It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:59 am

T STUFF

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 1:18 pm   
Team Member

TOP GUN
Paul is working on several projects for people. Remember THE CRITCHFIELD MOLDS are sold so if you THINK you will need a boat in the future, you best get one on order. For $3500.00 plus tax you will not get a better deal !!!! Paul does have a used Critchfield ready to race for sale as well.

Yamahas in T850
DOC is refreshing his motor and asking Santa for 6 mph.

49 OMCs
Likely not see them in T850.

Mercury 60 hp short stroke
I currently have the motor mounted on the Rapid Craft. I and everyone else I show the picture to, don't think I should cut the cell out. The boat is too nice to ruin. So I am looking at options. Easiest is to put it on Jim's 911 Yamaha boat. Jim doesn't like that idea. There is a 15 foot Viper for sale. I thought of getting it, cut the deck off,
remove all the core, transom wood etc. and then put a Critchfield deck on it. Costly and likely end up being a good V6 drag boat rather than a good T boat. Third option is getting a new 15 ft Allison from the states. Again a lot of money spent especially if the 4 stroke doesn't perform. BUT, the outfit would look good.

TOASTER news
Still no luck with Dave Scott with my rebuild. Dave if you read this. Just let me know if you can do the motor, no hard feelings at this end. I do not mind taking the motor back . So the 50D is still the old 5000 hour junker at this point.

The new Tohatsu with the mod rev limiter
I had to decide by Dec. 1 if I was going to order one. The performance results were not as good as expected and Todd suggested not to order one. Tohatsu has a NEW 50 hp 4 stroke model for 2015. It appears to have better performance. Todd is going to get one and test it on an SLT. I really appreciate his support.

The 49 cubic inch twin Carb Mercury in T750
The engine rules committee has decided to put that motor on probation in 2015. It was a legal motor in 2014 and the committee thought that motor on a 594 lb legal T750 boat would dominate the class.

More documents next year
T racers will be doing check lists and needing approval signatures next season.

T850
Look for an increase in entries next year.

T750
We have several new people interested. The new TOP GUN composite Critchfields have shown to make being competitive in the class very easy. The 594 lb weight is very difficult to make without a composite boat. WEIGHT is very important in this class. Most current T750's are way over weight. A 594 lb boat/motor/driver weight has no problem running 55 to 57 mph with non prepared 60 hp omc. The heavier boats need a lot of work and money spent to run in that speed range. I have been thinking ahead and purchased a new Critchfield.

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 2:47 pm   

Hi Don,

What exactly do you mean by putting the Merc twin carb on probation for 2015. If it was legal in 2014, then it is either illegal in 2015 or not? Are you saying it will be legal if it does not dominate, and illegal if it does? If so, then Craig F. will be punished if he runs well. What am I missing?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 3:53 pm   
Team Member

Thom. Craig is not a problem with his Mercury. He is competitive and he is way over weight for T750. I posted the note exactly how the rules group explained it to me. Dan with his Mercury are not a problem either. They are concerned that a 130 lb driver with fully race prep Mercury and a 594 lb weight will dominate. By saying probation they are telling that racer only "Don't go that route". Others in the group have also expressed concerns over the Mercury. The back up rule is the fair competition rule and the rules committee would like to avoid using it. Does this answer your concern?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2014, 7:08 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Thom,

The idea behind allowing the Merc to run was to encourage those that had them to come out and run....not necessarily to encourage exsisting 750 racers to upgrade to an 850cc motor and run in 750. We have a class to run 850's so I can't see the reason to encourage it's use in 750 while we have a good group of true 750's out testing and developing legal motors. There's also no shortage of 750 motors available. So, outside of allowing a rookie to come out and have a place to run before buying the correct motor for the class I really don't see how it should be a legal motor. The Craig situation kinda solved itself when he left Dunnville in a huff....I honestly don't have an issue seeing that boat in the 750 class because of the weight...but the 750 class will turn into an 850 class in short order if guys like Jake and Jessie make the switch.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 24th, 2014, 12:25 pm   
Team Member

More Tohatsu information:
Unlike the 40 and 50 hp Yamahas which are basically the same motor except of the jetting and tuner, the Tohatsu 40D and 50D models do not use the same block. From a performance view. The 50 hp is much better and you want a 50D. Also the older the 50D block the better. The castings get worse every year because of their large production.

50D Short shaft models are difficult to find. BUT, it looks like you can easily make a long into a short by just cutting off the lower part of the mid. Both the long and short share the same inner exhaust and it looks like you only need to shorten the water tube. The shift rod and drive shaft can be shorted. I have a long mid somewhere and I will check this out.

Up-date on the 2 cylinder Mariner
Had a real problem finding gaskets. The later 55 yamaha gaskets are different to the old 60 hp Mariner I have. Hoping the last ones I just ordered are OK.

