It is currently September 29th, 2024, 3:33 am

VP75/T750….. CHALLENGE…CAN/AM CHAMPIONHIP

View active topics

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 3:22 pm   
Team Member

We run T750 class in Ontario. In the US especially in the Twin Lakes area There is an APBA class called VP75.
Their class is restricted to 49 OMC big foots with the prop shaft 5 inches below the bottom.
Originally they thought their VP75 boats would outperform our T750 boats.
Now that they have heard more and see video of T750, they realize our boats are not only faster
but, they also handle much better.
A suggestion has been made to have their boats come to Ontario for a race and we return the favor
and go to their race. A fun competition that each Race Club could promote and attract more fans.

IT IS JUST AN IDEA AT THIS POINT!

I think a good starting point is to get one of their good boats to come up and race with us. That way we can
see if there is an easy way to make the two classes equal. Ideally it would be good if they could just raise their motor and run a different prop.

Anyone got any ideas or thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgMWbA4IE9Y

Profile Send private message  
 PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 3:48 pm   
Team Member

She would be a rough ride for a 750 boat...their bigger boats make it pretty rough going wake wise

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 3:59 pm   
Team Member

VP 75 TECHNICAL STANDARDS

Total Cu. In. Displacement Min. Boat Length Min. Wt.-Boat, Engine, Driver 45 to 49.9 cu. in. 13’ 900 lbs.

1) Boats must be molded V-bottoms.

2) Capsule and roll cages are allowed.

a) Boats with less than 20” of molded depth at the driver’s seat (external keel to top of gunnel) must have a roll cage per APBA Formula V class specs.

3) Driver’s seat must not be more than 36” aft of midships.

4) Steering: Mechanical push/pull (Ride Guide style) or Cable and Pulley Steering is allowed per APBA OPC standards.

5) Engines must be stock production and mass marketed class E (49.99 cu. in. max. total piston displacement). A .030 overbore is allowed.

6) Power trim is not allowed. Engines with factory power trim must be operable at the transom only, or disconnected. In addition, all engines must be tied down to prevent kick-up.

7) Thrust jacks and upper mount snubbers are allowed. (No solid mounts allowed.)

8) Engine Modifications:

a) Tilt switches, oil injection and rev limiters may be rendered inoperative.

b) Two 1 inch diameter holes can be drilled in the lower unit above the cavitation plates (readily plugged for testing and water skiing).

c) Cosmetic appearance may be changed.

9) Propellers - any through hub allowed.

10) Engines must be mounted such that when trim parallel to running surface, the center line of the propeller shaft is located 5 inches below the running surface.

11) 20-inch midsection only is allowed.

CANADIAN T750
T750 2 cylinder motors from 551 cc to 849 cc mci (exception Mercury 3 cylinder twin carburetor [49 cubic inch] allowed)
Only fiber composite construction molded V bottom monohulls are permitted. .
T 750 boat = driver 270 kg (594 lbs) 4.00 m (13' 1") 1.40 m (4' 7") 0.40 m (1' 3")
The maximum length for T750 is 4.25 m [13' 11"] SAFETY CELLS ARE NOT PERMITTED IN PRODUCTION STOCK
An electric starter must assure a quick and easy start without external aids. It must be used as it was supplied by the manufacturer, 12 or 24 volt allowed.
* Sole Modifications Allowed for T750
Only the following modifications are allowed:
1. All studs, screws, nuts, bolts and their washers are free as well as the method of locking them.
2. The original propeller may be replaced by another,
3. The gear case trim tab may be altered or removed and a nose cone added.
4. The cooling system must be provided by the water pump.
5. Thermostats and pressure valves of the cooling system may be removed.
6. Cable and pulley steering systems recommended. Mechanical or hydraulic systems allowed
7. The dampers (shock absorbers) may be altered or removed.
8. The rubber mounts of the motor may be altered, removed or replaced.
9. Revolution counters, water temperature gauges, water pressure gauges and similar instruments can be installed.
10. Revolution limiters may be removed.
11. The gear interlock device on the starter may be removed
12. Spark plugs are free
13. Original carburetor jets may be replaced for another size.
14. Springs may be added to the throttle lever of the carburetors.
15. Re-boring is allowed, to a maximum of 40 thousands over size.
16. OEM or aftermarket direct replacement parts approved.
17- The balancing and lightening of the power head's rotating assembly, port matching to the spec sheet. . Machining the block and cylinder head or using a custom head to achieve a maximum compression of 160 PSI is permitted. Modular cranks maybe pinned
18. Measurements not quoted in the homologation sheet shall only be checked by visual comparison with standard parts. As the actual manufacturing tolerances are not published, small differences between the inspected part and the reference part must be accepted.
19. The fuel connectors may be removed and the fuel hose from the fuel tank connected directly to the fuel pump.
20. Electric fuel pumps allowed.
21. No parts may be added to the motor unless specified in these rules.
22. Plastic reeds allowed and reed stops maybe removed..
23/16 Stock aftermarket replacement permitted

