It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 1:14 am

T School Winter of 2012 - 2013

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 10:07 am   
Team Member

SOME LeMans start heats in T Class in 2013

This as another addition to T Class hopefully in 2013 at Gravenhurst and Dunnville. I need to present the idea to TORC for approval, but I think they will approve the idea. Under Stock Outboard rules we can have LeMans starts.

When we have 2 or more T groups slotted in the days race program at the same time. The T heats will run in this format to save time and add more fan interest and added fun for the T racers.

Here is the plan.
Heat 1A goes on the course and races their normal clock start and race. After their heat they go to the dock and line up for a LeMans start in their position the racer had drawn at the driver's meeting.

Heat 1B goes on the course and races their normal clock start. Afterward they move off course near the dock and shut down.

Heat 2A is now ready to go. Two flags are raised by the turn boat ...white and green. When they are both raised, the racers can start their motors in neutral. Once confirmed that all have started and the motors are warm [30 seconds of running] the white flag drops. That means racers shut off their motor, put it in gear and prepare for the start. The green flag will drop to start the race ANY time from 10 seconds to 30 seconds after the white has come down.

Heat 2B moves to the start dock and lines up after Heat 2A leaves. We will use the same dock support people for both heats. After Heat 2A finishes they shutdown in the middle of the course. The white and green will go up and Heat 2B goes thru the same start process. After Heat 2B finishes all boats go to pits.

This will save a lot of time and make the T Class part of the program even better for fans, organizers, sponsors and racers.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 10:43 am   
Team Member

Some sites suit Lemans, some dont... unless you bring your own docks. We couldn't find the space to line 5 thundercats up evenly at Dunnville... I don't know where you would fit 12 T boats. Thundercats decided to do a rolling flag start. Dunnville the shore is too uneven, let alone nasty, to line them up along shore. But to each their own, I pitty your pit crews and possibly props, haha.

Waterford/Gravenhurst/Erinsville it would work good since they all have beach area more or less.

After doing a few lemans starts, I believe they take more time than a clock. Especially with big numbers. Lining up everyone even in a random order takes a lot of time. A clock from green to go is about 4 minutes, likely less since for the second heat all your boats are floating and waiting in the course already... it's just waiting for the scorers to get setup for a second heat.

Lemans starts are cowd pleasing for sure though.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 10:57 am   
Team Member

I think we can make it work if the site works. The big time saver with this plan . The boats are setting up at the dock while the other heat is racing. They would be ready as soon as the scorers are.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 12:15 pm   
Team Member

The lemans start is the best part of boat racing, Like combining drag and oval for T! I was a little disappointed when I found out about the clock start, it's almost like offshore without a pace boat, the difference being offshore you've got 100 miles to make up a little gap at the start pole! I'm all in for lemans on all heats!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 12:49 pm   
Team Member

That sounds great! Sign me up!! 8-)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 1:33 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

SHIVERS wrote:
The lemans start is the best part of boat racing, Like combining drag and oval for T! I was a little disappointed when I found out about the clock start, it's almost like offshore without a pace boat, the difference being offshore you've got 100 miles to make up a little gap at the start pole! I'm all in for lemans on all heats!

I'm with you there. I was a little disappointed to find out it had changed to a clock start from the Lemans start they used to have. At the same time, I'm just happy that there are races now. Even having a pace boat like a pace car might be interesting too? I know the clock start is a skill to master on it's own and lot's of people like it, but it doesn't really do it for me. Whatever it's going to be though, I'll just be happy to race and run my stuff!

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 5:14 pm   
Team Member

Here's one for the governors!the clock start requires a rookie to start behind the other boats! being a rookie in lemans means you start -where? number drawn,inside,outside or coarse layout factor?

PostPosted: January 28th, 2013, 9:27 am   
Team Member

I have been waiting for the Rule changes to be finalized before answering any motor questions about T850. The T750 rules are unchanged so far and there is no need to talk about them. The common T850 question is the spec heads for the OMC's. Bryan will have all that information in lots of time for you to purchase a spec head, have your current one cut or get the measurement to do your own. Don't assume that your current head is OK. best to check with Bryan. It is best to be under the 160 compression and not exactly at 160. With running carbon will build up on the piston dome and change the compression. With a spec head this will not be a problem. If? you did exceed the 160 by a few lbs. There would be no DQ.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2013, 10:01 am   
Team Member

Hounddog wrote:
If? you did exceed the 160 by a few lbs. There would be no DQ.

My 2 cents here:
DQ or not DQ'd is up to the inspector, not the class, unless written in the rules... I've been tossed for being 0.2 pounds under weight. Obviously not a performance concern. I had no issue with that though, the rules say the number, I was under it. If you let someone go with 3 lbs over on compression, next persons say 4 lbs is ok, next person say 5 is ok, it's only one more than 4! When do you draw the line and who eventually gets screwed? Let the officials have an easy job and take feelings and friendships and such out of the decision. 160 lbs is 160 lbs. The officials gauge is the one that matters, every has the option to ask the official to test their engine priot to getting on the water. I would add to your rule if it does not have it... compression test is "X" number of pulls. ie 3 cranks for 2 seconds each, or whatever suits. So eveyone is tested the same.

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: January 28th, 2013, 11:11 am   
Team Member

Andrew4ce wrote:
Hounddog wrote:
If? you did exceed the 160 by a few lbs. There would be no DQ.

My 2 cents here:
DQ or not DQ'd is up to the inspector, not the class, unless written in the rules... I've been tossed for being 0.2 pounds under weight. Obviously not a performance concern. I had no issue with that though, the rules say the number, I was under it. If you let someone go with 3 lbs over on compression, next persons say 4 lbs is ok, next person say 5 is ok, it's only one more than 4! When do you draw the line and who eventually gets screwed? Let the officials have an easy job and take feelings and friendships and such out of the decision. 160 lbs is 160 lbs. The officials gauge is the one that matters, every has the option to ask the official to test their engine priot to getting on the water. I would add to your rule if it does not have it... compression test is "X" number of pulls. ie 3 cranks for 2 seconds each, or whatever suits. So eveyone is tested the same.

Agreed 100%. Have your head dialed in <160PSI, allow for carbon buildup.
Gig(head builder) & TG(inspector) to establish & possess T calibration gauge, make available. It's in Gig's best interest to dial heads <160 to prevent DQ. Plenty of oppty til June for racers to borrow gauge, visit shop for reading.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next