It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 9:14 am

View from the shore Gravenhurst 2012...Good Show!

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 8:29 am   
Team Member

Saturday
We ran two heats. 5 boats in each heat.
Interesting happenings.
THE STARTS
YEP!! Some of you guys were terrible on Saturday.
Some were excellent. The start is key to getting a good finishing position.
The water conditions after lap 2 even out performance.
Dave with his Allison got a great start in the first heat and Todd was the only one to run him down after several laps.
Riley with a $100.00 powerhead got a great start in the second heat and finished second.
Top Gun showed his experience not only with good starts every heat but also in driving.
He and Todd were able to drive deeper into the corners and gain positions even though
they did not have the inside lane.
The newer racers will soon learn to watch where these guys are positioned behind them
entering the turn. Cutting the corner on the inside looses speed and you will hook if you try to set the boat to hard.
A wider line is faster. It is all about handling the pressure.

Sunday..Everyone was in the same heat.
It was an air show. Lots of racing in the pack.
Jake was on his game and drove a great race. Top Gun was playing cat and mouse with Jake and pushed him to the limit.
After 3 laps those two boats were half a lap ahead of the field.
Bryan G got some got starts and was able to move up thru the pack.
Zonka ran better on Sunday.
Little Charger and DOC battled in the pack.
THE GUN has the edge so far!
Most important..no flips, no damage and BIG SMILES!

I know I didn't mention the McDonalds VooDoo on Saturday. I am sure there is a video. WHAT A RIDE!

Last edited by Hounddog on June 25th, 2012, 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 8:47 am   
Team Member

Good review Don!! I have to say I had an amazing time Saturday! I can't say enough about what a great bunch of guys we race with! How many T boats were in one heat on Sunday?? ... and can somebody please post some pics or video?? 8-)
Dave.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 9:55 am   
Team Member

T-boats are the mod-vp of years ago. People can relate to them......and they are a BALL to watch.
Great racing!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 9:59 am   
Team Member

just want to thank the torc. members/volunteers for all the help getting me through my first cbf/torc race! Whittington,s/Elsey's for the help with the required gear and instruction!Patti E. for the help at the dock[priceless]!Paul and the other racers for the advice and direction to get me through! I know a hell of a lot more than I did Sat. morning about circle track racing and the procedures!and another thanks to the Elsey's for letting my Elderly friends get some shade under the tent!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 10:19 am   
Team Member

SHIVERS wrote:
just want to thank the torc. members/volunteers for all the help getting me through my first cbf/torc race! Whittington,s/Elsey's for the help with the required gear and instruction!Patti E. for the help at the dock[priceless]!Paul and the other racers for the advice and direction to get me through! I know a hell of a lot more than I did Sat. morning about circle track racing and the procedures!and another thanks to the Elsey's for letting my Elderly friends get some shade under the tent!

SHIVERS, It was good to add you to the group. We can talk and post all day about the difference between a Lake Racing Boat and an Oval Race Boat. It is only when you get out on the race course and experience a race that you get the education first hand. I hope there is a video of you racing on Saturday. It would be nice to compare the difference after you make the changes to the boat and get some more experience. There is no question that boat with a correct set-up would be competitive.
Welcome to T Class.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 7:25 pm   
Team Member

I watched from shore on Saturday afternoon and it was a good show. Shivers boat ran like my old Voo Doo, very wild in a straight line. I can't imagine how he got through the corners. How much of it is engine height? His motor looked low to my untrained eye.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 7:51 pm   
Team Member

David wrote:
I watched from shore on Saturday afternoon and it was a good show. Shivers boat ran like my old Voo Doo, very wild in a straight line. I can't imagine how he got through the corners. How much of it is engine height? His motor looked low to my untrained eye.

David, first off the water conditions when your running that far behind are unreal. The waves come from every angle and you cannot find any open water that is smooth. The boat never settles down, so you are in a constant state of sawing on the wheel trying to get the boat to go straight. You can never stay in the throttle, so it is a no win situation. Motor height is not going to solve the problem. Tyler ran a similar set-up on his VooDoo. The only change was to the nitro foot. Change the head, change the foot and change to pulley steering and that boat is very competitive. With the 24 inch transom. he doesn't need a short shaft. Same would be true is you ran a 70 long shaft Yamaha. Just change to the smaller foot which bolts right on and it is good to go.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 8:51 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

This truly is a great bunch of guys. We had to sit through a rain delay and even then Top Gun was giving me advice on how to start with the new clock :). In my eyes the racing was good and close...there was always a battle...not just a line of us going in circles. After the race we were all soaked, the boats were FULL of water and everyone was grinning. You can't ask for more!

I also should mention that the class did step up and played a big role in tear-down (I wasn't around for setup so I only can report about what I saw)...Littlecharger in particular did a ton of work and more importantly got a bunch of us focused and helping.

Thanks again Don for the use of the sleeves!

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 11:11 pm   
Team Member

David wrote:
your untrained eye is 20/20,my engine is about 1.5" low,but as high as my blocks will allow! Don, I never let the throttle off the lake bottom all but one back stretch pass for a gust of wind!

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 8:10 am   
Team Member

DoktorC wrote:
I also should mention that the class did step up and played a big role in tear-down (I wasn't around for setup so I only can report about what I saw)...Littlecharger in particular did a ton of work and more importantly got a bunch of us focused and helping.

I'd just like to say I too noticed T's jump in at the end in a big way. Thanks to all the people who hung around after and cleaned up and tore down. It's stuff like this that leaves all the people who work so hard to get the ground work done leaving the weekend with a good feeling and pumped to do it all again next time.

Profile Send private message WWW