Last edited by Hounddog on April 23rd, 2014, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 4:07 pm   
Drag Racing Sponsor

Those guys sure don't hold back! Watched one guy roll over and another guy get run over after almost hitting the rescue boat lol. The tight 180 turns sure make for an exciting race.

19' Laser 380 Ray (Future Project)

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 4:30 pm   
Team Member

Looking at their VP75 rules. 900lb weight, No power trim, 5 inch prop shaft rule??
Seems like they have done everything to kill the performance.
The 13 foot length is the minimum length. That is why you are seeing longer boats in the class.
Longer, heavier, big props low in the water make for BIG holes. As LC said...ROUGH WATER !
Add that to a short course with sharp turns and it is bumper car racing. On our courses I think our T750 would be way ahead. But, I have been corrected many times before on this site.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 7:36 pm   
HPBC PRESIDENT

Hounddog wrote:
Looking at their VP75 rules. 900lb weight, No power trim, 5 inch prop shaft rule??
Seems like they have done everything to kill the performance.
The 13 foot length is the minimum length. That is why you are seeing longer boats in the class.
Longer, heavier, big props low in the water make for BIG holes. As LC said...ROUGH WATER !
Add that to a short course with sharp turns and it is bumper car racing. On our courses I think our T750 would be way ahead. But, I have been corrected many times before on this site.

I think you're right on this one Don :mrgreen: .

This would be an awesome event....rough or not it would be a blast. I would think a T would get out front but the conditions will keep it from being a blow out.

I've got enough torque to tear a hole....in time...

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 8:35 pm   
Team Member

It's so cool to see 'brother' boats i'll call them! Especially with screaming spectators! Maybe spectators are just more into it in america haha
But i wouldn't want to race in their class. Too dangerous from what i can tell. Ya they reduced performance/speed for safety, but they lost control-ability of the boats too, which brings them back to unsafe. Plus they make even worse water conditions than us - more unpredictably unsafe. So i dunno. I like the staple engine rules, but i don't like the lack of handling.
Just my thoughts on vp75 at the moment anyway

I would LOVE to try and mesh with our brothers in america somehow!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 8:46 pm   
Team Member

Don, here is your setup. I would think it would dominate a combo class.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 11:24 pm   
Team Member

LC, it is funny some times how things happen. The motor on that boat was in the mix of possible engines I was interested in purchasing. I ended up getting a new one in the case. One of my VooDoos was named TUFF E NUFF. I am concerned with the 250 lb motor on the transom of a Critchfield. I think a VooDoo may handle the weight better and history has shown that even though the VooDoo does not corner like a Critchfield, it does have more top end speed. Something this motor will need help in getting. So I have spoke to Chris about his Comp VooDoo. Many of us know that red VooDoo was originally raced by THE GUN. What would really finish the tale would be to have Paul drive his old boat with the 4 stroke and WIN!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 3:48 pm   
Team Member

We actually did have a close representation of a VP 75 boat two years ago in T750 at Gravenhurst. Jake ran his 13 foot Checkmate 70 hp long shaft combo. The difference to VP75 were prop and prop shaft position. [he was higher than 5 inches below the boat]. I can't recall if he had power trim. He was mid competitive, meaning he could run with the pack. The T750 boats are faster now, so he would be farther back. Craig Fraser's
Critchfield that ran last year was a bit too good. I bet if we let VP75 run at 750 lbs and no prop shaft rule they would be competitve,
So the rules would be
-13 to 14 foot boat no larger
- long [20"] shaft, stock [no 160 rule or mods] motor, big gear case, no nose cone, stock water pick ups
- no power trim
- no prop shaft rule
- any prop
- 750 lb minimum weight