same heat with his Yamaha same boat as last year.

THE RESULT IN TWO HEATS IS THE SAME
Hooper wins easy.
Second and third is a close battle
Cory is second
Zonka third

Jake four

Almost 1/2 a lap behind
Jim five
Rick sixth.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Wonder what galaxy you're in that Cory and Zonka got around me...:)

I agree on being proactive but unless this exact situation plays out EVERY race there is nothing to worry about. If we all meet weight and the 160lb compression rule....lets race. WE ALL know how much more to this deal there is than out right power....first you actually have to SHOW UP, then your stuff has to run, then you have to nail the start, not get caught up in Critchfields hooking into the infield, Wakes!!, wayward Deltas with too much motor....on and on. If you've got your shit together you'll do well...but it's tough to do over and over again. Jim's got way more seat time than the rest of us so we can expect him to run out front more often...some of the guys are getting close....but I think we're far from being dominated by anyone.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 4:57 pm   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
Rick sixth.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

Sounds about right :mrgreen:
Those anti lapping devices (AGLD) are heavy but at least he wont be getting lapped

Profile Send private message WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next