It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 9:04 am

Scoring for T-boats

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 11:59 am   
Drag Racing Sponsor

In Jason's case, I can see the weight issue being a problem because he is a heavy driver (I didn't say fat lol) with a light boat, but most boats are overweight in the class. No one wants to weigh them anyway. I am that guy that makes it out to every race though and I'm the one suggesting it. I missed one race in 3 seasons this year at Waterford. I had best man duties for a wedding that weekend. Pretty hard to get out of that. I know there isn't anyone who has made it to every race in T850 over the last 3 years. As it is right now, hardly anyone makes it to every race, but if there was something on the line, even if it's something as stupid as points, they may find another driver which means MORE BOATS and a closer points race. For instance - I show up at every race, I don't race worth a shit, my equipment is not set up right or running right but I get a couple decent finishes and luck out on a couple starts because a bunch of people jumped. Now I'm the points leader for the year by a mile because the guys that were good only made it to 2 races. Is it really going to be that gratifying to be the points champ? I don't think so. If someone wants to hire a pro to race their boat all season, I could care less but I'm pretty sure most people didn't buy these boats to put someone else behind the wheel all season though. They're way too fun for that. If Don gets a boat out to 3 of 4 weekends and puts a different guy behind the wheel for every heat, I feel points should be awarded to that boat # or his team name or boat name or whatever. If I want to let a racer from another class give my boat a try for a heat to get him hooked, then it makes sense to me that my boat would collect the points for that race instead of adding their name to the point standing. If you want to see your name on the trophy, just use your name for the boat name. It's just something I had been thinking about and talking to others about that seemed to feel the same way so I thought it was worth bringing up. It won't break my heart if it stays the way it is.

Kevin

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 10:06 am   
TORC VP

Kev

I see both sides to this I do. I just thought I should point out the other side so I will continue. I full agree that we should allow for people to try T class. but I don't think anyone's first time in one of these boats should ever come on the race course. I would love to encourage more boats to run. I don't agree with your comment on showing up with a boat not running right and not set up and only getting points because the good guys jumped...... If you Jump the start you fucked up, and are out of the race to so the guy that raced fair gets the points. I hate it when guys show up and jump just to try and run out front in clean water. If you showed up all year with a crap boat and finished consistently and get high points you get high points. Racing is not about the boat it is about the driver, What is your solution if my boat breaks down and I have to borrow one? Do I not get the points because the boat is being awarded them? I made every effort to get my ass to the race and run! I know I will never make every race each year and I am fine with that, but the guy that takes time out of his life to get to every race and run, shouldn't be penalized because I couldn't show up but my boat did and someone else beat him with my boat.

At the end of the day we are racing to have fun and for a sticker and a t shirt at the end of the year.

If you want to win the high points champs commit to running every race simple as that.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 1:30 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Himagain wrote:
Kev

I see both sides to this I do. I just thought I should point out the other side so I will continue. I full agree that we should allow for people to try T class. but I don't think anyone's first time in one of these boats should ever come on the race course. I would love to encourage more boats to run. I don't agree with your comment on showing up with a boat not running right and not set up and only getting points because the good guys jumped...... If you Jump the start you fucked up, and are out of the race to so the guy that raced fair gets the points. I hate it when guys show up and jump just to try and run out front in clean water. If you showed up all year with a crap boat and finished consistently and get high points you get high points. Racing is not about the boat it is about the driver, What is your solution if my boat breaks down and I have to borrow one? Do I not get the points because the boat is being awarded them? I made every effort to get my ass to the race and run! I know I will never make every race each year and I am fine with that, but the guy that takes time out of his life to get to every race and run, shouldn't be penalized because I couldn't show up but my boat did and someone else beat him with my boat.

At the end of the day we are racing to have fun and for a sticker and a t shirt at the end of the year.

If you want to win the high points champs commit to running every race simple as that.

That's why I started the topic was to get everyone's thoughts so feel free to find the problems in it. You may not agree with my comments there but what I wrote was basically my 2014 season. I was the points champ. I spent most of the season finding all the different ways to melt pistons right before the race rather than spending time getting the boat and motor dialed in. I even went for a swim at G-hurst. I had a couple good races, I had a couple races where a lot of people jumped and I got lucky. Being the points champ because I was the only one to make it to every race really wasn't that gratifying knowing I pretty much sucked most of the season. I didn't want to put the points champ sticker on my boat. Maybe I'm just too negative and I should give myself a little more credit. If you put an entry in the race as Jason Famme Racing or W.B. White racing, then you can have the option to put another driver in if you can't make it or run a spare boat if yours broke and you happen to have one. You might just have to duck tape the proper numbers on it for scoring. The guy that's taking the time out of his life to make it to every race is not getting penalized at all. His points remain the same, but others who take the time out of their life to make sure they have a boat entered in the race even though they are unable to able to make it themselves are better rewarded which they should be because they are making the race more interesting and in some cases they could be the deciding factor in whether the race even happens if there is not enough entries. Like you said though, in the end it's all about having fun and getting that sticker and T-shirt.

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 2:25 pm   
Team Member

I just want to make a couple of points. This is from an old racer and father of a son who raced. I am sure there are several on the site that feel the same way.
First, feeling guilty about winning. If you put the effort in to win, you will always get the respect from your fellow racers. It does not matter if luck was part of the win. The only time you should feel guilty is if you win and you know you were illegal. That guilt may surface years later. When people look at the record book in later years they only see the winners name and they do not know how or why that person won nor do they care.
Secondly, racing for fun! It can and is different for every racer. For some it does not matter the level of racing or the fact that the race is for a T shirt and sticker. They are there to win! They spend time, money and offer support to fellow racers. They love competition and the better the competition the better they feel when they win! There are people that are there just to enjoy the event. It will always be a mixed group in club racing.
Points and how they are awarded? I think we will always have two different views at this level.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 2:49 pm   
TORC VP

Well Said Don........ this is a good discussion. Kev I am on the fence about the whole thing, I just like putting out opposite views for discussion. The only way to do it would be to have a Team award and an individual driver award..... That Way I could whore myself out as a driver at ever race!!!