It is currently May 5th, 2024, 10:54 pm

T850

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 7:11 pm   
Team Member

The Merc 15 is actually not sold in Canada or USA to the public in fishing form. Mercury releases to APBA directly for racing (they are still sold overseas as I understand it in fishing versions.) Then BTM and Sidewinder supply the racing parts and it is sold as a complete package for racing from APBA. The 15 Mercs you see at our races were made this way. You can also buy the racing kit to convert a 15 Merc you might already own... $600 or so for the kit, and $1200 or so for racing foot.

Sidewinder makes 5 different motors for racing in Stock and Modified I believe.

My question: New Yamaha Pro50's? Link/pricing please!

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 7:17 pm   
Team Member

To add... all these motors are competitive and winning in USA. Boat racers are not running out to buy them because the factory deals are dead. They are use to paying $1000-$2000 for a complete race motor new becuase of factory racer discounts. All these motors are now made by small companies and discounts are gone. They are paying regular prices... $4000-$6000. And boat racers are generally thrifty... haha. Except the Yamato classes... that you can get new for about $2400 (30 hp). It is the most popular motor in Canada and the USA.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 7:33 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/index.php?group=O

They had them a TIBS last year....

I still sell Merc 9.9 and 15 2 strokes...I didn't realize there where quickie's readily available. That's very cool.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 7:51 pm   
Team Member

Ah ok. I had 15" in my head.

Yup, quickie's ready to ship. www.racingoutboards.com

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 7:58 pm   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:

I still sell Merc 9.9 and 15 2 strokes...I didn't realize there where quickie's readily available. That's very cool.

they will not be bringing them into Canada or the states anymore as far as i am aware they are all old stock, scoop them up while you can, we are usually 2 years behind the us on the emission laws

http://thundercatracingna.com/

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 8:03 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

hcdcanada wrote:
DoktorC wrote:

they will not be bringing them into Canada or the states anymore as far as i am aware they are all old stock, scoop them up while you can, we are usually 2 years behind the us on the emission laws

There's no more in the states but we've still been able to get them...but you're right 2strokes are dead long term.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 10:53 pm   
Team Member

My Opinion only...

Currently it is near impossible to get any of the racing outboard gear cases for the mercs or omcs to canada (or anywhere for that matter). I would not tell a new racer they are available because they simply aren't at this point, try to buy one... The sidewinder in my opinion is not a motor we should be promoting in Canada. What we need is to look to the future and learn to promote green motors.

2 strokes are not dead, BRP is making 2 stroke etec motors that are cleaner to operate than 4 stroke engines, and when the market sees fit they will release a small displacement version which will be light, guaranteed. Besides that there are plenty of new light four strokes available, even BRP and Tohatsu, yamaha, have great light 15hp 4 strokes. True story!!! They sound cool too.

Our motors are good for now and the foreseeable future, but we need to look ahead. Yamatos are great and readily available hence their success. In my opinion you can not buy many "new" race engines, it would be great to say the merc was a good choice.... but for here in canada, its not, why add another class, run an omc or go with a yamato. Lots of both available. I'd hate to see someone new end up with a motor that doesn't fit the classes we want to promote. Cheers.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 8:42 am   
HPBC PRESIDENT

CCI wrote:

2 strokes are not dead, BRP is making 2 stroke etec motors that are cleaner to operate than 4 stroke engines, and when the market sees fit they will release a small displacement version which will be light, guaranteed.

BRP is helping kill the 2-stroke by continually building engines that simply do not last. I know they make some models that live...but EVERY V6 etec you see has a new powerhead. Merc isn't helping with $200/10L of Opti oil either...and Yamaha just gave up. It's sad...but true.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 9:24 am   
Team Member

I'm not going to get into a discussion about how awesome yamaha is and how everyone else sucks, but brp and merc are both building great 2 stroke engines that speak not only on the race course, but everywhere else on water and in brp's case snow as well. Yamaha makes amazing motors, just not that exciting...boorrrinnngg. Hundreds of thousands of etec motors are proven reliable btw ;) Sometimes it takes some F ups to move forward with something groundbreaking, much more difficult than just taking the easy road of using proven/old tech like (yamaha)... ;) Cheers.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2012, 9:37 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
CCI wrote:

2 strokes are not dead, BRP is making 2 stroke etec motors that are cleaner to operate than 4 stroke engines, and when the market sees fit they will release a small displacement version which will be light, guaranteed.

BRP is helping kill the 2-stroke by continually building engines that simply do not last. I know they make some models that live...but EVERY V6 etec you see has a new powerhead. Merc isn't helping with $200/10L of Opti oil either...and Yamaha just gave up. It's sad...but true.... :mrgreen:

OEMs and there oil lol buy some Lucas off Top Gun and keep some money in your pocket what i don't understand (on new power) is if there engine management system is working properly and thier oil is as good as they say how do they have failures? , I'm not sure what tohatsu's long term plan is on there 2 strokes currently its 40-115hp, in 2006 they have stopped bringing in their carb motor but they seem to be behind the direct inject technology 40-115hp, the biggest issue is getting stock short mids (we still make a 50hp in the 15inch mid but that's the highest hp we go ), its a numbers game all the boat manufactures (recreational they guys that buy new stuff lol) have gone to higher transom to compensate for the weight of the new 4 strokes, i guess all is well until California decides to bring in new emission laws.

http://thundercatracingna.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next