It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:50 am

A COUPLE OF SUGGESTIONS FOR T750 and T850 CLASSES

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 11:31 am   
Team Member

I am going to expand on some of the suggestions I have made before because of the boats we are currently seeing in the area.
CURRENT STATE OF T850:
We have some entries in OPBRA events and non in TORC.
Most lake runners are no longer competitive.
We have too large a difference in speed.
MOST!! want the class to be slowed back to the original 68 to 71 mph, which makes MORE boats competitive.
The problem is the mod Bridgeport 56 OMC fishing motors.
Going back to the ORIGINAL idea regarding the 56 bridgeport OMC is the solution.
The SST 60 spec sheets can be matched, but, you must use a larger CC head to produce 160 lbs compression instead of normal SST 60 180 lbs compression
We only need to have a spec head instead of the 160 compression rule.....that spec head would be 31 to 31.5 cc because we know that head produces 160 lbs compression on a pure SST 60.
So the rule change would mean you had to run the 31 to 31.5 CC head regardless of the compression you got.
The rules state you must run the original carbs, so the oval port must run its original carbs. That has always been in the rules for all motors.
You can change the jetting, but, in the case of the 56 bridgeport you cannot run a jet larger than the LARGEST jet listed in the SST60 parts book.
THAT IS A 73D!!......THE YARDSTICK FOR THE 56 bridgeport has ALWAYS been a de-tuned SST 60 producing approximately 80 hp at the prop.
COMMON SENSE TELLS YOU THAT IF YOUR MOTOR HAS A SMALLER CC HEAD THAN AN SST60, runs on RACE gas only and has a 76D or larger main jet......THAT MOTOR NEVER!! WAS LEGAL!!.
So mod guys likely only need to change the head, main jets and timing.
If you need a different powerhead.....you will not need a super one to be competitive and legal.
The more boats in the heat.....the more fun racing.

CURRENT T750
We are starting to see some new boats.
There are many 51 to 55 mph pure production model boats around.
These are the pure stock 50 hp VooDoo, critchfield and delta boats.
With new Deltas in the works, we could have these type boats as a sub-T750 class.
Separate points and hopefully get some new racers.

T Class could have 3 low cost combo boats for new people to race.
These would be old 14 foot V hulls like Checkmates, Kennedy etc with old 49 OMCs.
Somewhat like a VP75.
New people use the boats as turn boats during the event. So they learn what goes on at an event.
They can race in T750.
They pay a flat weekend fee for the event which includes using the boat.
Safety gear is provided.

Last edited by Hounddog on August 22nd, 2019, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 2:37 pm   

Hi Don, you are correct in stating T-850 is totally dead in TORC. No matter what we do, there are some individuals that just won't race with TORC. T-750 is alive and doing fairly well. Lack of participation is only due to personal commitments like weddings and graduations etc. I missed my favorite race @ Haliburton due to my grandson's graduation. Had I come, we would have made a class. I believe Tom Schnull also had a commitment. That said, we still need additional boats in T-750. We have (5) that will race TORC. The OPBRA race sites are always very bad water conditions thus far. What we need are more TORC sites in that we have lost half of the prior race sites, namely Dunnville & Waterford. As luck would have it, the two closest races for us. Not too many people want to commit to setting up their boat for T-750 to go to two races a year.

I agree 100% as to your rule suggestions on cylinder head and compression. Actually, the jet size says it all. T-850 would benefit from those changes, however we still need more race sites. Again, who is going to commit to setting up a T-850 for two races a year. As I said above, OPBRA race sites are very rough water. Other than Peterborough, the other sites are open water that gets very rough with minimal wind. OPBRA is considering a race behind the Toronto breakwall, but trust me when I say that water will still get very rough with right wind direction. I know because we have a 5 mile long breakwall in Cleveland, Ohio. Get two more TORC race sites within reach, change T-850 rules and we will be " off to the races".

Just my thoughts from listening to some of the racers.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 3:22 pm   

A few comments/thoughts that come to mind at this time:

- Just from chatting with folks, sounds like experienced T850 drivers are helping the new T850 drivers with setup and motor tuning. This is great. It shows that there is a sense of community which is very healthy, and that people will likely collaborate well when coming up with the official tech rules once that gets underway. Similarly, I find that the TORC T750 community is strong and inviting, and that's part of what makes coming out to races so enjoyable.

- I'm seeing enthusiasm from a few new T-boat drivers and I hope that this will continue. One will be likely joining T750 for the first time in Peterborough. I'd like to mention ( again :) ) that Halliburton is a great venue and not too far for drivers who live near the Kawarthas, Peterborough, and Muskoka. Even if you are not interested in TORC points, it is good racing practice. I understand not everyone has the time and resources for both TORC and OPBRA for the whole summer, but honestly, Gull Lake, Halliburton, (and Waterford) are excellent venues and race courses. Peterborough too.

- I know one potential T750 driver is looking for a project hull for his motor. Are there any projects out there for a low cost? Delta, Voodoo, Critch.. Also, do any owners need a driver?

- I personally have the attitude of simply wanting to improve at every race, and from year to year. It takes time to get up to winners' speed and driving skill. It is rare to find that magic prop right away, and engine tuning knowledge doesn't all come at once in a large lump sum right at the beginning of participation. If drivers are looking for a way to have fun in this technical hobby, where gaining knowledge and skill take priority over taking first place every time, then this type of racing and community is for you. There are good people at the races so the hangout is great too!

Don, your comment "Safety gear is provided" would go a long way, I think. Maybe clubs should invest in two loaner full cut suits with jackets.

Thom, your dedication to coming out to run T750 is amazing. It is a LONG drive for you!!

1980 Thundercraft v142 Restored

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 6:23 pm   

Thanks Matt. I enjoy the people as much or more than the racing. Your correct, in that it is a community of racers helping one another. See you at Peterborough.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2019, 7:16 pm   

Think about where you draw new racers from. I would imagine new racers would be more likely to come through TORC, stock outboarders circle race to begin with. Maybe a drivers school could be an option. There was also a post on hydroracer awhile back of guys in region 6 thinking of starting a class that sounded an awful lot like our T Boat classes. I also believe they were talking about doing marathon racing also. Think about the exposure you could get if you were to get in on the Marathon Nationals at Indian River. Another race over in Michigan that I think is going to be big moving forward in the Fireside 500 that started this year. I also wonder if there would be region 2 guys in the US interested in starting up T Boat classes. Seems to me you see more people (spectators) at circle races versus drag races in regards to boats, which could also be a product of the venue. Things to think about moving forward.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2019, 11:10 pm   
Team Member

[QUOTE: T Class could have 3 low cost combo boats for new people to race.
These would be old 14 foot V hulls like Checkmates, Kennedy etc with old 49 OMCs.
Somewhat like a VP75.
New people use the boats as turn boats during the event. So they learn what goes on at an event.
They can race in T750.
Safety gear is provided.]

This is an example of what I was thinking:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motor ... nFlag=true
Maybe have a sponsor for each boat with their name on it and a team to work on them as a learning project. In this case we would change the motor to a 70 hp.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2019, 11:17 pm   
Team Member

[QUOTE: T Class could have 3 low cost combo boats for new people to race.
Somewhat like a VP75.
They can race in T750.
Safety gear is provided.]

There was another person who like the idea of the 3 weekend rental boats . So happens there are 3 similar sidewinders up for sale......even the same colour combos.

It would be nice to see these at the races.... 3 matching boats with the same motor.....the problem is the cost ...and the time in labour it would take to get them there.