It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:53 am

T School...Winter 2016.....PROP SELECTION

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 1:16 am   
Team Member

When the water gets rough the T boat takes a real pounding. The trick is to get the boat to fly I little bit higher in the nose and high in the stern. It is called prop riding. The boat carries over the rough water on its prop and it is only the stern that hits if at all. It is a very uncomfortable feeling driving the boat because it feels like the boat is going to blow over. Once you get the boat running at this angle the driver has to keep on the throttle. It is not over trimming the boat that gets it on this angle. It is speed, boat balance and the PROP. It is the wedge in the cleaver prop that lifts the stern. You need to find the prop that will lift the stern on your boat and the boat needs to be balanced a little nose heavy. The angle is similar to a Alpine ski jumper. The boat is floating. I mentioned Rusty in T850. Rusty is comfortable running the boat at that angle. He runs too much positive trim to get there and the result is he cannot stay in the throttle for the complete straight. A change in boat balance and he will be fine.
Jesse showed a good example at Halibution in 2016 coming from away back to win on the last lap. For them I think it happen because of testing, increased speed and an improved prop. Plus LC and Jesse push one another.
Jim Whittington was very good at running at this angle. He practiced a lot. He found it more difficult to get the boat up on the correct angle on dead calm water. Once he got it hung out, he could hold it there for 30 to 60 seconds.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 4:41 am   
Team Member

PROP RIDING
Here is a normal T850 race in rough water.
You will notice that the drivers use more negative trim as they run more laps.
It is a good race but it is a parade after a couple of laps.
Notice the speed of the boats on the last lap and the speed thru the last turn of the race.
I am guessing but I think these boats are running mid 60's after lap 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxprHWqx1_A

Here is another T850 race in rough water
It is a race between 2 boats. They are lapping the field.
The other boats are trimmed in, while the two lead boats are pushing.
They are trimmed out.
Jim makes his first try to pass on the back straight, but cannot complete the pass.
Notice his speed thru the top turn and his exit speed.
On the pass at the next turn he goes deeper into the turn, flies the boat behind Rob and then sets it down.
He is carrying so much speed in that turn after the pass that he almost rolls the boat on exit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igE9KQEjqI4

In the second heat on this video is another race. It is a good example of prop riding

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 5:40 pm   

those are great examples!
helps to have the video