It is currently May 9th, 2024, 2:11 pm

VP75/T750….. CHALLENGE…CAN/AM CHAMPIONHIP

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 4:30 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

other than a little more of a challenge in the corners, that sounds like it would run about the same as Craig's boat did. Would have much more out of the corner and top speed I think than the 750s. Pretty sure Craig's boat would have been higher than that min weight too. I think they would likely need another 100lbs or the propshaft rule. Just my thoughts

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 6:03 pm   
Team Member

why is the boat length rule a maximum vs a minimum ?

Profile Send private message WWW  
 PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 9:56 pm   
Team Member

Craig had power trim - that's a big advantage over VP75 i think. BUT, craig was not prop'd right at all, so he kinda even'd out that way.
My checkmate without power trim would have been a lapped a few times haha. And the checkmate was heavier than an offshore boat.
I think it's worth a shot with these guys just how Don proposed. Just let em raise their engine.
As i type though, i guess that would be exactly what my critchfield is without power trim! I could race stephanie at 6mile without using trim and see how we line up!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 10:51 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Think we could get a couple out? Are there even many within a decent driving distance from here? It would be nice to see some more cross boarder racing in these classes.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 11:08 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

I am hoping to get a couple 750 races in this season. I have a motor pretty much ready to bolt on. It would be fun to have a couple races with these guys whatever the rules are. I wonder if many of these guys have power trim they just disable for the race?

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 8:17 am   
Team Member

To answer some of the questions in the posts.
VP75 does not allow power trim so their boats would not have it.
Why we have both a minimum and a maximum length.....to avoid what you see in many V bottom classes..larger hulls make larger holes in the water. Makes for poor racing. APBA for example ran 13 foot hulls in the same heat as 20 foot hulls. It killed the VP class...In T750 we have a 14 foot rule and in T850 it is a 15 foot rule. Now that we have a least one heavy 4 stroke, we may? need to allow 15 footers in T750. LCs post about the new 15 Allison will get many of us thinking. My 60 hp 4 stroke would handle much better on that hull compared to the Critchfield. Plus it would make less of a hole.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 8:35 am   
Team Member

Just as point of interest.

Jeremy, T750 boat 49, raced most of last season with no power trim and did just fine.

It would be great to see some more racing opportunities throughout the season.

T750 Boat #49 - Crew
2013, 2014, 2015 and 2017 High Points Champion

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 9:28 am   
Team Member

Trim is a preference thing and a specific setup thing that only benefits those that can manage it. I never had trim on my Allison and I think it would have slowed me down. That boat was easy to set in the turns, so I never felt like I wanted something else to think about. As a T850 boat, I would just cut the throttle at the turn, set and then gas all the way though and out of the turn. Believe me, that 3 cyl commanded some serious respect!!! With the T750 motor, I just had to turn the wheel a bit left before the turn to set the bow and keep my foot planted!! I agree that it can be an advantage for an experienced driver, but also a detriment for a new guy. There are so many different boats and setups out there, so each one has a specific driving style and will behave differently. All of the different boats is what makes these classes so interesting!!

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 9:48 am   
Team Member

WalkWithMax wrote:
Trim is a preference thing and a specific setup thing that only benefits those that can manage it. I never had trim on my Allison and I think it would have slowed me down. That boat was easy to set in the turns, so I never felt like I wanted something else to think about. As a T850 boat, I would just cut the throttle at the turn, set and then gas all the way though and out of the turn. Believe me, that 3 cyl commanded some serious respect!!! With the T750 motor, I just had to turn the wheel a bit left before the turn to set the bow and keep my foot planted!! I agree that it can be an advantage for an experienced driver, but also a detriment for a new guy. There are so many different boats and setups out there, so each one has a specific driving style and will behave differently. All of the different boats is what makes these classes so interesting!!

You were an ANIMAL with that 850 motor!!!

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 9:58 am   
Team Member

I have seen VP75 run at the Nationals in K3 it is hilarious ! There a great way to learn how to drive A V hull hang on! LOL