It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 9:17 pm

T850 Engine Rule "SUGGESTIONS" for 2013

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 PostPosted: January 15th, 2013, 4:25 pm   
Team Member

The CBF Convention is coming in February 2013. That is the only time and place where the rules can be changed.

Here are some suggestions made by a number of current T850 Racers.

I welcome your suggestions and comments:

T-850 2013 Engine Rules Change Suggestions for ALL Motors

- Any single motor combination or mixed brand combination of power head / mid / lower unit / power trim that ends up with a reasonable facsimile of a 75 HP short shaft outboard.

- Any make fully shift able [with reverse] gear case, with 1.64 – 2.42:1 ratio.

- Any custom built replacement parts that are to facilitate building such engines without the intent of increasing HP, but with the intent to prolong the engines life

- Lightened flywheels allowed

- Ported and blueprinting blocks allowed

- Finger porting allowed

- Any carb with max venture ID of 1-1/4”

- Velocity stacks allowed,

- Any exhaust megaphone configuration, but kept within midshaft housing. No expansion chambers.

- 60 ci max displacement power heads

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 7:55 am   
Team Member

We have had 35 views so far and no replies. The T850 Group that wants these changes should go ahead make up their proposal and present it to the CBF Board and its members at the conference in February.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 8:27 am   
Team Member

My "stock" SST 60 gearcase does not have reverse. Not sure why reverse gear would be mandatory?

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 9:28 am   
Team Member

Dougw wrote:

My "stock" SST 60 gearcase does not have reverse. Not sure why reverse gear would be mandatory?

Agreed. I have never used my reverse yet in the two years I've ran my boat whether it was at the races or at the lake. Now that Dok guy he loves reverse.

I'm good with all the other proposals people have brought forth. Finger porting might create a barrier to new guys trying to get into the class as that's good $ to be spent at the machine shop. I just hope people are bright enough to spend there money on good props and set up versus spending all there money on tweaking a motor to get every 1/2 hp out of it. Dok and Hydroid proved at Dunnville you don't have to have the fastest boats to win or finish well. You need a good start, competitive boat and biggest thing know how to drive a boat on a race course (not the lake).

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 10:07 am   
Team Member

Dougw wrote:

Sorry Doug, but a stock legal SST 60 gear case does have reverse. That being said. If you want to change the rule just add it to the proposal. These changes make the class Mod anyway. With the Mods the horsepower level will be increased from the current 75-80 hp to 100-110 hp and that increase will put more stress on the gear case.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 10:44 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
Dougw wrote:

Sorry Doug, but a stock legal SST 60 gear case does have reverse. That being said. If you want to change the rule just add it to the proposal. These changes make the class Mod anyway. With the Mods the horsepower level will be increased from the current 75-80 hp to 100-110 hp and that increase will put more stress on the gear case.

My boat (motor) never had reverse when I purchased it. I will have to confirm with Paul @ TG why my case didn't have reverse then?

12' tinny - 9.9 merc

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 11:04 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Dougw wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
Dougw wrote:

My boat (motor) never had reverse when I purchased it. I will have to confirm with Paul @ TG why my case didn't have reverse then?

Some have been locked in forward...saves the weight of a shifter and cable or guys machine the teeth off of the reverse gear to save the drag. I believe the spirit if the rule is to eliminate the use of quickie style lowers not so much the actual shifting of the gearcase. LC is right...I like having reverse....I'm WAY faster off the trailer then he is and that bothers him :).

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 11:10 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:

I like having reverse....I'm WAY faster off the trailer then he is and that bothers him :).

Don't worry I got you covered this year, I have ported and blue printed my paddle so expecting a couple more mph off the trailer! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 11:19 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

I THINK .... Now we all know Jamescole theory should be the rules and general regulations of todays society... but for some reason there not....

here is my version

- Any single motor combination or mixed brand combination of power head / mid / lower unit / power trim that ends up with a reasonable facsimile of a 75 HP to 150XR4 (AKA no fuking limit) HP short shaft outboard.

- Any make fully shift able OR not [with reverse] gear case, with 1.64 – 2.42:1 ratio.

- Any custom built replacement parts that are to facilitate building such engines with the intent of increasing HP, but with the intent to shorten the engines life

- Super Lightened flywheels allowed

- Super Ported behind the liner and blueprinting blocks allowed

- Finger porting allowed

- Any carb with max venture ID of whatever

- Velocity stacks allowed and Nitrous Oxide up to a 200 shot

- Any exhaust megaphone configuration, but kept within 6feet of the back of the boat. expansion chambers.

- no limit displacement power heads

lets get back to the 80's when shit was cool....

PostPosted: January 16th, 2013, 12:31 pm   
Team Member

OneCycle wrote:
I THINK .... Now we all know Jamescole theory should be the rules and general regulations of todays society... but for some reason there not....

here is my version

- Any single motor combination or mixed brand combination of power head / mid / lower unit / power trim that ends up with a reasonable facsimile of a 75 HP to 150XR4 (AKA no fuking limit) HP short shaft outboard.

- Any make fully shift able OR not [with reverse] gear case, with 1.64 – 2.42:1 ratio.

- Any custom built replacement parts that are to facilitate building such engines with the intent of increasing HP, but with the intent to shorten the engines life

- Super Lightened flywheels allowed

- Super Ported behind the liner and blueprinting blocks allowed

- Finger porting allowed

- Any carb with max venture ID of whatever

- Velocity stacks allowed and Nitrous Oxide up to a 200 shot

- Any exhaust megaphone configuration, but kept within 6feet of the back of the boat. expansion chambers.

- no limit displacement power heads

lets get back to the 80's when shit was cool....

You need to focus on getting a boat to the race course! lol Your getting as bad as hook :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next