New addition a 2 cylinder Suzuki...15 inch with factory trim.
Ron Hill told me about these motors years ago. Ron's wife set the record for an inflatable boat back in the 1980's.
I have had it for a while and it is difficult to find parts for it. I want to freshen first before racing it. Put OMC decals on it and it would past as one. It even has the old style power trim like the old OMCs.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2014, 3:29 pm   
Team Member

DOC, I found Santa, he lives in Florida and goes by the name EVAN.
Merry Christmas

EFI Yamaha 70hp short shaft -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByG5A7jF4m0

PostPosted: December 24th, 2014, 5:55 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
DOC, I found Santa, he lives in Florida and goes by the name EVAN.
Merry Christmas

EFI Yamaha 70hp short shaft -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByG5A7jF4m0

Sweeeeet....MAD efi/SDS controller and what looks like some stock yamaha efi components and a custom intake...easy peasy lol. Gig still has a dyno right??? Is that legal????

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: December 25th, 2014, 7:20 am   
Team Member

LEGAL????
Over the last couple of years we have seen interest in a MOD T Class.
APBA has a class call VP75
We can call our class VX75
Simple rules:
V hull minimum weight 850 lbs.
75 cubic inch maximum
Unrestricted

This would allow people like Mike to run his SST90 motors
Mod 90 yamahas to run
Kevin's new ETEC to run.
There is a lot of stuff to choose from.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2014, 11:52 pm   
Team Member

50 hp Tohatsu short shafts can be bought from any dealer in North America, as far as the reliability of the block I have nothing to compare it too but I beat the shit out of my original one for 4 years 3 stock settup and 1 with the ECU remapped to 6800 RP and and a majority of the use was running big waves loading and unloading the motor, now if you guys are strickly talking about 15-20 year old stuff then yes a old short shaft may be hard to find

Hounddog wrote:
More Tohatsu information:
Unlike the 40 and 50 hp Yamahas which are basically the same motor except of the jetting and tuner, the Tohatsu 40D and 50D models do not use the same block. From a performance view. The 50 hp is much better and you want a 50D. Also the older the 50D block the better. The castings get worse every year because of their large production.

50D Short shaft models are difficult to find. BUT, it looks like you can easily make a long into a short by just cutting off the lower part of the mid. Both the long and short share the same inner exhaust and it looks like you only need to shorten the water tube. The shift rod and drive shaft can be shorted. I have a long mid somewhere and I will check this out.

Up-date on the 2 cylinder Mariner
Had a real problem finding gaskets. The later 55 yamaha gaskets are different to the old 60 hp Mariner I have. Hoping the last ones I just ordered are OK.

New addition a 2 cylinder Suzuki...15 inch with factory trim.
Ron Hill told me about these motors years ago. Ron's wife set the record for an inflatable boat back in the 1980's.
I have had it for a while and it is difficult to find parts for it. I want to freshen first before racing it. Put OMC decals on it and it would past as one. It even has the old style power trim like the old OMCs.

http://thundercatracingna.com/

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 12:01 pm   
Team Member

[quote="hcdcanada"]50 hp Tohatsu short shafts can be bought from any dealer in North America. If you guys are strictly talking about 15-20 year old stuff then yes a old short shaft may be hard to find .

Todd is making a very good point.
In T we ARE running older motors.
[1] because they're affordable
[2] because they currently perform better.
[3] there are few short shaft new motors available

BUT, this is what we are seeing overseas and in some other CBF/APBA/ TORC SO Classes.
T classes have almost disappeared and are being replaced by GT classes.
GT classes only run the new motors.
GT30 class is very popular. STOCK 30 hp motors and speeds in the mid 50's.
Almost all of the top GT30 boats run TOHATSU.
GT60 and GT90 are developing and they will replace T850

In SO outboard the new SIDEWINDER motor is becoming popular.
I believe we have 10 in TORC now. They are a $5000.00 motor.
People are spending money.
These motors DUE perform better than the older motors.

One of the reasons I promote T750 is the different motor options.
Currently the OMC has the advantage.Our racers know more about them and there is information
and specs to make them perform in racing.

The 50 hp Tohatsu currently has the world record for T750 class. That motor is the old 90's model
and the European racers now how to get the most out of them. I believe the SLT record is also
an older Tohatsu.

BUT, it will only be a matter of time before the newer models out perform our current models in T750.
In T we encourage people to run the new motors in our rules. Other countries are doing the same.
The 30% rule which allows for newer models to be 30% larger in displacement are written into their rules.

Todd's comment is true. Tohatsu does have short shaft models.
A few of us should step up and get a 30 hp to get GT30 class started.